Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Wednesday Hodgepodge

Yes, we will still be participating in Wednesday's Hodgepodge! For my A to Z
Challenge post you can just go here. You won't want to miss this one. It is my MOST embarrassing moment. Now on to the questions posed to us today by Joyce at Wednesday Hodgepodge.

1) What does retirement mean to you? Are you planning for it, not thinking about it, looking forward to it, or dreading it?

I was forced into early retirement in 2011 when Richard had a stroke and could no longer be left at home alone due to the short term memory problems. Then, as he became sicker, I became his full time (unpaid) caregiver! I am glad I could stay home. We juggled the finances and made it work. Then I took my social security early and have chosen to remain retired. I don't think I could go back to nursing again. What retirement means to me is going to bed when I want, getting up when I want, cleaning if I want, and sitting if I don't want. No more punching a time clock and living by someone else's rules. Freedom!

2)It's international guitar month. Do you play? What's a song you especially like to hear played on the guitar or a favorite song featuring the guitar?

I am not really a big fan of Led Zeppelin, but I love the guitar in Stairway to Heaven.





3) What's your comfort food?

My comfort food is sour cream. I like it on anything. Chips and sour cream are my go to comfort food!!

4)What's one activity or area of your life when you absolutely never procrastinate?

I don't think there is an area of my life that I don't procrastinate. I am a queen at procrastination. 

5)Who does the grocery shopping in your house? Does your local store bag the groceries for you or is it a do-it-yourself kind of place? Do you like someone packing your groceries?

Richard used to do all the grocery shopping. My friends were jealous of my 'grocery'shopping' husband. When he got sick and I had to start the shopping it was the one thing I hated. Now, I have gotten used to it. I try to only go once a week. No in-between trips. That is how much I don't like going. No, I don't pack up my own groceries. They still do that at my grocery store. I usually decline having them help me out with them because I like to put them in the trunk myself. But it annoys me if they don't ask me if they can help me!

6)What's the coolest thing you have seen in nature?

I can't think of anything Garden of the Gods in Colorado. That is pretty cool. And the Grand Canyon!

7)Share a favorite quote about home.







8)Insert your own random thought here.

I am in the midst of the A to Z Challenge. I try to do my part by getting out and visiting as many blogs as I can visit each day. There are 1,976 blogs lists. This changes daily as they weed out those who aren't participating. I am currently sitting at 1316. So far I have visited over 120 blogs, not counting the blogs of people I routinely follow. It still pains me to find those who have signed up and done nothing. Or those who have wonderful posts and yet I can't figure out how to comment. Yes, there are blogs where it isn't obvious where the comments are. Arggggg! So frustrating!

28 comments:

  1. Sour cream = battery acid. At least, according to my brother.

    If you can't figure out where to comment, click on the title of the blog post. Sometimes that opens it into its own page, and the comments appear at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! I will try that next time.

      Delete
  2. Sure wish I could have pulled my thoughts together enough to participate in the A-Z Challenge. Probably a good thing because I may have been one to bail after the first couple of posts because I couldn't keep up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If people put up a post as to not being able to keep up then it doesn't bother me as much! Not everyone can!

      Delete
  3. good song pick and those two places are beautiful. You knew rocks could be so wonderful.
    Yes freedom from time clocks, deadlines and schedule are a big benefit.
    I liked the questions today enough to submit a post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Lisleman. I'm coming to see what you have to say!

      Delete
  4. I love being retired - LOVE it!! I miss certain things - my friends, feeling like I'm using my brain in a different manner - and the money of course. but other than that - I'm good! I'm not a procrastinator at all (which is not always a good thing). Comfort food... nilla wafers and milk... Coolest thing I've ever seen in nature - the time I saw the Momma and Daddy cardinals teaching their baby to fly. I actually broke down and cried!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a big ol' procrastinator! It works for me..tee hee! I wonder what that will be like when I am retired and do not HAVE to do anything at any time. This could be a problem. LOL Good luck on your A2z challenge. I did it last year....whew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am retired and a procrastinator. I sometimes have to force myself to do things

      Delete
  6. I like the hodgepodge. It's fun to get such a cross section of ideas and information.

    Zulu Delta

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about trying to figure out some comments on people's blogs. The good news is that there are people checking out blogs and reporting if people are not participating and blogs are slowly but surely being removed.

    I'm not a grocery shopper; hubby likes to go up and down the aisles ever so slowly, LOL. I've been trying to be grateful to have money to be able to buy food, but it can be frustrating at times.

    I agree, Garden of the Gods and Grand Canyon are both very impressive!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty you must be very busy with moving and getting settled and doing the A to Z as well as helping with it!! And yet, I am thrilled that you still find time to visit my blog!

      Delete
  8. I love being on my own time clock,too. And "Stairway to Heaven" is an amazing guitar lover's creation. It's gorgeous! As is the Grand Canyon. Bryce also. Heaven's in those three things, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can find heaven in many places. Thanks for visiting Zippi

      Delete
  9. One of my co-workers vehemently dislikes/avoids those grocers who encourage you to scan and pack your own. I never thought about it before, but she says they're each taking away a job from someone.

    Stairway to Heaven never crossed my mind, but that's a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't visit those who expect me to pack my own either.

      Delete
  10. Huge procrastinator here, too. Also, I have been diligently trying to visit A-Z blogs as well--I am having a huge problem with the WordPress blogs because for some reason, it sends my comments to the spam folders when I try to comment with my WordPress ID. It will sometimes let me use my Google+ ID. I looked on various forums for a solution, but it says to email the blog owner and let them know you are not a spammer. So far, I've only been able to find one email address listed in any obvious place on any of the blogs. It is very frustrating. And like you said, trying to find the comment button to begin with has been pretty challenging on some of these blogs. Takes a tiny bit of the fun out of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just so maddening to look and look for a place to comment. I have just started not bothering. If they can't make it easy at least to comment then I just don't have time to read!!

      Delete
  11. I knew there was no way I could do the challenge this year with two vacations planned but I miss doing it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that I am doing it. It keeps me busy!! But I would rather be taking two vacations, to be honest!

      Delete
  12. The thing about embarrassing moments is that you can look back on them and have a laugh, or atleast other people can laugh. I personally try to forget all the foot in mouth situations!
    A liars den.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I have looked back on this one and laughed!

      Delete
  13. I try to read a few a day in the A-Z (except Wednesdays when it's all I can do to read the HP links!). If someone visits me from the A-Z I always hop over and visit them back. I've never seen the Grand Canyon in person but hope to get there one day. Good luck with your alphabet : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to keep up with those who comment on my blog plus read a few others. But if people don't make it easy then I can't comment. I just had one today that clicking on the name doesn't take me anywhere but to a blank page

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!