Sunday, April 10, 2016

My Simple Woman's Daybook-April 10th Edition

For today...

Like last week, I am posting this on Sunday due to the A to Z Challenge!!

Outside my window...

As the sun shines and the birds sing it is a beautiful spring day here in Kansas. It is already 70 degrees and not quite noon. All the windows are open to let in a very slight breeze!

I am pondering...
OMG!

I am pondering another year gone by. I turned 65 on Friday! Joined the world of senior citizens. Justin and the kiddos took me to Carlos O'Kelley's for dinner last night. I enjoyed a most delicious helping of Shrimp Picado accompanied by a frozen Margarito. The meal ended with a generous Sopapilla and singing by the wait staff! We could have done without that part! While at the restaurant we had an encounter with my ex-BIL and SIL (Justin's aunt and uncle) and invited them to the house for an evening of good chatting! 

I am thankful...

As always, I am thankful to have such a good and thoughtful son. He is helping me raise two good teen children and is also doing a good job with his girl! Thank all of you for a memorable birthday!!

I am pinning...




I colored some spring bookmarks and they were all snatched up by my grandchildren. These are for fall. You can get a copy of your own here. 











I am creating...


I have finished creating my spring mantle. Now, I am going to be working on some flower beds outside!



Moving Forward...

This week I am making a list of things that in the garage which I might want to sell. More clearing out. More moving forward. 






I am reading...

I am still trying to work my way through A Prayer for Owen Meany. I am a slow reader and just haven't spent much time, this past week, reading. 

On my camera...



My Spring banner made by Harley and Me

Birthday flowers

Birthday flowers

Spring Mantle complete


In My Kitchen...

Monday...Cornbread Salad

Tuesday...Chili Dogs & Fries

Wednesday...Kids eat at church

Thursday...Tacos

Friday...Blt's & Chips

Saturday...Spaghetti & Garlic Bread

Sunday...Steak, Veggies, Sweet potatoes
         Our Whole 30 begins

On My A to Z Challenge finds...

Of the many blogs I have ready this past week, The Life of Ordinary Me, has some very poignant reading. A tale of a young man who has suffered in a world of depression. Powerful writing. 

A favorite quote for today...




A peek into my week...

I need to order a corsage and pick up a tux this week! Prom 2016 is on Saturday. Also, he has a small photo shoot just prior to prom! Otherwise a week of ordinary!!





Postscript...I will be linking with The Simple Woman's Blog. Please join me, if you wish.

32 comments:

  1. hope you enjoyed your birthday dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! I hit that one next January. Beautiful flowers. Great learning more about you.
    I'm doing the A-Z as well at http://bunnysgirl.blogspot.ca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in Beverley! I'll come pay you a visit!

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a nice birthday outing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're finding such good quotes that match your inspirational word for this year, Your mantle looks very cheerful and I like the frames that hold the photos you have there. Is that a sombrero on your birthday head? The birthday food sounds delicious!!! Friday's BLTs sound very spring/summer-like. Matches the temps you have. I checked the link you provided to The Life of Ordinary Me and I agree with you about the writing. Very thought-filled. Thanks for the link. Hope the prom is fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look for quotes that are matching what I am feeling at the moment. I have a good assortment saved on Pinterest. I love quotes!! My birthday food was delicious and we had a good time. Even if they made me wear the silly sombrero! I will let you all know how much fun they have at the prom!

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday! And thank you for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday! Sounded like fun going out to eat, but I'm like you, I never like the fuss of someone singing happy birthday to me like that in the restaurant :)

    I'll check out that blog you highlighted.

    Have fun going through the garage with what you decide to sell/keep. When we were getting ready to move to Arizona, hubby finally got to the garage with all his dad's tools, etc. He sorted out what he wanted to keep and at one of our garage sales we put out the tools. He wasn't home for some of the sell and guys would come up to me to ask how much this or that was (he told me on big ticketed items what he wanted for them, but not for the "average" tool). I was clueless, not even knowing what some of them were, LOL, so I'm sure I made some pretty good deals for others :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the singing of Happy Birthday, but they usually try to embarrass you and I don't especially care for that. I'll probably seek the help of my brothers when I start to price the tools. I am wanting to do a big garage sale this summer!!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like life is good to you, these days! What a blessing a good son is! I got to see mine this weekend. He came in from the panhandle for Hazil's 4th birthday. Driving back today. The life of a pipeliner.
    Revisit the Tender Years with me during the #AtoZChallenge at Life & Faith in Caneyhead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father was a pipeliner! Life has been good to me!!

      Delete
  8. Happy belated Birthday! Sounds like you really got to celebrate. I haven't read but a few new blogs during the A to Z. Only those who visited me. I know I'm writing for myself this time. Which I know you understand. I am glad you are moving forward. Life does that for us, I think. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Inger I am but a mere bit ahead of your on the grief trail. It is hard. Very, very hard! Thank you for the birthday wishes.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday. I am really enjoying your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I am happy to have you visit!

      Delete
  10. Happy Belated Birthday! Your flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the wishes! Yes, the flowers were gorgeous.

      Delete
  11. Loving your birthday photo, senorita! :)
    Is that a photo of you and your siblings on the mantle?

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! I hate things like that "singing birthday and make me wear a stupid hat' but I went along with it. Yes, that is a photo of my siblings and me. My mom made all the sweaters we are wearing. I thought I had posted this picture before. But I can't find it. I will feature it one day soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to you! Belated but the sentiment is the same. I turn 65 in the Fall so you are just a little older than me. Time keeps on flying by:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, time is flying for sure!

      Delete
  14. Sounds like a lovely birthday! A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of my all-time favorite books. I am a big Irving fan generally and I put that one in his top 3. It is definitely long, but worth the effort, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such slow going. And there are things I haven't liked about it. But I am trying to withhold any judgment until I am done!

      Delete
  15. Happy Birthday! It sounds (and looks) like you had a wonderful celebration. Your flowers look lovely! I turn 52 in July. I haven't heard of that book, A Prayer for Owen Meany, but now am going to go look it up. I'm always looking for something else to read. I love your Spring mantel and banner. You've inspired me to have my hubby dig my decorations out of the garage. My daughter always decorated the house for the different seasons and holidays, and with her married and out of the house now, I just haven't been doing it, other than Christmas. I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! I think decorating for all the seasons keeps me active in what else is going on in life. And I have two teens here yet. (grandchildren)

      Delete
  16. So glad you had a Happy Birthday. May all your dreams come true this year.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!