Monday, April 11, 2016

Searching for the J

The A to Z Challenge takes us on a journey through the month of April. We write Monday through Saturday and take Sunday off. Hence, 26 days and 26 letters of the alphabet. Come in and see what snippet I'm sharing with you today.



I've been sitting here for a few days thinking about the letter J. What am I going to write about?? Will I write about the time we visited Japan? Well, it wasn't really a true visit. We had a layover in the Tokyo airport. We couldn't go any further than inside to the gift shops. I still call it my visit to Japan. I bought some adorable gift cards with little fabric inserts. I also bought some Saki cups. And promptly left them on the plane (along with my travel journal) never to be seen again. But there just wasn't enough there to compose into an entire post.

What to write? I sit here gazing around my house, trying to come up with an idea. My eyes land on a pile of junk next to the desk. I need to go through that and get things stored away. Also, there is more junk on a chair nearby and some on the floor under the chair. I open a near-by file drawer that is so filled with junk I can't get it to close properly. Excuse me a bit while I deal with that.
Not my junk drawer

Okay, I'm back. Did you miss me?? I had to put the wet clothes into the dryer and try to find some hangers to hang the dry clothes from the dyer on. I opened up the laundry room closet to see if there were extras in there. There is a huge pile of junk on the floor that really needs some attention. I am going to do that as soon as I find a subject for the letter J. What to write, what to write!!

I could write about how much I loved the game of jacks when I was a younger girl. But I wrote a snippet here about jacks. I want to keep my content fresh and not bore my readers. Do you know what I mean?

Can you wait for me another moment. My grandson needs help finding a Phillips head screw driver out in the garage. There is so darn much junk out there that it is hard to find anything. My dear late husband would have a fit if he were able to see how much junk is piled on top of his workbench. Not to mention the piles of junk that are on the other side of the garage. I have so much junk around here that it is spilling over into the little building out back that is supposed to house the lawnmowers. There is so much junk in there that I can't get the lawnmowers in there. They are in the garage, sitting among the junk that gathers there.

Do you find that you have a lot of junk that has gathered at your house? Stuff you keep that you don't really know why you keep it? It is on the top of my "procrastinators" list of things to do this summer. Clear out the JUNK! Wait, I think I just found a topic for the letter J!!!

40 comments:

  1. I know the feeling. You just have to find the time to go through. And get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL :) You did find something to write about :) After our terrible 4 year experience with getting rid of hubby's parents' junk, I take care of junk when it happens and dispose of it as quickly as possible. The paper junk that seems to get so out of control quickly is hard to keep up with, but manageable with a shredder and the recycle bin :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much paper here. Richard kept everything. I am slowly getting though it all. It is a slow process because sometimes there is pain associated with the memories!!

      Delete
  3. I can totally empathise. Good post. I understand about the memories. I had a lot of my mum's stuff here when we had to move her into a nursing home and 4 years on I still have stuff to get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! Not everyone understands why it takes so long!

      Delete
  4. You had me going there, lady! I thought in the end that J would be for juggle, cuz you were juggling a lot of things as you wrote your post. But Junk works for J, too!l Have a Jovial 'J' day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juggle would have been good, wouldn't it?

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh- you must have seen my house right now after the move. TOO MUCH JUNK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol! Very cute! We've spent the last few weekends getting my dad's junk ready for a garage sale in a few weeks! Hopefully someone will want to make his junk their junk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, we can do the same this summer!

      Delete
  7. I started doing the "40 Bags in 40 Days" challenge - I think that's from a blog too, but she's renamed it since. Basically, you commit to clear one container of your choice (garbage bag, grocery bag, box...) each day for 40 days. It's amazing how "one bag" turns into "one area of the house cleared" once you get going!
    Now I just always have a box out for things I find that I can donate. Every few weeks, I take a box to Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to read about other people's junk, it makes me feel so much better about my own. Seriously though, my husband had a hard time saying no to stuff and then getting rid of stuff. It is very easy for me to do the opposite, so a huge part of this past year has been devoted to getting rid of his junk. Of course, I've had to go through it all before donating or tossing it and that has at times been very sad. I'm on the pictures now and that's probably the worst, but I have promised his sister and brother some of the duplicates Errol made for them, but never got around to give them. Oh, well, it will all get done some day.... Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard was very much the same! And I guess I am too?

      Delete
  9. I found the easiest way to handle the JUNK, move. As I packed for my move I only took what I needed or felt I needed in the next few years. I gave away a lot and then left more in the house for the next owner to dispose of. Only a couple of times have i thought of something I used to own and wondered where I hid it away, only to finally remember that it didn't make the cut in needed keepsakes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to have it all pared down before I make a move. I won't have the luxury of leaving all my junk in the house for the next homeowner to deal with!

      Delete
  10. Ever watch Antiques Roadshow? Someone's junk is another man's Winfall .

    ReplyDelete
  11. We get so used to seeing our junk we don't even think about it:) And even though I've simplified and decluttered, I find that junk has regrown in my junk drawer and my laundry room. I should do something about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! And thank junk drawer never goes away, does it?

      Delete
  12. My husband calls it junk and clutter I call it my creative supplies and precious memory pieces :) My post today was about junk modelling so maybe you could use some of your stuff to create new items???? This is a J for JOKE as I happen to know just how busy you are, Paula :)
    Pempi
    A Stormy’s Sidekick
    Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
  13. I get such a kick out of your writing, Paula!
    Last year, I pretty much got our home's innards cleaned up and sorted ... but the garage and Tom's workbench are out of control. There are days I fantasize about taking a match to it. I've told him, if at day's end if something's left in my way I'm running it over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra. I write like I think. I think!

      Delete
  14. We've managed to stay "junk" free for awhile now. I'd have to say that the biggest anti-junk thing in our lives has been multiple moves. Nothing like a cross-country move to make you get rid of stuff. And now that we are settled here in NM, we have a rule...if you haven't thought about it, seen it, or used it in the last 6 months, you don't need it. Other rule? The car has to be parked in the garage. Good luck with your junk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My car is parked in the garage. I just have a lot of junk all around it!!

      Delete
  15. Where were you going or coming from that made Japan the layover?! It must have been both far and exotic! And airports totally count...it's Japanese soil, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We started that trip in Sydney and ended it in Bangkok. We were flying home. The layover was in Tokyo!

      Delete
  16. One of us can't stand the junk, the other one doesn't seem to see it. The older we get the less energy we seem to have to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think we all have junk. I am trying to clear some of it out and get rid of it for good. Good Luck with your Junk!:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very clever Paula. I have drawers in my house that I could just empty into the garbage and never miss the junk. I don't even know what's in there but I guarantee whatever is in there I will need the day after I throw it away LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth Wendy!! That is a guarantee!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!