Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Wednesday Hodgepodge-March 9th Edition


Do you know what happens on Wednesdays? Yep, Wednesday Hodgepodge. All you have to do is visit Joyce From This Side of the Pond...get the questions...provide the answers on your blog and sign up on the linky!!
 
 
1. March is National Women's History Month. In that vein, who are three women who've been influential in your life? How so? 
 
1) my mother-This woman was amazing. She raised 5 kids alone! We all turned out (seemingly) okay. She was the strongest woman I ever knew!
 
2) my mother-in-law-A beautiful woman who took care of her husband with Parkinson's and showed me how to persevere with grace and dignity.
 
3) Lois Miller RN-Lois was my counselor when I went back to college to become a nurse. She was my encourager, my cheerleader, my tutor, my champion, Sadly, I have lost contact with her over the years! Nurses move a lot!

2. In what ways do you think women have it easier than men?
 
I have never thought women have it easier than men. We each have different roles in life. I have never wanted to change places. And, now, I am doing the role of both in my family. Does anyone know of a nice man who would like to assist?? Kidding! Just kidding! 

3. What do you need most right now: faith, love, hope, or peace? 

I think right now what I need is peace. I have faith and I know there is hope. Plenty of love at this house. But I yearn for peace!

4. Do you have a collection? If so, what do you collect and why?

There is more than one collection gathering dust at this house. Richard collected miniature farm and construction equipment, as well as trains. I haven't done anything with them. It is hard to decide what to do. The kids all want a piece of his collection. But no one wants the whole thing. And so far I haven't heard of anyone who wants to pay me what they are worth. So there they sit! And I collected dolls. Same thing! Not worth a lot of money right now. And hard to let them go. I recently gave a pair of them to a pastor who was leaving our church. They are for his little girl when she is older. I wish I could answer the question WHY?? I just don't know. I loved it at one time.
 
 

5. Plaids, checks, polka dots, stripes...your favorite?

None of these are part of my wardrobe. All of these have been part of my wardrobe in past years! I don't have a favorite. Polka dots on little girls' dresses tug at my heartstrings!
 
 

6. In what ways are you the same as your childhood self?

My childhood self knew that 'tomorrow will be a better day'. I still believe that today!



 
 
 

7. You're a contestant on the TV game show Jeopardy. What category will you ace?

I would ace the category "medical terminology" if there were such a category. I am not really good at this game. However, I have always thought Justin should be a contestant. He is such a 'know it all'.
 
  

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I sent Darian off to Oklahoma today for his Marine physical and swearing in. He is in the delayed-entry program so he will return to finish school before he leaves for boot camp. He is a grown man now. No longer a little boy. I am very proud of him!!

24 comments:

  1. Wishing Justin well as he enters the Marine Corps. My dad was a Marine, and I think you're right to feel very proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Darian...my grandson who is becoming a Marine. And Thank you Joyce for your wishes!

      Delete
  2. WTG Darian with his future career!! Wonderful women who influenced you too! I think I would ace medical terminology too (that and drug names, legitimate drugs that is :)

    It is interesting with collections. We'll never get what we think they might be worth. I know when we were trying to look into selling some of hubby's parents' things we found out that a lot of baby boomers were doing the same with their parents' things and was driving the market down on potentially what things could be worth. So we figured we would never get what we thought they could be worth and ended up disposing of them for pennies on the dollar, only because we didn't want to cart them around with us. What's the saying, one man's junk is another man's treasure. The thing is trying to find the one that is willing to pay for the treasure.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be as good with the drugs. Been away from it too long and new drugs come along every single day. It is sad with collections. I just can't yet let them go for nothing. But I might have to someday!

      Delete
  3. I would probably do well in the literature/book category on Jeopardy. I watch it every night - and get so thrilled when I get the ending question right and none of them does - LOL!
    Plaids - I've always liked plaids - but more of the muted colored ones. One of my favorite blouses (that I no longer have) was plaid and I wore it a lot. Polka dots make me smile... I do have a black top with white polka dots and red trim that I still wear from time to time...
    Good luck to Darian!! and God be with him as he goes on this journey!!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. God will be with him! Polka dots make me smile as well.

      Delete
  4. Paula, my mother would have loved having you as her daughter! I suspect she was a little heartbroken when her only daughter exhibited no interest in the dolls she'd buy. (Except, well once I tried giving my poor Barbie doll a hair cut and she wound up looking like a Camp Pendleton recruit.)

    Best of luck to Darian!!!

    PS - I'm sitting this Hodgepodge out ... just didn't 'feel' the questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost sat this one out for the same reason. LOL! Your mom and I would have shared the dolls.

      Delete
  5. Such awesome news about your son...I wish him well on this new chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A cute way to divide up the farm equipment minis and the trains is to make what is in effect a shadowbox, and place a few pieces of the train on a short bit of track. If the scale is the same, put some pieces of farm machinery along the "right of way." My husband also likes N-scale trains. The money is all out-go. Only rare pieces fetch any kind of good money.

    Congrats to Darian! Someone who knows where he's going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a good idea Dame. There are hundreds of them! It is sad that they aren't worth what one thought they would be. Not even worth what we paid for them.

      Delete
  7. Very exciting yet nerve-wracking for Darian!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a medical terminology category on Jeopardy. Well, not that specifically, but they have various medical categories pop up from time to time.

    Wow, time flies. It won't be long now before Darian graduates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He graduates May 15. Time is flying right past us!

      Delete
  9. Good to see them setting off, confidently. Emily graduates in May, but it's all one less day to college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darian has chosen the Marines over college. I support his decision, but would have liked to see college first. I guess we have to let them do what they want with their lives, huh!

      Delete
  10. I like your positivity in #6. You have every right to be proud of Darian. Exciting but challenging times. 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I felt that positive then. But I know it to be true today!

      Delete
  11. Have you been told where Darian will be attending boot camp? I have several collections that I don't collect any more as well. I think the only active collection I have are my cookbooks and each vacation I buy a new ornament for our Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will go to California for boot camp. But first he has to finish high school. I wish that I had purchased ornaments from everywhere we traveled. We did a few!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!