Sunday, March 6, 2016

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Overview from Barnes and NobleIn this seductive, wistful masterpiece, Truman Capote created a woman whose name has entered the American idiom and whose style is a part of the literary landscape. Holly Golightly knows that nothing bad can ever happen to you at Tiffany's; her poignancy, wit, and naïveté continue to charm.This volume also includes three of Capote's best-known stories, “House of Flowers,” “A Diamond Guitar,” and “A Christmas Memory,” which the Saturday Review called “one of the most moving stories in our language.” It is a tale of two innocents—a small boy and the old woman who is his best friend—whose sweetness contains a hard, sharp kernel of truth.

 
Who hasn't heard of Truman Capote? He is probably one of the best known authors of the 20th Century. I knew him best by the book In Cold Blood. This true story, In Cold Blood, took place in Kansas, about 3 hours from my house.
 
 
I have heard about Breakfast at Tiffany's, but never read the book or saw the movie. This book is on our book club list for 2016.
 
The book is  called a novella and contained three other (very) short stories. I loved them all.
 
Breakfast at Tiffany's is the story of a call-girl who lives in an apartment in New York City. The story is told through the eyes of a struggling writer who lives upstairs from Holly Golightly. (Love the name)Holly has many suitors and adventures. She is quirky, witty, and a bit crazy!  After being arrested for carrying info for Sally Tomato (a crime boss in Sing Sing prison) she disappears and is only heard from once again through a post-card to the writer, who has fallen in love with her.  
 
 
My favorite of the short stories was A Christmas Memory. The story is about two relatives; one quite young and one much older who live together in a time when money is hard to come by. They earn money to make fruitcakes and send them to people who mean something to the two of them. Sometimes even to the White House. Then they get a Christmas tree, decorate the house, makes gifts for the family and for each other. The young lad is sent away to school and the older lady stays home and misses him. The descriptive words and phases used by Capote in this book had me smelling both fruitcakes and Christmas pines. A very touching story!! 
 
 
Have you read any Truman Capote's books? Have you seen this movie? It is my understanding the book and the movie are vastly different!
 
Now I am off to chose my next book!

22 comments:

  1. I haven't read them, but I think "A Christmas Memory" was also made into a movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might have been. I am not much of a movie girl!

      Delete
  2. I've read A Christmas Memory so many times and loved it each time!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it too Linda. This was my first reading...

      Delete
  3. I've read all Capote and I've seen both the movies. The movie, Breakfast at Tiffany's, bears little resemblance to the book, except both are about a blyth spirited young girl. It is the movie that taught me (at age 18) film and print are separate genres, and should not be judged one by the other. That said, both were brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truman Capote was brilliant in his writing. I have read that he really wanted Marilyn Monroe to play the part of Holly Golightly in the movie. Instead they chose Audrey Hepburn.

      Delete
  4. I love, love, love Joanne's comment!! I am raising GN to understand that books and movies are separate genres and should be judged by dispfferent criteria. Both can be brilliant entertainment and both can be crap or anything in between. That said, I own a copy of Christmas Memory and love to read it. I have read In Cold Blood. Capote and Harper Lee were lifelong friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I am not a big movie person I don't have much to say about the vast difference of books and movies. I do know that when I have read a book and then see the movie, I always like the book better. I read that about Capote and Lee being friends!

      Delete
  5. Sad to say I haven't read any of his works, but I'm going to try to remedy that in the near future; nor have I seen Breakfast at Tiffany's; heard about it, just never saw it. Thanks for the reviews :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly enjoyed his style of writing in these 4 stories!

      Delete
  6. Many (myself included) consider A Christmas Memory to be the best-written short story in existence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I now join that esteemed group!!

      Delete
  7. The only Capote book I have read is In True Blood. I didn't realize that took place so close to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read any of Capote's books ... but based on this review, that's about to change!
    Certainly, I failed miserably in my intent to read 2 books/month. So, we'll just do 4 in March. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can catch up with reading this one. It is very short. Less than 200 pages!

      Delete
  9. I've only ever seen the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's. And I've seen the movie of A Christmas Memory, too. That was more recent, a TV movie if I recall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen either movie. I will have to look and see if I can find them!

      Delete
  10. You know, I have never read Truman Capote. I will have to rectify that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found his writing to be very nice!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!