Wednesday, March 30, 2016

A Fool's Hodgepodge




It's Wednesday and we are going to talk Hodgepodge. If you want to join then your need to head over to From This Side of the Pond and pick up the questions, answer then on your blog, and link up! Come on, you know you want to!

1)What are two or three expectations you have of yourself?

I probably hold myself to a higher standard that I hold others. I am my own worst enemy sometimes. I expect honesty, loyalty, and follow-through. Those are the three that I can think of right off the top of my head. Honesty is the biggie for me!!

2)In what way does your outdoor space need sprucing up this spring?

Egads, every way! I have a ton of raking to get done. Leaves are stuck in bushes, pampas, up against the sides of the house, on the back patio...everywhere! I have places that need paint touch-up and still have a backdoor that needs repainted and the locks changed. We are removing the raised garden beds that Richard put in and that still needs to be done. I want to clean out the garage and have a huge garage sale. Yikes, this all makes me tired. Think I'll grab my book and put my feet up while sipping on some lemon water. See how easily this all gets put aside?

3) According to this site (Roadtrippers) six of North America's most wondrous waterfalls are: Webster's Falls in Ontario, Upper White Water Falls in North Carolina, Havasu Falls in the Grand Canyon, Multomah in Oregon, The Lower Yellowstone Falls, and Niagara. Have you seen any on the list? Which on the list would you most like to visit? Prettiest waterfall not on the list that you have seen in person. 

I have been to The Lower Falls in Yellowstone and also seen the Falls at the Grand Canyon. I would most like to visit Niagara Falls, but I doubt that I ever will. And we have seen many pretty falls when we vacationed and hiked through the mountains of Colorado. I think all waterfalls are breathtakingly beautiful!

4) Looking back, what is something you wish you had done as a teenager?

I can't think of a single thing that I wish I had done as a teenager. I lived a pretty typical teen life with a pretty-much 'in control' mother. If she allowed it, we (well, I should say I) did it! What I wish I had done, though, was live on my own before I got married and had kids. I have never lived on my own. That is a goal I am looking forward to achieving in my future!! (Sorry, kids)

5) Ham, yes please...or no thank you? If you said yes, please which of the following do you like best-baked ham with all the trimmings, a ham and cheese sandwich, prosciutto with melon, a ham biscuit, a bowl of split pea and ham soup, or a slice of pizza topped with ham and pineapple? 

I love ham. A good ham baked with all the trimmings! We had that for Easter dinner on Sunday. It was delicious! We are still eating leftover ham. I like ham and cheese sandwiches. Either leftover from the baked ham or wafer sliced from the deli. I love split pea soup but my grand-kids don't so I probably won't be making that anytime soon. My favorite way to eat ham is to wrap a slice around a dill pickle. Yummy! And you can spread some cream cheese on the ham before you wrap that pickle to make it even more yummy!!

6) Are you typical of your generation? How so?

I'm a baby boomer. The media will tell you that baby boomers saw an increase in educational, financial, and social opportunities. I think I am pretty typical of that. I was able to go to college, but I got married and had kids first. I was married at age 18 and had my first baby at age 20. I didn't start college until I was 29. They also portrayed us as a generation of optimism, exploration, and achievement. I am not really an optimist. I am a glass half-empty person. But I have explored and traveled all over the world. The baby boomer generation participated in some of the greatest social changes in the history of this country during the 1960's and 1970's. Both in Civil Rights and in the Women's Movement. I am a feminist. I never burned my bra. In fact, I wear a bra. But I do believe in equal rights. For the same job. When I became a nurse, and all the way through my nursing career, in this area, male nurses and female nurses were paid the same pay rate. Males nurses were no more likely to be promoted than a female nurse was. Being a homeowner is something many baby boomers accomplished. I own my home. Free and clear of any mortgages. Although, it took me 30 years to get there! Unlike many baby boomers, I am already retired and I am not obsessed with health and fitness. Maybe I should be! I think I am pretty typical. But, with differences!

7) April rolls in at the end of the week and in keeping with that theme....'act the fool', 'nobody's fool', 'a fool's errand', 'could have fooled me', which foolish idiom most applies to you? Explain.

This is funny, because just last night, I said to my grandson, "I am nobody's fool", he was trying to tell me something that might have been a bit hard to believe. He gets a kick out of the idioms I use. Like, "I didn't just fall off yesterday's turnip truck." Do you speak with idioms often?

8)Insert your own random thought here.

Yay, my computer dude called me and said the computer was back up and running. It just need a new power supply unit and he replaced it with a 'refurbished' one. I'm sure he will either show up with a surge protector or give me a strong suggestion to get one. I am so glad I have this guy to call on when I need to.  

I am so excited to share that I have started working on my posts for the A to Z Challenge which begins on Friday!! I am not really following a theme of any sort. I am just writing about Smidgens, Snippets, & Bits of my life! Hope you'll come visit me all through April!

36 comments:

  1. Hi Paula - I'll be there reading and following along .. take care .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary. I am looking forward to your A to Z too!

      Delete
  2. Those are reasonable expectations which I, too, hold for myself and everyone else.

    I smiled when you ended your answer to the outdoor chores. It is so easy to come up with things better to do than the chores that await. I'm procrastinating right now as a matter of fact. :)

    Congrats on paying off the house! That is certainly not typical for just about any generation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not get much done today. I decorated my planner and read a book! Much procrastination!!

      Delete
  3. as a teenager in high school, I wish I had joined in on more of the activities that went on. But I was too shy... and a lot of my friends moved on without me.. and became engulfed in these things and made new friends!
    I went to Niagara Falls a long long long time ago! It was astounding - I can still imagine the spray of water hitting my face - all these years later...

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was rather shy in high school too!

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to your A/Z! Glad you got a head start on them! I like the idioms you use and I use the same myself. I get weird looks, but who cares :)

    I do wonder, like I said on someone else's post, what happens when all the baby boomers start retiring. It will tax Medicare/Social Security worse than it already is (though we did pay in all those years) and will probably open up the job market more for kids getting started.

    That does sound good with ham and pickles :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just stories. What my kids would call "mom's war stories" But it is fun to write them

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you're in the A-Z, and I'll look for your posts. My plan is to get one done today. We'll see, since it's now 5 pm : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joyce! I will be looking forward to reading yours too!

      Delete
  6. Shoot, I'm getting weary just listening to your plans to spruce the backyard! I don't know what DH and I were thinking when we bought a house, since neither of us likes yard work. Presently it's such an eyesore, I just keep the back shades drawn!

    Idioms? I can't recall anything off the top of my head, but some days stuff rolls off my tongue and I feel like Methusela -- working around folks young enough to be my grand-kids.

    I'll have to share your secret recipe with Tom! I'm not fond of pork, but he loves him some ham, pickles and cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love outdoors with Richard. Since he is gone I haven't done much. Hopefully I will get some 'get up and go' soon

      Delete
  7. I so admire you for joining the A-Z Challenge...I just don't have it in me. Best of luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I did either, this year. But I am plunging ahead.

      Delete
  8. I'm with you on many things. I have never seen a waterfall. Would love to! One I could swim up to. Ham, well, any pork, rocks! And I tend to see the glass half full. The eternal it will be better tomorrow girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, swimming up to a waterfall would be most awesome

      Delete
  9. Yea for the computer! Do get a suge protector, pretty please. I loved seeing Niagara Falls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your A to Z sounds like mine. Are you looking forward to it?

    Glad your computer had an easy fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as I don't get stuck, I will be looking forward to it!! LOL!

      Delete
  11. Once again your post makes me smile, nod my head and think! I'm in exactly the same boat as you with regards to the outdoors - so much to do so little time to do it!! So happy you're joining in with the A-Z - you know I'll be reading :) Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace a Stormy’s Sidekick minion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my case it is not that I don't have the time to do it. It is more like I am just not ambitious at all!

      Delete
  12. I have seen all of the waterfalls listed and loved them all. Multnomah Falls in Oregon though might be my fave. I hate ham. I'm so weird because I love bacon, pork chops, pork loin but not ham!
    I love your honesty and that's one of my favorite things about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine anyone that hates ham. Yet I have met a couple. I still love you though!

      Delete
  13. I'm so excited that you'll be participating in the A-Z! It's going to be a busy month!!
    Your post made me giggle: the part about putting your feet up when thinking about all the outside work that has to be done. I do the same thing. I'm a habitual procrastinator. I'm quite often a "I'll do it tomorrow" person...
    I've been to Niagara Falls a lot. I grew up there! Was born and raised there and when company came to town, we'd always load up and take them to the Falls. It's quite impressive. Phenomenal really. I hope you get to see it one of these days...

    So glad you're getting your computer back and that it was just the power supply part! Very lucky that you didn't lose everything.

    Enjoy today because tomorrow starts when we'll all crazy busy visiting as many blogs as we can all month... I'll look forward to reading your posts.

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele. I am ready for the trip to all the blogs! That isn't hard to do. I don't have to get up and get outside!!

      Delete
  14. Love Multinomah Falls in OR!! I have never done the A to Z but then I ramble on everyday anyway. We have a external power supply that keeps our computers on during a power outage, it works long enough to get them shut down...here in the boonies we need that! The darn things makes an alarm noise that will really wake you up in the middle of the night!
    I like Ham. Usually just baked or fried works for me, I also like Ham and Scalloped potatoes but no one else does so I hardly ever make them. To tell you the truth I never met a potato I didn't like:)
    I don't think I am typical anything but perhaps I am...I am cranky and like things done a certain way.
    I am certain that everyday is a challenge for you without your Richard at your side. I bet living alone is not so much fun at our age we should have done it before we got married!!
    We often say around here "It is what it is." And when the world creeps too far in "Not my monkey, not my circus" works for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, ham and scalloped potatoes. Yummy! I am am cranky at times too. In fact, a lot of the time! LOL I took care of an older Amish woman in the nursing home who liked to tell me, It is what it is! But I love saying Not my monkey, not my circus! thank you for that!!

      Delete
  15. Enjoyed reading this post and will be checking in on you're A to Z theme. Not sure that is something I could handle just now. Tried to do this weeks hodgepodge and could not complete all the questions. Thanks for you visits my way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visting me Kranky! I so understand about the challenge. It can be a bit much if you haven't planned ahead. I am going to kind of wing it!

      Delete
  16. Niagara Falls is the only on the list I have seen and they are impressive but not nearly as beautiful as the Tahquanmenon Falls in the Upper Peninsula here in Michigan. Most beautiful I have ever seen and I have even been to Angel Falls in Venezuela and Dunn Falls in Jamaica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe someday I will see your falls. I have seen some beauties on my trips. I forgot all about Venezuela. We saw falls there too!

      Delete
  17. We are going to see Niagara Falls in May!!! We met some people on a cruise around Hawaii a few years ago so they said, "Come visit us in Upstate New York". So we are. May 19th we'll be flying 14 hours to LA and then on to NY the next day after a rest at a hotel.
    Like you I just turned 65. That entitles me to the Old Age Pension. Aaaaargh! Still it is nice to get a handout from the government even though it isn't much. I now get free car registration, free National Park access and reduced prescription cost among other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure where you are from Linda, but you have some good benefits for turning 65. Nothing much is happening in the good old USA except for your social security and it is a very small pension compared to the cost of living. I am happy for your plan to go to Niagara Falls next month!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!