Friday, March 4, 2016

7 Things I have learned from using Facebook

A few days ago I decided to dial back my use of Facebook. It just isn't a place I want to hang out anymore. So I kept my grandchildren and shut off all other relationships!! All of them!! If you were one of my friends on Facebook and have found that I 'unfriended' you it doesn't mean a thing! I still like you! You are still important to me. I am just cutting back!

Facebook really isn't a nice place to hang out and one can get caught up in all the crap that goes on there. I know that I have. And I don't want to anymore. I have learned a lot about society during my years on Facebook. What I have learned is:

1) People are not very nice when they are hiding behind a keyboard. Me included. Anonymity leads you down a nasty path. I'm checking out!

2) People aren't really interested in what you have to say or what you are doing. I once posted: "tired of life" as my status. I had one person (a lovely blogging friend from Canada) respond. That's it! One!

3)You only see the parts of life people want you to see. The lovely pictures of their homes, the smiling, posed pictures of their kids. Not real life. Not the stacks of dirty laundry! Not the dirty dishes. Not brats (which is who kids are 90% of the time). Fancy pictures and perfect kids can bring out the green-eyed monster. I don't like that about myself. And I don't want to play that game anymore.

4) Facebook is not very private. You can no longer keep your name hidden when people want to search for you. One reason why I never used my real name! Well, it is part of my real name! Just not all of it.

5) No one really has that many friends. Acquaintances maybe, but not real friends. That many relationships is too hard to manage.

6) My news feeds are no longer full of things I want to read. And there are way too many ads. Facebook is using us to make money! And what are we getting back in return?

7) It is a huge time waster. If I spend one hour every day (and that is a really shortsighted guess) that adds up to 15 days a year on Facebook! What??? I must be crazy! Do you know what I can do with an extra 15 days? I can read, relax, talk to my family, play games (actual board games, not Facebook games) do the laundry, clean the house, go out and meet real, live friends! 

Bottom line is this: I still want you to be my friends. My email can be found right over there in my right sidebar. We can have a one on one personal conversation. I'm here anytime! I just won't be on Facebook.  Well, except to see what those kids are up to. You know what I mean.

26 comments:

  1. That's funny, Paula. After years of resisting FB, I felt like I must be weird (extra weird) so I got on FB. And after about 3 months now, I can't stand it. I don't want to go look anymore. I always called it "Fakebook" before, and I was right and you are right! But I know some shut-ins who really enjoy it and have an enhanced life because of it. But that's a pretty rare case. I think most of us would do well to stick to real life more, and FB less!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Dame! I know my life will be enhanced without it!!

      Delete
  2. I have an account and visit about twice a year! My in-laws started trying to find me there and thank heaven they never succeeded! I,too, like my friends and family there but it is as you say - too much barnyard bullying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twice yearly would do it for me! I will see how well I do with just cutting back

      Delete
  3. I've always been a FB looker and occasional commentor (less than five time a year, I'll bet). FB never appealed to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have FB. Looks like I haven't missed anything. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pretty much scroll my newsfeed and do nothing else. It's the only way I know what's going on with my brother's family (my SIL keeps updating), but that's pretty much it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know what is going on with the most of my family members. They don't post or they have me blocked

      Delete
  6. Whew! Now I know I didn't do anything to offend! :)

    Everything you've said is so spot-on, Paula ... I'm a bit embarrassed to be caught up in it. Then again, FB let's me keep up with my Alabama 'kids' lives ... and even reconnect with folks I've not thought of in years -- "Jody" (now Joe) for who I used to babysit when he was but 5 y/o and my college roommate who I'd not spoken to in more than 40 years!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops ... make that 30 years!

      Delete
    2. No, not you at all Myra! I know that we will communicate here or you will email me!! I haven't really re=connected with anyone from my past....probably a good thing

      Delete
  7. I mainly use Facebook to keep up with family; you are right, you see people who have over 300 friends on it and I'm like "really?" I have maybe 46 and 2/3 of those are family members :) Only beneficial thing for someone to be friends with me on Facebook is that I'll post pictures there that I won't post on my blog, but otherwise you are right, it can be a time sucker. I belong to several groups here in the city I live; mainly when we first got here to see what was going on, etc. Once we move though I'm going to clean up a lot of that and keep it more simple.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I belong to groups too. But I will still visit those!

      Delete
  8. Agree, agree, agree, agree, agree, agree, and finally, #7 agree.

    I agree so much that I tried to quite Facebook 'permanently' a few years ago - no matter what they say when you are going through the steps - your account is NEVER erased from their data base. I am living proof. Anyway, I started un-friending folks as well mostly because some people's political views are abhorrent and just set my teeth on edge. I don't need those words or images in my brain. During the political season, it is like the biggest 5th grade pissing match you ever saw. I don't mind different political opinions but when it falls into making things up I draw the line. I stay for my family pictures and some groups I found. And I stay because the account can't be erased ... although I might try again at some point. Meanwhile I will continue to un-friend and block some kinds of posts so it doesn't impact the true friendships I do have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard others says that it is impossible to delete their accounts. I didn't unfriend people for any other reason that I just don't want to be tempted to hang out on Facebook. I am working towards giving it up!!

      Delete
  9. I've never had a Facebook account. I only have a Twitter feed because the newspaper that used to carry my blog wanted me to set it up. I get irritated when i want to comment on a news story in the local paper but need a Facebook account with at least five friends to do so. What does that prove? Thanks for posting this and letting me know I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is ridiculous the way they are controlling people!

      Delete
  10. I will be staying on facebook only because of the cooking clubs to which I belong. I do find myself getting caught up in all the political drama that is on facebook even when I swear to myself I won't. I am glad that we will still be touching base with each other through blogs and emails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is the political climate that has me all worked up too!! LOL! And anything to do with cop bashing makes me see red. Yes, I will keep in touch with you always through email and blogging.

      Delete
  11. I don't like facebook either but I do like to see my grands and my brothers kids, I find the news feeds to be real negative...I need positive thoughts not negative ones:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Paula .. I was encouraged at the beginning to garner FB acquaintances ... I rather wish I hadn't - but there's not that many there ... and some are great.

    However I hardly do FB ... but definitely don't waste my time there ... a sensible decision on your part .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!