Wednesday, February 3, 2016

What's Saving My Life Right Now!!

I am a new follower to a blog named Modern Mrs. Darcy! I found her when I was searching for an on-line book club to join. She doesn't host the book club I joined but her blog came up when I was doing my research. (The book club I joined can be found at Paper & Glam.)But Modern Mrs. Darcy spoke to me for a variety of reasons. And she does write a lot about books!!

One of my favorite things discovering on her blog is this post: The Things that are Saving My life Right Now.

"The idea comes from author Barbara Brown Taylor. In her memoir Leaving Church, Taylor tells about a time she was invited to speak, and her host assigned her this topic: “Tell us what is saving your life right now.”

 She writes about that here and here. Sometimes, it so seems, it is easy to talk about our problems. It is easier to whine about what is wrong with our life. But, it's not so easy to talk about what is good. What is working for us. What is saving us. So I am going to do a new weekly post (at least for now) entitled:


What's Saving My Life Right Now!!
 
Each time I will pick out a few things that I think are keeping me sane, saving me! Kind of like a 
favorite things' post.  Simple? I think so. We often can go on and on about what is wrong with our lives. But what is right? Here goes
 
 
3 Things that are Saving My Life Right Now
 
1) Coloring and planning and playing with paper.
 
I am loving all of my adult coloring books and my Happy Planner. I like to decorate it! It gives me hours of pleasure to decide how I want it to look and to look for what will help me achieve that look. I didn't get into the scrapbooking craze of a few years ago (too over-whelmed by trying to catalog 40+ years of pictures) but I love planning! And coloring.
 
2) Reading
 
I have always loved to read. Since I was old enough to string the words together to form sentences. And it has saved my life more than once. I can crawl inside a book and lose all of the craziness of my 'real-life' story. I can become the little girl who is hiding from the Nazi's or the crazed woman who is trying to frame my husband for my murder. I lose myself. And it is necessary for saving me!
 
 
3) My French vanilla cream in my coffee every morning!
 
 
Need I say anymore? It just makes my coffee better! Coffee by itself is great. But with a dollop of the French Vanilla cream and it becomes a dream. Love my coffee!!
 
 
What are some of the things that are saving you right now?  Share them with me in the comments! And I'll be back next week with more things that are SAVING ME RIGHT NOW
 


24 comments:

  1. This is a very good idea, this contemplative project. I may join you soon. Thanks for posting about this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I hope you will join. I think it is a new way of thinking for me as I am moving forward!

      Delete
  2. Gratitude journals are also gaining traction with certain pockets of people. Each day, you find different things that happened that were "good" or made you feel blessed. It helps you keep a more positive outlook.
    You do something like that, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried a gratitude journal once. It wasn't my cup of tea. I found I was saying the same thing over and over again!

      Delete
  3. Friends....and you, of course, are included in that list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a cute thing to do and maybe what is saving your life right now can help someone else with their's. What is saving my life right now? I'm going to have to say the bird watching, LOL. So many other things are up in the air, but the birds come faithfully to the feeders, so at least they are consistent when nothing else is.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm adding that to my future list!!

      Delete
  5. My kitties probably. They are such a stress reliever for me and every night when I am sitting watching TV I always have a warm cat on my lap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your kitties belong on your list!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful way to resirect one's attention to positive things! Excellent. And it goes with Moving Forward, too, don't you think? And reading . . . Well, I am a huge fan! I willbe curious how the online bookmclub goes for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! You got it! Exactly what I am doing. I only watched on You Tube last week for the online book club. Kept my comments to myself! LOL

      Delete
  7. My cat Buddy - he always makes me laugh - even when he is driving me crazy! Reading of course. And knitting - knitting has saved my sanity more times than I can count!! I run two bookgroups at yahoogroups - so those emails have cheered me many times....

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paula, I love the idea of your new What's Saving My Life Right Now series! It's a great way to concentrate on the positives in our days and lives. I know reading is a fabulous way to get lost in a new world. I used to read a lot but for the past few years, I fall asleep after reading just a few pages. It takes me forever to get through a book. But when I do get invested in a novel, I get consumed by the story.
    What's saving me right now? It's always going to be my dogs. And right now, my parents are here with me, spending the winter. I'm so grateful to be with them, spending all this quality time together. My mom is having major heart surgery next Thursday and we're all getting nervous. Right now the dogs are keeping us laughing and they take our minds off of the serious situation. Laughter always saves me and thankfully my mom and I laugh a lot!

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful thing 'to be saving you' ...your dogs and your parents!!Laughter is always a good way to survive. I'll be thinking of your guys and saying a prayer next Thursday

      Delete
  9. I really enjoyed this post, and am looking forward to more about "what's saving your life right now." What an interesting theme! I might borrow it a bit, on my blog, if you don't mind...

    I'm with you on the books and playing with paper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome to borrow the theme. I think, for now, I will do a post each week. I need saving during the long winter months!

      Delete
  10. That's a wonderful idea ... especially the 'right-now' part.
    I'm looking forward to pondering this while preparing for sleep ... sure beats those nasty "what-if's" and worries that come to call when the lights go out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes when I am having a hard time going to sleep it helps me to try to think of all the things that were 'right' about my day! Takes my focus off the worries! And believe me I have plenty of those!!

      Delete
  11. That's great. It's a good way to be grateful for things rather than spending time on complaints.

    What's saving my life right now? My knitting. I'm having a ball designing a hat and making a backdrop for my outdoor booth. And the editing on my book is going pretty well at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!