Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Wednesday Hodgepodge-February 17th Edition

Welcome friends to Wednesday Hodgepodge. If you are interested in participating just head over to From This Side of the Pond and join with Joyce and all of our friends!!





 1. February 17th is National Random Acts of Kindness Day. It lands on the calendar one day after National Do Something for a Grouch Day (February 16) which somehow feels related. Perhaps the 16th inspired the 17th?

Tell about a time you performed a random act of kindness or were the recipient of one. Will you make an effort to perform a random act of kindness on the 17th? Share details if you're so inclined, and if you have something specific in mind.


I don't like to pat myself on the back for random acts of kindness. But I would love to tell you about a time when we were the receiver of a wonderful random act of kindness. In the spring of 2011 our adopted daughter, Heather, and her family were going to Disney World and they wanted Papa and I to take the kids and go with them. This was way out of our budget. We were just not able to even take a trip like that into consideration. But a very generous and loving benefactor from our church arranged for us to go on the trip with Heather and her family. They paid for everything...plane tickets, condo, park tickets, rental car. It was a fabulous trip. It taught me there are wonderful people in this world that do wonderful things for others!! Thank you!! We, to this day, do not know who this person was!! That is a true act of kindness. "Sound no trumpet before you."


 2.What's the most uplifting or encouraging thing you see happening in the world right now? You may have to dig deep for this one.


Gosh! This is a hard one. Not much looks uplifting and encouraging if you watch the news. I am going to just look into my own little world here. I am really encouraged by the kids grades right now. All A's and B's for everyone!!! YaY




 3. Black olives, black currants, black grapes, black beans, blackberries, Oreos...your favorite food the color of night? Your least favorite on the list?


I love black beans. When given a choice of which beans to use I will always chose black beans. I love to put them on top of my salad!! My least favorite on the list would be black currants. I am not a current lover!!


 4. A while back I read (
here) a list of twelve things you should do before you turn 50. They were-

travel when you have the chance, take care of your skin, learn a foreign language, make exercise a habit, leave a toxic situation, stop caring what others think about you, stop worrying, volunteer, spend time with your grandparents, pledge to work less, learn to cook an amazing dish, and seize an opportunity as it arises

What do you think of the list? What would you add or remove and why? If you're over 50, have you done all 12? If you're not yet 50, have you done any at all? What's on the list that you haven't done, but would like to do?


I am well over 50 and I have not completed this list. Not by a long shot. I know bits and pieces of a foreign language (Spanish, if you consider that foreign). I did leave a toxic relationship. I did that way back in my 20's! And I've never looked back. Richard and I traveled!! A lot! And I am so glad for the memories. I agree that memories are much better than material things. I don't know if you can ever really stop caring what others think of you. I preach this to my kids. And I try to practice it. Yet.... All the dishes I cook are amazing. At least they are to us!!

The one thing on the list that I wish I could do is: Stop worrying. In a book I read, A Time to Heal by Barbara Cameron an Amish lady told the main character,
"Worrying is arrogant because God knows what he is doing." Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could just leave it all in His hands??


 5. Besides the classic Christmas flicks, what's your favorite film where winter plays a part in the setting?


Since I am not much of a movie person, I cannot think of a single film where winter even plays a part!

6.When did you last feel helpless, and what did you do about it?


The last time I felt helpless was the day I was watching my husband die! And there wasn't a darn thing I could do about it. I knew in my head that he was going to a better place. But in my heart I knew it was going to be the single worst thing to ever happen to me!


 7. Share a favorite proverb. 






 8. Insert your own random thought here.


For the first time in all of my years doing taxes I don't get a refund and I don't have to pay. Yet I have to file. And it cost me $77 to do so. Yes, I know there are places that will do it for free but I didn't chose one of those places. And they are done! And filed! And I don't have to worry about them. See #4!

Have a Happy Wednesday!!

29 comments:

  1. I loved reading your story of the act of kindness that was extended to your family. What a wonderful blessing to your family. I almost posted the same Proverb. It is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RockinMom. It is a favorite of mine too!

      Delete
  2. Your story of the anonymous benefactor is wonderful! While we didn't have much discretionary income, my dad still insisted on our taking vacations. Like you, he believed memories were more dear than material things.

    That's a great quote about worrying! (I think I recall this from your book review?) I shudder at the idea of sounding arrogant, but I'd just like to lend a helping hand, ya know?

    Congrats to Darian and Harley and Paige on the great report cards!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never went on a vacation as a child. I don't remember anyone that I knew ever went on vacation. Thanks for the congrats!!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful RAK for you to be at the receiving end of. It would be nice to leave all our worries to God but it is hard. I try to put aside things that I can't actually change or influence but not always successfully. It sounds like the kids are doing really well. You must be proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Random act: cookies for the road super who has clocked almost eighty hours in four days. Of course, I didn't make them; just delivered them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookies are good for a hard working road crew

      Delete
  5. I dread doing the taxes. I think you chose wisely - just get it over with and securely done!

    I'm with you on the black beans. Such a good flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dame. I am glad they are filed.

      Delete
  6. Loved your random act of kindness...there ARE good people still in the world. I can't imagine the agony of watching your husband pass away. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful gift for a very deserving family. God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So great that you were able to go along. It's wonderful when people help out like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember you mentioning that trip before from the kind benefactor; so sweet of what they did and to remain anonymous all these years. Definitely a very kind random act of kindness. Good for you for getting the taxes done; we were going to try to get them done earlier this year, but I'm thinking it will be April 14th like we usually do. I like that Amish saying; I need to tattoo that (not literally) somewhere on my body and in my heart and mind to remember it at all times since I tend to be a worrier (which I should change to be a prayer warrior)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...it would be a good tattoo though if you were into that sort of thing!

      Delete
  10. What a great hodge-podge post, Paula - plenty of ups mixed with a few downs and the things to do before your 50 I have managed to do except take better care of my skin - which I would urge anyone under 30 to start doing now!! Moisturise and sun block now!! Have a great week - you deserve it :) Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't taken good care of my skin either. But then it looks okay now! I came from the generation of where we baked in the sun coated in baby oil and iodine!

      Delete
  11. I'm envious of your tax completion : ) I feel like ours are so complex, and there's no way I could do them myself. I just love your story of kindness in #1. That is fabulous and inspiring. The fact that you don't know who it is makes it sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My taxes are not at all complex anymore!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations to the kiddo's for their good grades! I believe that there are many people who go the extra mile to help someone else. I think the problem is that the mainstream media believes that good news does not sell so most of what we get is the bad stuff. Some people say "When all else fails...pray!" I believe "Pray before all else fails!" Thank you for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they hang onto those grades until the end of school. Mainstream media does like to push the bad news, don't they. I like that : Pray before all else fails!!

      Delete
  13. Hi Paula - yes Richard will live with you forever ... in all his guises and being as a man - that he was - the person you loved.

    Count me out on Oreos!! Way too sweet ... but I do love blackcurrant jam .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!