Thursday, February 25, 2016

Southwest Chicken Chopped Salad

I am not a food blogger. But sometimes I come across a good recipe I want to share! Today is one of those days with one of those recipes.

The closer it gets to spring the more I think about salads. I love eating salad as a meal. Do you? I found this recipe on Life In the Lofthouse. I love her blog. I love her recipes. I have made several and she never lets me down.


 
SouthWest Chicken Chopped Salad
 
 
Ingrediants
 
 
3 cups cooked, diced chicken
 
1 green bell pepper...I used a red one
 
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
 
1 small can sweet yellow corn, drained. I used a regular sized can
 
2 roma tomatoes, diced
 
4 green onions, sliced
 
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped. I left this out!
 
2 large romaine hearts, washed and chopped. I only used one!
 
2 cups crushed tortilla chips
 
 
For the Taco-Ranch dressing
 
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
2-3 Tblsp Ranch dressing
2 Tblsp Taco seasoning
1 Tblsp fresh lime juice...I used the squeeze bottle
2-3 Tblsp milk
 
Instructions
 
1. Make the Taco-Ranch dressing. Whisk everything together and refrigerate for a least 1 hour.
 
2. In a large bowl, add the diced bell pepper, black beans, corn to combine. Then add the cooked chicken pieces and the chopped romaine lettuce and onions. When ready to eat add the dressing (I only used about half of it and ate the remainder as a dip with tortilla chips later in the day. YUM). Toss well and then mix in the tortilla chips.
 
 
 
 I used chicken I had cooked a few days earlier in the crockpot. It was cooked with several spices. This recipe made a huge bowl of salad. If Harley had eaten with us I would have used both Romaine lettuce hearts.  Darian and I had this for dinner on Tuesday night. It would have been delicious with a frozen Margarita but I still had to drive to get Harley so no drinking here!! There was enough leftover for my lunch on Wednesday and it was still delicious. Even though the chips were now soft. This is a great recipe that we will have again.
 
I hope you try it!!





20 comments:

  1. It sounds delicious! I'm always looking for a good salad recipe and this seems to fit the bill :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guarantee you will love this if you like Tex-Mex. It was sooooo good I can't wait to make it again!

      Delete
  2. ThAnk you. Sounds great. I will try it. I might try it with the crushed chips as a topper to be mixed in right before eating to avoid the soft chips the next day. My husband doesn't eat these kinds of dishes so when I make them I cut them in half and still have plenty for several days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I usually do with Taco Salad...leave the chips out and just put on top. Yes, this would be a lot of salad for just one person

      Delete
  3. Hi Paula - I'm an inveterate salad eater - I have one very lunchtime - but a larger more involved salad is delicious as well ... enjoy - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love salads too. And I love the ones that have everything in them.

      Delete
  4. I have to smile at leaving out the cilantro. It's an acquired taste, but even I would balk at half a bunch! That's a LOT of cilantro! I want to serve this sometime during the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just not crazy about cilantro. But, I didn't have any either!!

      Delete
  5. It looks delicious. We are going to have to try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds perfect for those Arizona summers when I'm already so hot I don't want to put ANYthing else hot in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why we enjoy salads in the summer! Don't have to cook. I cooked my chicken in the crockpot!

      Delete
  7. Nope, I'm not much of a salad girl. Probably because I don't do dressing--anything with mayo is a no-go for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand! I can't imagine not eating salads!

      Delete
  8. Great recipe. Thanks for sharing Paula. I am always looking for ways to use leftover chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime Wendy! I know you will love this one!

      Delete
  9. I'm with Olde Dame Penniwig. I love cilantro, but at half a bunch it almost qualifies as a cilantro salad. And about that frozen margarita . . . back fence please!!! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just haven't found myself to be a fan of cilantro. Yes, we need that back fence!!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!