Thursday, February 4, 2016

Pop Goes The Weasel

Overview from Barnes and Nobel

From the international bestselling author of Eeny Meeny comes the second thriller in the “truly excellent series”* featuring Detective Helen Grace.A man’s body is found in an empty house.
A gruesome memento of his murder is sent to his wife and children.

He is the first victim, and Detective Helen Grace knows he will not be the last. But why would a happily married man be this far from home in the dead of night?The media call it Jack the Ripper in reverse: a serial killer preying on family men who lead hidden double lives.Helen can sense the fury behind the murders. But what she cannot possibly predict is how volatile this killer is—or what is waiting for her at the end of the chase....

This was the second book I have read by M.J. Arlidge with Detective Helen Grace as the main character. I had to go back to review the first book, Eeny Meeny,(see my review of it here) to figure out the story line. I am one of those readers who doesn't really remember much about a book after I have read it. I read for enjoyment. And unless the book is really, really good I usually just don't remember them. Are any of the rest of you like that? It's probably why I often will begin reading a book and it starts to niggle at my brain "I know how this is going to end" then I realize I have read it before. Of course that is not true for books that I have loved!!

This story is very believable. That is important to me when I read mysteries and thrillers. If I don't think it can REALLY happen then I usually lose interest. Maybe that is why so many of the Stephen King books and books like Harry Potter don't appeal to me. I am not much into magical thinking.

The main character of this book is strongly written. And well developed. I had to keep going back to the first book to catch up with some of the other main characters. But only for a bit.

I liked this book.  The ending wasn't predictable. I had not figured out who the killer was. That is always a plus!

18 comments:

  1. I am like you..I don't remember much about a book once I've read it unless it's particularly good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it when the ending is a surprise, but once revealed, I can see how it was that character. I don't like unbelievable mystery endings, either, whether in a book or on a television show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I like books that have some bit of magic in them. (As long as it's a fantasy and not magical realism.)

    I have the same problem with some TV shows. After they've been off the air for the summer, I come back forgetting where they left off. With books, if I'm back for book 2, I probably remember book 1. (If book 1 was meh, then I don't bother. I probably wouldn't remember it.)

    By the way, your Pinterest widget hangs over your post, making the last couple paragraphs hard to read. At least, on my monitor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I thought I had it fixed but I guess not. So I just deleted it. I'm not sure why it does that! Do you run Chrome or Internet Explorer??

      Delete
  4. I had the same experience (Pinterest widget) on my tablet just a bit ago!

    Now that I've rediscovered my love of reading, this sounds appealing! (But, do you think it's really necessary to read Eeny Meeny first?) I love it when, despite my best intentions, an author manages to pull the wool over my eyes 'til the last minute!

    PS - Hope it's not too late to wish Harley a VERY happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would most certainly read Eeny Meeny first. And then immediately read Pop next. No it is not to late to wish her a Happy Birthday. I will pass it along. I deleted the damn Pinterest widget. It was just too annoying!!

      Delete
  5. I like that the ending wasn't predictable; I like to be surprised every once in awhile :) I'm the same way you are; I rarely remember a book soon after I read it unless it is one of those "can't put it down ones"

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when you are surprised by the ending of a book. That was one of the reasons I liked "Double Bind" so much. I was like....how could I have missed all of those clues?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too Wendy. And that is one of those books that I might just re-read someday to see why I missed it!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like my sort of book but probably need to read the first book before this one.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!