Monday, February 8, 2016

My Simple Woman's Daybook-February 8th Edition

For Today... 

Ah, the beads!!
Today is February 8, 2016. This week they will celebrate Mardi Gras in New Orleans. I used to dream about going down for this week of celebration. But, no longer! I'm just not that into crowds and celebrations like I used to be. Have you ever been to Mardi Gras?

 


Outside my window...

It is dark and cool right now. I am writing this on Sunday evening. Super Bowl is behind us. I didn't really watch much of it. Saw the ending and watched the interviews. Glad that Denver won but we were really rooting for the Panthers! But, like I said I really didn't care! I am not a football fan. Do you like to watch football?? (It is morning now and the temp is 39*. The sun is shining but we are having 50 mph wind gusts which makes it feel much cooler).
 


I am pondering...

I am pondering how much money was spent today across the country on Super Bowl parties and other Super Bowl hype? How many bets were won and lost? How much money all of those football players made? Even the ones who lost! And if they really appreciate what they have! I can't imagine making millions just to play a game I loved! 


I am thankful...

I am thankful to have my family with me this weekend. We celebrated Sweet 16 here this weekend. We dined at the Chinese Buffet (Harley's choice) and ate Strawberry Cheese-quake Ice cream cake! The Chinese food was only so/so. But the cake was delicious. She was happy and I guess that is all that matters.
 


Found on Facebook...


 



 
Oh my goodness! I don't think mine would ever have that many glasses in their rooms. Now, water bottles...that is another story!!












 
I am creating...

Haven't done much creating here recently. I am still fighting this darn cold. The coughing is hanging on. My family reminded me this weekend how much Richard's coughing used to annoy me and maybe this is karma!!!!! Maybe!


I am reading....

I am reading The Whole 30 by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig. Also reading To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han which is our April book club book. Getting a head start. The March book is Girl on the Train, which I have read before.

 


Moving Forward...








Pretty much what I'm doing!




 


I am learning...

I am enjoying memorizing Matthew 6. This verse speaks to so many things that I have wondered about over the years. We must not brag about our good deeds. Just do them! God knows what is in our heart....even before we know it!


In my backyard...

I was watching asquirrel yesterday as he tried and tried to get into the bird feeder. But the baffle that hangs over it just kept throwing him off. He kept at it for the entire afternoon. With rests in between each session. I went out and threw some corn on the ground just to make him stop trying so hard. The squirrels and the turkeys were happy with the corn. I have been looking at the garden and thinking about what I want to do this spring. Starting a list for Darian and Justin!!
 


In my kitchen...

Monday...Leftover Day

Tuesday...Crockpot Goulash

Wednesday...Kids will be eating at church

Thursday...Omelets and toast

Friday...Pizza!

Saturday...Baked Chicken Thighs & rice

Sunday...Happy Valentine's Day
         Flat iron steak
         Baked Potato
         Green Salad
 


On My camera...


Sweet 16!

Turning 18!

Harley got a selfie stick
Harley and Paige


 


A favorite quote for today...


 



 
A peek into my week...

Monday is basketball practice after school. I am going to do some laundry and maybe go through some clothes! Tuesday will be Forensic practice and Harley has a home basketball game. I hope to make it to this one! Wednesday, I may take Darian to the DMV and Harley has basketball practice. Then they have youth group at church. Thursday just basketball practice and Marine Babies, Friday is an away basketball game. So far we have no weekend plans!!


One of my favorite things...

I like Monday's. I usually just use this day to recoup after the weekend. I am going to throw a load in the washer and put my feet up and read this afternoon! What do you like about Monday's?




Post Script

I am heading on over to The Simple Woman's Blog to share my link and read what others are up to this week. Want to go with me?
 




****************************

29 comments:

  1. I always wanted to go to Mardi Gras, but not anymore either. Oh how true that picture of "when a boys cleans his room"! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same feelings about Mardi Gras! And I don't think my teen boy has that many dishes in his room. But who knows what they are hiding

      Delete
  2. I completely avoided the Super Bowl. As I do every year. Yeah me!

    What I like about Mondays--the schools have their "shortened days" meaning they start an hour and a half later than normal. A great way to ease into the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting that school starts later for you on Mondays. I think there is so much data available on how much better it would be to start the high school day later. I wonder why the schools don't change!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like determined squirrel :) Really wanted something to eat I do believe. Happy belated birthday to Harley; sounded like a great celebration!

    I am sure a lot of money was spent in so many different ways around the Super Bowl. I do like to watch the game and do like football. I was rooting for the Broncos, but mainly because the Panthers just trounced so bad the Cardinals a few weeks back. I was glad Broncos won :)

    LOL with the picture of when a teenager cleans his room. I remember going in and collecting all the plates, etc., from son's room, even though he wasn't supposed to be eating in it :)

    I don't think I would enjoy Mardi Gras. I'm like you, I don't like to be around a lot of crowds these days.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the birthday wishes. Now they are all behind us until May when Paige turns Sweet 16. I know what you mean about them not supposed to be eating in their rooms. Mine like to try and pull the wool over my eyes too!

      Delete
  4. I love Mondays, because I have a job to go to, and Monday means the start of a new paycheck, which means taking care of my little family and our pets! Oh yes, I have been to Mardi Gras. Many, many times - hundreds of parades - some parades rolled right down our street when I lived on St. Charles Street, and at the end of our street when we moved to the West Bank. I lived in N.O. until 22, and Louisiana until 24. I wish you could have gone to a Mardi Gras "back in the day." I think they have turned bad nowadays, sadly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wanted to add, so glad you fed that silly squirrel some corn!

      Delete
    2. I am glad to have fed the squirrel too. I usually feed them everyday. He was wearing me out watching him try to get into that feeder. I would love to hear some of your Mardi Gras stories. I'll bet it was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  5. What do I like about Mondays? NUTHIN'!!!
    ... Sorry, I'm a bit cranky after yesterday's loss by the Panthers. Plus, Tom kept 'hurrah-ing' every time Cam Newton got sacked. Old jerk. (lol) I need to quit taking these silly games so seriously.

    No, I've never been to Mardi Gras. Too many crowds and drunks. Did your brother move nearby, you could just pop in and right back out again?

    Lovin' that pix of Harley and the cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! You are a divided house when it came to the Super Bowl, huh!! My brother isn't that far away from New Orleans but I doubt I'll make it down there! I couldn't put up with the crowds and the drunks now. Back in my day I would have joined them. I love that pic too!!

      Delete
  6. Mardi Gras is for the young. I would be rolled under, now. A belated happy birthday to your Harley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Joanne! And thanks for the birthday wishes!

      Delete
  7. Love the quote about getting older :) Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to go to Mardi Gras, from a distance. Maybe watching from a room above the crowds.
    My household isn't into sports. We didn't see the "Big Game".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun too! To watch from one of the balconies above the action!

      Delete
  9. Mardi Gras was a big part of growing up in Gulf Coast, Mississippi. Our school spring breaks always coincided with that week, and we didn't go back to school until the day after Ash Wednesday. My family alternated going to Mobile, AL or New Orleans, I grew up pretty much midway between the two. I remember sitting on my Dads shoulders and holding my hands up yelling "throw me something mister!!". In New Orleans, we'd then go to The Gumbo Shop for, you guessed it, gumbo. Those are great memories, thanks for reminding me of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! It's always good to see you! I imagine you have a good many memories about Mardi Gras. I think it would have been so much fun back when I was younger. And Gumbo! Yum. I remember eating Gumbo in New Orleans when I was there with Richard. Not like Gumbo from anywhere else in the world!!

      Delete
  10. I also used to think I would love to go to New Orleans for Mardi Gras sometime, but not anymore! Too many drunk people! As a working girl unfortunately there is nothing I like about Monday except for when I get off at 4:00!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a time in my life where the drunk people wouldn't have bothered me. Not anymore though! I am glad to be retired now! So Monday's have a completely different feel

      Delete
  11. Hi Paula - I'd love to go to the Mardi Gras - but I couldn't handle the crowds ... bug Gumbo - I see you mention .. yes yum yum!!

    So pleased Harley's brithday was what she wanted - that's the main thing and she looks happy - and those selfie sticks .. terrible! But c'est la vie ...

    Have a good week - pancakes tonight? Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Hilary, I feel the same about the crowds! Must be something that happens to us as we get older!!

      Delete
  12. I have never been to Mardi Gras not sure I would like the crowds either. We didn't watch "the game" either, football is like watching paint dry. I hope you have a good week:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad that Harley had a great birthday. Hope your cold clears up soon. Mine set in yesterday and I am feeling pretty crappy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still coughing. And I don't feel that great! I hate colds!! Hope you get better soon!!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!