Sunday, February 21, 2016

My Simple Woman's Daybook-February 22nd Edition


For Today....
 
Today (it will be soon) is Monday, February 22, 2016. I will always remember this day as the birthday of our first president of the USA...George Washington. When I was going to school in the mid to late 1950's (grade school that is) we always celebrated Mr. Washington's birthday with pictures of hatchets and cherries. The cherry tree myth is probably one of the most remembered story about George Washington.
 



Outside my window...
 

It is Sunday evening. The sky is clear. Stars are shining brightly. You can see the shadows from the trees on the lawn because the moon is almost full.


"The Moon today is in a Waxing Gibbous phase. This phase is when the moon is more than 50% illuminated but not yet a Full Moon. The phase lasts round 7 days with the moon becoming more illuminated each day until the Full Moon."




I am pondering...

There are many things going through my mind tonight...spring housecleaning, weekly menu, kids, a conversation with my sister-in-law today..many things! I need to do a brain dump!!


I am thankful...

I am thankful for school days. After a busy, full weekend I am ready for a day without kids! Hope that doesn't sound bad!!


Found on Facebook...

A good friend, whom I met through blogging, has inspired me with her Whole 30 lifestyle. She is the reason I am going to try it. Her Facebook page is called Wildflower Kitchen. After she completed her first Whole 30 she started her own business "Wildflower Kitchen" where she cooks and delivers home-cooked Paleo meals in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. How I wished I lived closer. I would definitely try some of her cooking.

 


I am creating...

I haven't yet finished my March mantle. But I am working on it. I will post pictures when I am done!!


 


 


I am reading...

I am reading Midwives by Chris Bohjalian. I thought I had read this book back when it was on Oprah's Book Club. But I haven't. I am enjoying it for the minute! Did you read books from Oprah's Book Club list??
 


Moving Forward...










Isn't that the truth!! I am trying to keep moving forward.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I am learning...

This week I am memorizing Matthew 6:12-13

"and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil."


In my backyard...

Not my yard....
It's been on the windy side here in Kansas. Gusty is what the weatherman says. I have some tree branches down. And the gophers have been busy tunneling and leaving mounds all through the yard. It looks like they are only in my yard and the yard of the house to the north. What are we doing wrong to make them love us so. Any ideas?? We hired a guy for a few years to trap them for us but it got too expensive.
 


In my kitchen...
 
 
Monday...Leftovers
 
Wednesday...Elvis Burgers (A Paleo meal)
 
Thursday...Mexican Casserole
 
Friday...I'll probably grab a burger
 
Saturday...Taco Bar
 
 


On my camera...


Paige and Harley in 6th grade

Harley at church camp..dark Gold shirt in the back

A trip to the zoo in Kansas City in 2010 before Richard's
stroke. The kids are so small
 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A favorite quote for today...

Since it is George Washington's birthday I will post some of his quotes that I have found and liked:
 
 

"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence."

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

 

"Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all."



A peek into my week...

Monday Harley will have BB practice after school. I'm going grocery shopping too! On Tuesday Darian has Forensic practice and Harley has an away BB game. Wednesday is youth group but they may stay home. We will see. I might take Darian again for his driving test. He feels he is ready!! On Thursday Darian has his Marine Babies and Harley has BB practice. On Friday Harley has a home game (her last of the season) and Darian is out of town for Forensics. Saturday Darian has an out of town Forensic tourney and Paige and Justin will be over. Sunday is Darian's day in the nursery at church. Busy week. But things will soon be slowing down.  


One of my favorite things...

One of my favorite things is when the kids come home on the bus after school and I don't have to make dinner later or drive to pick them up somewhere. I know, I know...this doesn't go along with what I was thankful for. I am a hard woman to please!!


 


Post Script...
 
Wouldn't you like to join me in checking out other Simple Woman's Daybooks? Let's all hope over to The Simple Woman's Blog and see what has been going on.


****************************

27 comments:

  1. Hi Paula - Happy Birthday to George Washington .. one of my posts my mother remembered was Washington's false teeth .. we always laughed .. his mouth does look painful doesn't it ..

    Have a good week - love the photos .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he does look like he is in pain. Teeth carved out of wood just sounds so barbaric

      Delete
  2. Sounds a busy week. Those grandchildren are either keeping you young or wearing you out! Lol - probably a bit of both. I need to plan my meals more. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not keeping me young! I am aging rapidly. I am worn out!! I don't know what I would cook if I didn't meal plan. It has helped me so much

      Delete
  3. We enjoyed the moon last night also. Just beautiful. I am anxiously awaiting your review on Midwives. It is on my wish list. Enjoy the stuffed shells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to try the stuffed shells. Wonder what my family will say when they realize there is no meat!! LOL

      Delete
  4. Busy week for you and the grandkids! I am going to check out that Whole 30 lifestyle site. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi. Yes, the week is a busy one!! I'm ready to slow down

      Delete
  5. I have read some of the books on Oprah's book club lists. I did read Midwives and enjoyed it :) I can see with a schedule like the kids have that you are glad to have a day to yourself come Monday when they go back to school :) Those Elvis burgers sound interesting; you'll have to tell us how they turn out.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thoroughly enjoyed my day. Now I think I'll go to the store!! I'll let you know about the Elvis burgers

      Delete
  6. I've read an Oprah's Book Club selection once or twice. Good books, undeniably, but I think people put too much stock in certain things because of celebrity endorsement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of her books are really DARK! I am not a huge fan of Oprah and many times won't even read a book that she recommends!!

      Delete
  7. I wish someone had tattooed that first GW quote on my brain early on!
    Yes, I remember those hatchets and cherries in grade school. :)
    Idle thought -- 'wondering what GW would look like (photo-shopped) w/o that awful wig; perhaps in denim and a polo?

    Thanks for including more 'olden' pictures ... you know i always enjoy them!

    Have a wonderful day. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That first quote would have served us well!! It would be a hoot to see what he would have looked like as you described. Yes I have to dig out some older pictures now and then!! Love ya too!!

      Delete
  8. I read some selections from Oprah's book club. Including Midwives - which I remember really liking a lot. In fact, it might be time for a re-read! It has been a long time - so it will seem like a new book! and you know I'm a huge re-reader!!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had read it before. So far, though, I'm not remember anything. So I must not have!

      Delete
  9. I know--I feel like a sloth on the days I don't have to get or take a kid somewhere. Generally that happens on Friday, but this Friday Laura is staying after school to see the talent show. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love feeling like a sloth!! Won't it be nice when we can just take care of ourselves??

      Delete
  10. I can even remember coloring in a mimeographed sheet depicting a young Geo. Washington in the process of chopping down that cherry tree. He had a powdered wig on - hee hee.

    You have another busy week. By comparison I am quite at leisure, despite my job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I loved the smell of those mimeographed sheets of paper!!!

      Delete
  11. I rather liked the cherry tree myth. My mother always made a cherry dessert of some sort on GW's birthday! Myth or not, I followed in her cherry dessert footsteps!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing wrong with being happy for school. Our district celebrated President's Day last Monday. Which I thought was very odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did not get out of school for President's Day!! We DID get out for MLK however. Hmmmm....I won't go there!

      Delete
  13. We had a few gophers and hired the kids next door to trap them $10 later I was rid of gophers and they have not come back. It was my perennial garden they loved> You are a busy gal with all the activities with the kids...it will keep you young! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!