Monday, February 1, 2016

My Simple Woman's Daybook-February 1st Edition

For Today....

Today is February 1, 2016. Regardless of what T.S. Eliot says, it is February that is the cruelest month. Winter! I am so over it, yet there is more to go. I miss the sunshine. I miss the heat on the sidewalk when I go outside barefooted. I miss the sun shining through the window with the dust motes dancing on the rays!! Come on, spring, I know you are there somewhere hiding and waiting. Come on out and play.
 
 
 
Outside my window...

The sun is gone. The sky is grey. The temperature is 44 degrees. Yet, the weatherman is saying snow is on it's way. He keeps saying that and it keeps missing us. But, one day our luck will run out and we will become covered in white! Please, not today!!


I am pondering...

I am pondering the weather report. Can you tell? They warn us days ahead of a big storm coming. Everyone prepares and is ready! And then.....NOTHING! What happens when we quit listening? Go ahead and warn us. We don't believe you! But it will happen one day. We will be caught at home, covered in the glorious white stuff, and there will be no milk or bread in the pantry!


I am hearing...

I am listening to The Chew as I type this. Christy Brinkley is on. Her birthday is tomorrow. Can you believe she will be 62 years old??? I guess, with the money she has, you can look like that at 62. Heck, I didn't look that good at 32! She is cooking today and talking about lard. I am sure there has never been a bit of lard slip between her lips. LOL! 


I am thankful...

I am thankful my cold is starting to break up in the chest. The heavy feeling is lessening. I'm still coughing but not as much. And still blowing the nose. For it just wants to drip, drip, drip. But I am getting better. For which I am thankful!!


I am creating...

I am really not doing much creating right now. I'm not doing much of anything. I have been sleeping a lot! That is how my body repairs itself. We sleep.


 


Found on Facebook...

I will have to help Harley learn to tie a blanket scarf. They seem to be the big rage this season. She loves scarves. I'm not so much of a scarf person. How about you?



 
 
























 
I am reading...

Dang, I am still reading the same two books that I was reading all of January. I am almost finished with Bad Feminist by Roxanne Gay. The book club I joined last month is reading this book for February! I'm not much into it. Probably why it's taking me so long. But almost to the end. And then Pop Goes The Weasel by M. J. Arlige. I am more than half-way. I don't think I'll try reading two books at the same time again. My mind just doesn't work that way. I know others can do it. But I can't!
 


Moving Forward...

 
The hardest part about moving forward is giving myself permission to have a bad day. Some of them are just bad! Some of them I just want to sit and dwell in the past and not move forward....













 
I am learning...

Matthew 6:5-6 is this weeks verse to memorize:

"And when you pray you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you they have received their rewards. But when you pray go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And you Father who sees in secret will reward you."


In my backyard...



Cold. Dreary. Gray. Lifeless.
 


In my kitchen...
 
Monday...Taco Soup
 
Tuesday...Oven roasted Pork tenderloin with potatoes
 
Wednesday...kids will eat at church
 
Thursday...Happy Birthday Harley @ 5 Guys
 
Friday...Breakfast for supper
 
Saturday...Beef Stroganoff
 
Sunday...Family going out to celebrate Harley's birthday (psst. she wants Chinese)


On my camera...

My February calendar in my Happy Planner

Our February Bucket list
 





























 
A favorite quote for today...

 


A peek into my week...

Today...Harley has basketball practice and we need to pick up an item for her upcoming FCCLA raffle.

Tuesday... Harley has an away game and Darian has Forensic practice

Wednesday...Break-away day at their youth group. They meet at church, eat, have a lesson and then each group goes somewhere for a treat (Starbucks, McDonald's, Dairy Queen, etc.)

Thursday...Marine Babies for Darian. Today is Harley's 16th birthday. We will celebrate with the family on Sunday. But tonight she and I are going to 5 Guys for burgers after basketball practice.

Friday...Darian has away Forensics Harley has a home basketball game.

Saturday...Darian will be gone today for Forensics. Justin and Paige will be over

Sunday...Celebrating Sweet 16!! She wants Chinese so that is what we'll do.



 


One of my favorite things...

It's always my favorite thing to make my grandkids happy. For their birthday I sprung for new cell phones. IPhones! Both are very happy. This is Harley's first smart phone. Hopefully her learning curve will be small!! If you know what I mean!


 
 


Post Script...

I am linking with Peggy at The Simple Woman's Blog. Then I think I'll do some hopping and see what the rest of the gang has going on. (Psssssst, the sun just came out!!)
 




****************************

35 comments:

  1. I saw some of those blanket scarves before Xmas - man are they huge! I do wear scarves - knitted ones (that I make) and cloth ones that I buy in the stores. I've just gotten on a huge scarf kick in the past few years!! I don't mind February. It is January, that drags me down!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are huge. I wouldn't be able to stand having one around my neck. But it would be wonderful to unwrap it and wrap it around myself when I was cold. I don't mind January. It seems like it is fresh and new. But February!!

      Delete
  2. I wear scarves a lot at work but I don't think I could wear a blanket scarf. Too big and I feel like I would be too hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be wonderful at a football game though. You could take it from your neck and wrap up in it. (Not that I go to football games, LOL)

      Delete
  3. LOL, Harley will have the phone figured out before you know it! She'll probably teach you a thing or two too about your smart phone if you have one :) How sweet to be turning sweet 16 too!! I fear we are sending the storm your way; we awoke to about 3-4 inches of snow here and weird last night before the snow started we had pouring rain and thunder and lightening! I do like scarves; I don't wear them much, but I do like them. Tying them can sometimes be a bit challenging.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harley isn't having much problem figuring the phone out. She had an iPod which is very similar. We missed the storm again Betty. Northwestern Kansas is getting it but not us here in Central Kansas. I like scarves too but I never felt comfortable wearing them

      Delete
  4. I am a scarf person. I wear them a lot, all year round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're always so busy!
    I woke to the sun baking my apartment (it was 82 degrees in here). Hard to believe we're supposed to get seven to twelve inches of snow tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how it is when you are raising teenagers Jennifer. Wow 82 degrees I am so jealous

      Delete
  6. I've always loved scarves ... but any time I try and wear one, I wind up looking like a street person -- who's been mugged.

    Wow. I'll bet Darian and Harley were over the moon about their new iPHones. That was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are over the moon. Especially Harley. This is her first smartphone.

      Delete
  7. I love scarves! How sweet of you to get them iPhones1! Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love scarves! I haven't hear of the blanket scarf, but it sounds like a dream! I have taken to a very odd way of staying warm but it works for me. I wear a triangle shawl UNDER a polar fleece vest. The vest holds the shawl closer and keep my back warmer and I don't have dangling shawl ends to worry about. I have GOT to check out this blanket shawl. We had taco soup last week!mWell, we had it one night together, and then I had it every day for lunch. Youa te a good gram about the phones. You don't want to know how many phones GN went through before she turned 17. Sigh. Fun bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blanket scarf is pretty big! I think you would love it. Then you could just unwrap it from your neck and cover yourself up. I'm hoping this is the last phones I will buy for a long bit

      Delete
  9. We're the same way here with the rain. They promise rain in a week, but then the week passes, and the rain doesn't show. I've stopped believing them. (And then it went and rained on Saturday.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had quite a bit of rain here yesterday. But no snow! I'm not complaining though!

      Delete
  10. Hope your snow doesn't come! I could feed half an army here as we are most always prepared for a storm. The days have been gloomy here in Minnesota too..not much fun at all. I love reading the Simple Womens Day books, thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you stopped in for a visit! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  11. Yes, February is pretty hard to take. Without Valentine's Day right in the middle, I don't think I could make it through! Hope the white stuff does NOT show up, and that your cold mends completely! What a wonderful gift for the kids - they live for those phones -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What would we do without Valentines Day. Who said it was all about love? LOL

      Delete
  12. That was so fun to read.
    I love the scarf pic. I never know how to do scarves.
    Glad to hear you are feeling better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in Maria. I am better each day!

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday Dear Harley!! Just so you know Paula, your pinterest link is covering some of your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy for letting me know. It all looked fine on my browser but I just deleted the link. I'll put it back later and see what happens.

      Delete
  14. HI!!!! It is your crazy ginger friend!! How are you? I owe you an email, a nice long one! Okay first of all, what is this forensics thing that Darian does? I think the weather predicting now with computers and such is really so inaccurate. We get told here so many ties that we are going to get nailed with snow, only to get nothing. Then when they forecast nothing, we get nailed. No wonder people are not prepared for big storms! That scarf is quite cool! I am not really a scarf person, but I recently knit myself a cowl, so that when I had my dental surgery, I could hide behind it and not scare anyone with my swollen face. I actually don't mind it now! Your quote is super, sometimes it sure is easier to stay where we are and not move forward, grrr, I don't like feeling like that ( the past several months I have felt that way a lot ( but you very often pulled me out of that and stood with me...I am so thankful for you!) I hope you are feeling much better!! xoxoxo Big hugs for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ellie I literally squealed with delight when I saw I had a comment from you. Forensics is like debate (or maybe more like a speech class) and he goes to competitions. It is public speaking. He's just started. I hope he enjoys it as much as he did debate. I hope you have fully recovered from your dental surgery. I just can't bring myself to go to the dentist yet. So much trauma. I have missed you my friend. I'm glad to see you back again

      Delete
  15. It sounds like you have "cabin fever"! A common ailment in February. But the cure will arrive soon! Since its been mild here, "cabin fever" hasn't set in. We've even been able to be outside a bit for fresh air and sunshine. Weather is turning though...I might need one of those blanket scarves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could possibly be cabin fever. But I get out everyday. I just need sunshine!!

      Delete
  16. I'm with Denise, I love your day book! Time to search it and make one. This year shows itself to be hectic and mind boggling. And, though I love scarves, I rarily knit them, since the girls made me enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should join us and write a daybook! It is like a journal for me to keep us with all that going on!

      Delete
  17. Thanks for visiting my blog.... and this is my first visit to your's... I know waht you mean about winter storms.... theya re saying we might get something by Friday... Im so hoping NOT!!! I have daffodils that are ready to bloom...... have a blessed week!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!