Saturday, February 27, 2016

Midwives


Overview from Barnes and Nobel

"Superbly crafted and astonishingly powerful. . . . It will thrill readers who cherish their worn copies of To Kill A Mockingbird." —PeopleWith a suspense, lyricism, and moral complexity that recall To Kill a Mockingbird and Presumed Innocent, this compulsively readable novel explores what happens when a woman who has devoted herself to ushering life into the world finds herself charged with responsibility in a patient's tragic death.The time is 1981, and Sibyl Danforth has been a dedicated midwife in the rural community of Reddington, Vermont, for fifteen years. But one treacherous winter night, in a house isolated by icy roads and failed telephone lines, Sibyl takes desperate measures to save a baby's life. She performs an emergency Caesarean section on its mother, who appears to have died in labor. But what if—as Sibyl's assistant later charges—the patient wasn't already dead, and it was Sibyl who inadvertently killed her?As recounted by Sibyl's precocious fourteen-year-old daughter, Connie, the ensuing trial bears the earmarks of a witch hunt except for the fact that all its participants are acting from the highest motives—and the defendant increasingly appears to be guilty. As Sibyl Danforth faces the antagonism of the law, the hostility of traditional doctors, and the accusations of her own conscience, Midwives engages, moves, and transfixes us as only the very best novels ever do.

I thought I had read this book years ago but I didn't find anything about it  familiar. I guess that just speaks to why we shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

This is the second book of Chris Bohjalian's that I have read. The first was The Double Bind which I still am reeling from the ending!! One day I will read that book again to see how I missed how the book would end.

Midwives also had a surprise ending. I won't reveal it here. I like books about
courtroom drama and also medical drama so this hit on both of those areas. This book gets a solid **** from me!

20 comments:

  1. I too enjoyed that book very much! Great author!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried to read two of his books. 'Skeletons at the Feast' was so poorly written I wanted to get out my red marker. I quit well before page 50. The other book 'The Guest Room' I returned to the library yesterday. I read through to the killings (no shocker) and return home of the husband and then quit. Would some woman really allow her husband to throw a bachelor party with strippers in her home? Not me. And for her, I had no sympathy. Stupid is as stupid does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read others that think the same thing Denise. But, in the two books I have read by this author, I haven't found that to be true. I very much have enjoyed both books!

      Delete
  3. The premise certainly sets the stage for some intense drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does! I believe that our current medical society has turned a simple birthing process into a medical condition. I am not in favor of home births but I certainly wish hospitals would allow for nature to take it's course in many cases.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like an interesting book! Since the British drama "Call the Midwives," I've been interested in the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I'm not enthused about my latest download, I think "Midwives" should leap-frog to the front. (Or, do you recommend I do "Double Bind" instead?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't love the Double Bind until it ended...now I want to read it again. Both books are vastly different. I think you would enjoy them both!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like one I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK I'm putting both of those books on my ever expanding list of books to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice. Glad the ending surprised in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about it being in a good way??

      Delete
  9. I haven't read it, but will check it out. It sounds interesting and we seem to like similar books.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!