Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Wednesday Hodgepodge-January 6th Edition

The first Hodgepodge of 2016! Joyce will pose the questions on her blog, From This Side of the Pond. We answer on our blogs and then link-up and go visiting others. Don't you want to join us??

1. Are you ready for new? Is 2016 likely to be very different than 2015? Do you want it to be?

I am ready for new. I love January's. It always feels like we are getting another chance to start over. I like making goals. I like planning. I want 2016 to be different from 2015 in so many ways. I am moving Forward! I am ready to carve out a life for myself. I think!


 2. January 6th is National Technology Day. Currently, what is your single biggest struggle or frustration when it comes to technology?


I don't really struggle too much with technology anymore. I can remember when we first got the computer at home. I had my computer guru, Fred, on speed-dial for when I screwed things up. He would always come over and show me how to fix it. He always was good at encouraging me to play with it and to not be afraid. Sadly he moved away. But I don't have anymore problems. Or at least not very often. And I have two teens who live here. They know how to do most things on the computer pretty well. And they can almost always straighten me out on how to best use my cellphone.


 3. It's that time again...time for 
Lake Superior University to present a list of words (or phrases) they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, and general uselessness) in 2016. You can read more about the decision making process here, but this year's top vote getters are-

So (at the start of every single sentence), conversation (as in hotly debated topics where we're invited to 'join the conversation'), problematic, stakeholder, price point, secret sauce, break the Internet, walk it back, presser, manspreading (common in larger cities where some men take up the entire bus or train seat by sitting wide), vape, giving me life (refers to anything that may excite a person or make them laugh), and physicality

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?


So, I am finding most of this list problematic.....haha, not really. I cannot stand when people begin their sentences with So. I have been noticing that on the Food Network shows and it drives me batty. The  rest of the words I haven't really heard that much. We have talked about vaping here! The kids know more about it than I do. But I don't think either of them are vaping. I am ready to quit hearing terms like BFF, BAE, K, LMAO....all terms I see pretty frequently in text messages from my grandchildren. I make them spell out "Okay". Really, is it that hard? And I have been known to tell Harley that her a** is still there, she didn't laugh it off!!




4. Share one of your current health related goals.

I am reading Whole 30 because I want to do a Whole 30 in March to see if we want to try a Paleo diet. That is my goal for January. And drink more water. And walk more.


 5. Let's talk fifty shades of gray. As in the color. Gray is currently a popular color in home decor, paint, wardrobes, hair, wedding party attire, and more. Are you a fan? Do you have the color in some variation in your home or wardrobe?  Gray hair, the old gray mare, gray matter, gray area...which gray idiom can you most relate to right now?


I have a gray bathroom and I am getting ready to paint Darian's bedroom a semi-dark shade of gray. I also quit coloring my hair in 2014 and it is more gray now than salt and pepper. So I guess gray hair and old gray mare both fit me pretty good!


 6. Certain foods are considered 'lucky' if eaten on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day. Cooked greens to bring economic fortune, black-eyed peas or lentils also symbolize money, pork which symbolizes progress, fish for good luck, and if you're in Spain 12 grapes at the stroke of midnight. Did you eat any lucky foods on the first day of the year? Is that a tradition in your home? Of the foods listed, which most appeals to you?


When Richard was alive we always had black-eyed peas and cornbread on New Year's Day. Always. But the kids don't like them. So, I didn't fix them this year! Hope that won't ruin my chances at an economic fortune!


 7. What's the single biggest time waster in your life and what, if anything, will you do about it this year?


My biggest time waster is Facebook. I am not even sure why! I don't really have many Facebook friends. So I mainly follow pages and newsfeeds and check on the grands. Yes, that is a good idea. Goal: reduce the amount of time I spend on Facebook!!


 8.  Insert your own random thought here.


My word for 2016 is Forward! And this quote resonates with me today!



22 comments:

  1. I like your Confucius quote. Whatever is happening, just keep on moving. My word for 2016 is Trust and I'm going to try harder to do that. Getting there will involve your word, too, because I will need to stop looking back at things that have happened and just move forward.

    Best wishes to you as you move forward. Have a blessed day and a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne! And good luck to you in 2016

      Delete
  2. I like that quote and that is so true! I agree about Facebook, it can be so time consuming. I timed it one time and it took me 30 minutes to get from the top of my feed to where I had left off the last time I was on it. And it wasn't really worthwhile stuff I was doing on it.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very true quote. I am going to try to remember it and not stop this year!! I have never timed how much time I waste on Facebook. And I rarely find good stuff!

      Delete
  3. Love the quote. I spend way too much time on FB and have said I would back off this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you need to worry about missing out on the black eyed peas : ) Wishing you well in your efforts to move forward this new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joyce! That means a lot to me

      Delete
  5. I'm with you on the teen words. Bae was my least favorite. Manspreading, eh? I hadn't heard the word, but I have certainly seen the um . . . spreading. I may gave to use that word a few times and feign ignorance that it is on the banished list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard manspreading. I can't remember where. It is a gross word in my estimation. Because it is rude! And I am with you on the word bae. Harley and her friends used it for a bit!

      Delete
  6. Facebook is probably my biggest time waster, too. I am using it to keep up with several healthy eating groups and that's really helped me eat better for the last few months. Getting healthier is high on my list for 2016. I made good progress in 2015, but adding exercise and losing more weight -- 15 pounds -- is next on my list. Here's to a healthy 2016 for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you Carol. It seems to be a continued goal every year, doesn't it?

      Delete
  7. So, (LOL!) ... I used to believe black-eyed peas on New Years Day was a harbinger of good fortune.
    Except neither of us really could stand the taste; and, when I thought about buying a can 'just in case', our supermarkets were all sold out.
    Funny story: A few years ago I was growing despondent because I couldn't find any black-eyed peas. Then, a day later, Tom proudly called to announce he'd secured a can! I came home to see ... a shiny new can of black beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa! Black beans taste better anyway!

      Delete
  8. Uh oh... I'm guilty of the "So" thing. And I can totally see why those words need to be banished. Or at least walked back a bit.

    I do the same thing on Facebook! I check it to find out what my SIL is doing as she spends her life on there. (And, by extension, I find out what my niece and nephews are up to.) But I mostly follow io9, Slate, Lifehacker, and Mental Floss. We should become FB friends so we can post to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me a friend request Liz. I am PaulaKaye

      Delete
  9. So...My biggest time waster are computer games. Reading my blog must drive you crazy because I catch myself starting sentences with so all the time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading your blog does not drive me crazy. It makes me hungry! LOL!

      Delete
  10. I love your word for the year, and I love that quote from Confucius at the end of your post. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm guilty of using "So" but am trying to be better at that one lol. I love your quote. I often remind myself that some progress is better than no progress. It fits in well with your "forward" word for this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does fit with my word, doesn't it!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!