Thursday, January 7, 2016

Thursday's Question

Do you know the phrase, "the best thing since sliced bread"? There has always been sliced bread, for as long as I can remember. But I guess that it used to be you could only buy a loaf of bread unsliced and then you sliced it yourself at home.

"Sliced bread is a loaf of bread that has been sliced with a machine and packaged for convenience. It was first sold in 1928, advertised as "the greatest forward step in the baking industry since bread was wrapped". This led to the popular phrase, "best thing since sliced bread"."
 
 
I sometimes find a loaf of bread at the store that is not sliced but it is very easy to take care of. There is an automatic slicer available for me to use right there in the bakery department. Or, I can have the people behind the counter do it for me. Bingo! Simple!
 
 
Now today's question is this:
 
 
What do you think is the best thing since sliced bread? What is something you have now that you didn't used to have? Something that is your "sliced bread". 

20 comments:

  1. My food processor. It saves me so much time and work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't own a food processor, but I would imagine that it would save you a lot of time and work!

      Delete
  2. I'm going to say the microwave; saves so much time with meal preparing.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the microwave. I can remember when we didn't have one. I wonder how I re-heated my morning coffee!!

      Delete
  3. My smart-phone! Not that I like to talk so much -- actually, not at all -- but I'm seriously addicted to Facebook, that keeps me grounded during the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, where would we be without the smart phone!!

      Delete
  4. I'm going to go with smartphone. There's so much one can do with it.

    You know, I read someplace that Betty White is older than sliced bread. I forget why the article writer thought that was important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Betty White IS older than sliced bread!

      Delete
  5. Kitchen appliances such as the microwave and dishwasher - they make life SO much easier! I often buy bread that is un-sliced - particularly the French breadstick (baton) :) Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. What would we do without the microwave or the dishwasher!

      Delete
  6. The Internet, even with all its warts. The explosion of readily accessible knowledge and communication has had an enormous impact on culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course. The internet has certainly changed all our lives!

      Delete
  7. Well there are a lot of things better than sliced bread, some of which have been quoted here but sticking with a food theme I'd probably go with oven chips (fries) especially as I nearly caused a fire once using a chip pan lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been thinking about this one. So many things ran through my mind. I would say washer/dryer (can you imagine having to beat it on rocks and then hang it out to dry)! Microwave - I use it a lot during the day... the dishwasher.... My old one broke many many years ago. I was so happy when my husband got me a new one a couple of years ago!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am most thankful to have a modern washer and drier!

      Delete
  9. DVR. The thought of pausing and fast forwarding or recording my TV shows is awesome. I remember being sad when I missed a show and before the times of DVR and reruns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a DVR so I don't know what I am missing! LOL! I can usually find what I want to want on ON DEMAND.

      Delete
  10. The smart phone. It's so great to have such a thing.
    Also, I saw your sweet post to Richard. Hugs, Paula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like the smart phone is a popular choice Zippi. I am voting for my heated leather car seats!!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!