Monday, January 11, 2016

The Good Girl-A Book Review

Here is the Overview from Barnes and Nobel

 
 
"I've been following her for the past few days. I know where she buys her groceries, where she works. I don't know the color of her eyes or what they look like when she's scared. But I will." One night, Mia Dennett enters a bar to meet her on-again, off-again boyfriend. But when he doesn't show, she unwisely leaves with an enigmatic stranger. At first Colin Thatcher seems like a safe one-night stand. But following Colin home will turn out to be the worst mistake of Mia's life. When Colin decides to hide Mia in a secluded cabin in rural Minnesota instead of delivering her to his employers, Mia's mother, Eve, and detective Gabe Hoffman will stop at nothing to find them. But no one could have predicted the emotional entanglements that eventually cause this family's world to shatter. An addictively suspenseful and tautly written thriller, The Good Girl is a propulsive debut that reveals how even in the perfect family, nothing is as it seems.


This is a book, like many of my books, that is on the reading list of a friend. The books she reads are usually ones that I like as well. And this time was not any different. This book was compared to Gone Girl in some of the reviews I read. I couldn't disagree more. But it was still a book I really liked.

In the beginning, the way the book was set up threw me off a bit. I learned that you have to pay very careful attention to the title of each chapter to keep up with where the author is taking you. The book reads in a type of flashbacks and present day. There are just a few main characters that you have to keep up with.

The book takes place in Minnesota in the winter. I have been to Minnesota in the winter and it is cold. Like damn cold. So when the cold was being described here it wasn't hard for me to imagine. And the cabin reminded me much of the Colorado cabin Richard and I spent many days staying in when our boys were growing up. The basics of the book have been written many times over.

The ending of this book was a shocker!! I won't spoil it for you. But I do give it four stars **** and recommend it for your reading pleasure. This is a first novel by this author. I think with her type of writing there will be more good ones coming.


20 comments:

  1. Sounds intriguing; haven't heard much about the book other than seeing its name here and there; now adding it to my to be read list :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the book. It kept me interested to the very end. And it ended in a way I didn't even suspect. That to me makes it a great book!

      Delete
  2. I listened to this as an audio book and loved the different narrators. I was also shocked by the ending! :-) Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU! I haven't done much listening to books. I am going to have to figure out how to download them onto my phone and do more of that!

      Delete
  3. I thought it was a great book and I was shocked at the end, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what made it so good, I thought! We didn't see that coming

      Delete
  4. Winter in Minnesota, eh? No wonder you recommended it! ;-) Thanks for the prayer request.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! I hope you are getting better Gram! I worry about you

      Delete
  5. Sounds interesting. I will have to check this title out on Good Reads. Also ... question. Are you able to direct post your review on Good Reads to your personal blog through Good Reads? Or do you type this review onto your blog the regular way? I was kind of hoping to find a way to type the review on Good Reads and then have that review download to my blog. But I am not sure how that is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I do not know Elaine. I usually just give the stars on Goodreads and then do my review here!

      Delete
  6. Well I will just add this one to the list too LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps when comparing it to Gone Girl they mean that shocking ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be! Or the way the chapters changed the person who was telling the story!

      Delete
  8. Glad you didn't give away the ending. I have this book on hold through the 3M Cloud Library! Thanks for your worry. I have a fever. That comes and goes. The airway vest helped shake out some of the crud. My ribs and intercostals hurt from the barking coughs. Not very lady-like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try my best not to give away the endings in my book reviews. Darn! I hate that you have a fever. You must get better. Have you been back to the doctor? Maybe you need a change in antibiotics.

      Delete
  9. 'So glad for this review. At first, when it was compared to Gone Girl, I was under-whelmed. BUT(!) your 4-star rating and -- best of all -- statement that the ending's a shocker ... prompts me to download this one, as well. Thanks, Paula!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it! But I also liked Gone Girl a lot! The two are not alike though. Not to me!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!