Monday, January 4, 2016

My 2016 Goals-Come Plan With Me

It's that goal time of the year! Could you hear me singing this? It's probably a good thing that you couldn't hear me. But I have been humming "It's the most wonderful time of the year", for some reason. I really do love January. It just seems so fresh. And so new!

I have been thinking about how I want to move forward in 2016. Because I think it is time to move forward. And because I feel like I wasted an entire year. Well, not wasted. But I certainly didn't accomplish much in 2015. And I am thankful for all of you who stayed with me while I wasn't accomplishing anything. 

When I was going to nursing school I learned how to write goals. The goals we would write for a patient care plan had to be SMART.


S...Specific
M...Measurable
A...Actionable
R...Realistic
T...Timely



I don't really write my goals like that for my own personal use. But it is a good form to follow.

I am going to just set up five areas in which I want to work on my life. And under each of those areas will come sub-areas. Then each month I will set a goal for each! Still following me?

My 2016 Goals
 
1.Mental/Emotional
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   reading, reading challenges, book clubs, coloring, stress reduction, chose happiness
 
My first goal for January is:
 
I will sign up for one reading challenge and join one book club!!
 
(check, check both already accomplished)

 

 

 

 
 
 
 
2. Physical
 
 
 
 
 
 
  We are going to do a Whole 30 this year. My plan is for March. After we see how that goes we may plan to eat Paleo. I might join a gym! And I plan to aim for 10,000 steps a day. Plus I am going to be drinking more. Water, that is!! I've been told one feels better when on is better hydrated. I need to buy a scale, schedule some appointments, continue my research into Whole 30 and Paleo.
 
My first goal for January is:
 
I will read the book Whole 30.
 
(already started)
 
 
3. Spiritual
 
 
 
 

 
       This covers my quiet time. My time to pray, read my Bible, study, and memorize. I will be starting with Matthew 6:1-34 on January 18th. I might even find myself going to church more with the kids!!
 
My first goal for January is:
 
I will sign up to memorize with Do Not Depart. I will figure out what my Bible reading program for the year will be.
 
(check on the first one. Already done!)
 
4. Home & Family
 
 
 
 
 
  This area is always on my list of 'to do' better things. I am going to clear the clutter and organize things. I will continue to meal plan. And I will do more freezer cooking. I am also going to organize my digital files. (This one is a biggie) and I have been researching the FlyLady site. Do people really live like that?? LOL!
 
My first goal for January is:
 
I will make a month of meal plans. I will set aside one day for freezer cooking. I will begin work on my digital files. I will organize the Christmas decorations
 
 
5. Financial
 
 
 
 
 
  Don't we all need to do this better? I don't think I was hugely successful last year with spending less at the grocery store. I have to work on that one. And I need to transfer money to the savings account so I can pay the property taxes twice a year. Plus I am going to finally get a will and life insurance taken care of. This old gal is not getting any younger. And those things need attention.
 
My goal for January is:
 
I will budget an amount for saving and take that to the bank first!! They always say "pay yourself first." Now I will try to practice this.
 
 
So there you have it. The areas I am working on this year! NOT resolutions. But Goals! Goals that will move me Forward !
 
 
What areas of your life do you want to work on?



26 comments:

  1. You've clearly given this a lot of thought. Well done. I've tried Flylady but find myself ignoring most of the instructions lol. Good lu with your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laugh sometimes when I am reading FlyLady. Maybe that is enough for me!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Paula - good for you .. and having planned you'll succeed ... they all sound very achievable ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is the secret to goals: you have to make them achievable !

      Delete
  3. I go back and forth with flylady. I love some of her suggestions and I ignore others. I still swish and swipe each morning and the 15 minute timer thing works for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some good points to be found on her site!

      Delete
  4. Great goals, Paula, and I like how you broke them up and how you want to accomplish them and the fact that you already have started working on them :)

    After we sold our house this past year, before we reinvested it into another house, hubby wanted to put the money into a savings account, don't get much interest on it, but any interest is better than none, right? We opened the account and the banker gave us an option of having a certain amount of money deducted monthly to continue to add to the savings. We decided to do that, its a minimal amount, but every little bit starts to add up, right? It is painless because it is taken directly out of the bank on the day we designated with the amount we designated. When we reach a certain amount saved (I think it was $1000) we get rewarded with a $50 gift card from the bank.

    We need to get better about saving too; hopefully now that we have made it through the holidays I'll be able to tuck more away.

    I love the thought of you going to church more too; great fellowship time :)

    You are definitely moving forward; and if you accidentally take a step backward, that's okay, just take two steps forward the next time :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check with my bank to see if they do something like that Betty! Thank you Betty for all of your encouragement. You have become a great friend!

      Delete
  5. With those excellent, "SMART" goals, you are already halfway there, I think. Getting started is so hard, and a good list helps one move FORWARD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting started IS the hardest part for me.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great plan. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Awesome! You go girl! (That was me cheering like I promised!) And I see there are alreadly check marks, so that's a standing hip hip hooray from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gram for cheering me on. It's important to know that there are people in my corner!

      Delete
  8. That's quite the list of goals, Paula! All the best as you set out to achieve them! I definitely have some goals as well and have written a bit about them in recent blog posts (hint hint). What reading challenge have you signed up for? I've set 52 books as my goal on Goodreads and am signing up for the Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have signed up with Paper & Glam for her book club. That is 12 books. And I also am doing ModernMrsDarcy.com reading challenge. Some of those books will fit her challenge. WOW 52 books. Good for you. I am not a fast reader. I will have to push myself to do the 35 I have committed to on Goodreads!

      Delete
  9. For me: move more, eat less and, shrink my yarn stash.

    And on those 3 goals I wrote this long, long, long blog post on my blog ... hahaha! As if I wrote more I would be more successful. Oh well. It is good to have goals.

    I also signed up for 26 books read in 2016 on Goodreads. I probably underestimate what I read - had no real idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought last year when I signed up for 35 that I would make that without any problem. I only made 31. But I set the same goal for again this year. I like the idea of moving more, eating less, and I don't have a yarn stash to shrink!

      Delete
  10. We've got a lot of the same goals. Definitely want to read more this year. I signed up for the challenge on GoodReads for 26 books, too, one every two weeks. I'm decluttering -- making good progress there -- and got to the gym yesterday. I'm aiming for twice a week this year. I'm also trying to walk at least a mile every day. Didn't make it today -- not quite 20 out most of the day -- but otherwise I'm walking. Definitely eat healthier, move more, read more, write more and think before I buy. Have a happy and healthy year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Carol! And Good for Us!! Yay 2016

      Delete
  11. This post is awesome! You are on it lady! So proud of you already starting with your goals. You're going to do great. If you have given it this much thought to have a plan and to have it in writing ( blog post), it will be done. Good luck sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holli! I am going to give it my best this year!

      Delete
  12. Yay, you! I'm so envious of your resolve and structure - two things sorely lacking in my every (work)day. How about for now, I'll just stand over here to the side and cheer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be too envious! Remember I'm not working fulltime like you are! And I have to just say "one day at a time". Thanks for being my cheerleader though

      Delete
  13. This is such an ambitious, thorough, and Wonderful list! I had to come back and read it a second time to give it proper attention (I was interrupted by a little first time;-) Best of luck to you as you work towards these worthy goals!
    Peace,
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is ambitious. I hope it isn't too ambitious!! Thanks for the luck

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!