Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Hodgepodge Wednesday



1. Share a winter memory from your childhood. 
 
I remember going to ride the sled down Cherry Hill in my hometown. We walked what seemed like miles to get there. Carrying or dragging a sled with us. Then we flew down that hill, which was so steep I was sure we would flip end over end.  We trudged, through the snow, back up that enormous hill to do it all over again and again. Years later, as an adult mom, I took my kids to see Cherry Hill. Not only was it not miles from my house (more like blocks) but it was hardly a hill so to speak. Everything looks much bigger from the eyes of a child!

2. What was on your blog this time last year? (Besides the Hodgepodge of course!) If you weren't blogging, what in the world were you doing with all that free time? 

Last year, at this time, on my blog I was writing books reviews (Still Alice) and My Simple Woman's Daybook entry (talking about my Valentine Mantle, Darian's birthday, my mom's birthday, and the weather. Much like the post I just completed. Different times though. And I wrote a post about shoes for Ten on Tuesday. I had not yet discovered The Hodgepodge! I'd probably get lots more house cleaning done if I didn't blog. But, I would rather blog. Who wouldn't?


 3. Ellen Goodman is quoted as saying, 'We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives...not looking for flaws, but for potential.' 

Do you see more flaws or more potential in your life at the start of a new year? Have you done anything specific this month to address either one? Does the new year truly begin for you on January 1, or is there some other month of the year that feels like a fresh start and new beginning?


I usually see more potential in my life at the beginning of the year. I love the beginning of the year. It is like getting a new notebook to write it. I like to sniff the pages, fold the cover back, and contemplate how I will fill the pages. That is what I think about January. I like to think of my goals for the year. How will I accomplish them? And how I will move on if I don't accomplish them. Yes, I am fulfilling my goals so far. For the month of January I hit every single goal I made. Yay for me! Now I need to plan for February's goals.


 4. Who's an athlete you admire or respect and why?


This is rather sad but I cannot think of a single athlete that I admire or respect. They all seem so over-paid and self-centered. I am not really into sports so the ones I hear about are the ones who are all over social media. My late husband adored Tiger Woods. He loved everything about his story. Until he didn't! I remember how sad it made Richard when Tiger fell from grace. And it didn't have anything to do with golf!


 5. Do you like cream in your coffee? Whipped cream on your pumpkin pie? Cream cheese on a bagel? Sour cream on a baked potato? Cream of wheat for breakfast? Have you ever had a scone with clotted cream? Of all the creamy foods mentioned, which one sounds most appealing to you right this very minute?



I drink French Vanilla cream in my coffee every single day. I am not a big fan of pumpkin pie, but it would need to have whipped cream on it if I were to eat it! Yes, to cream cheese on a bagel and sour cream on a baked potato. One of my favorite memories on each of our cruise trips was the 'creamy' cream of wheat served for breakfast. I did have a scone with clotted cream for tea on a cruise ship once! The one that sounds appealing to me right now is the baked potato. I never, and I mean never, turn down sour cream!!


 6. Where were you last kept waiting for 'hours on end'? Or for what felt like hours on end? How well did you cope?


I don't cope well with waiting. Not hours on end. Not what feels like hours on end. I have spoken up 'loudly' at the doctor's office when I have waited longer than what I thought was necessary. I think anything over a 30 minute wait past your appointment time (unless it is an emergency) is unnecessary. Usually it is because they have booked too many appointments into one time slot. And don't ask my grands what I think about 'pulling forward' at McDonald's to wait for a SIMPLE drink order!



 7. Believe it or not, when next week's Hodgepodge rolls around it will be February. Huh?!? Bid adieu here to January in seven words or less.


Goodbye January! You flew by so fast!


 8.  Insert your own random thought here.


I started with a head cold yesterday and feel like "poop"! Hope it doesn't last long! Have a great Wednesday friends!

I will link with Joyce From This Side of the Pond. It's fun! Join us!!

28 comments:

  1. Fast food is not fast any more, that's for sure! I hope you feel better soon. A cold is so miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It seems I feel better during the day and then as evening approaches it gets worse!

      Delete
  2. Feel better soon, colds are no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! Sorry to hear you've got "the crud"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to avoid when you have kids in schools! Harley brought it home to me!! Bless her

      Delete
  4. pray you feel better very soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. It's more fun to blog. Besides, housework is highly overrated. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feel better soon.

    The first question made me laugh. I'd be hard pressed to find a winter memory. But I love how much bigger things seemed to you as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winters in California are what my dreams are made of!

      Delete
  7. When my late brother worked at McDonald's during university breaks, back in the early 1970s, all orders had to be up in 90 seconds or less. If the entire shift had made the 90-second deadline, everyone got a 50-cent piece.

    The Cherry Hill story - hilarious! Yes, things seen through a child's eyes are so very different. Wish we had the energy we had as kids, now, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have certainly strayed away from that 90 second rule. And their food isn't as good as it was in the 70's either!

      Delete
  8. Hi! I'm stopping by from the hodgepodge. I've had to pull forward for a drink order before, too. It really seems ridiculous and if I hadn't paid already, I would have just driven off. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is ridiculous to pull forward just for drinks!!

      Delete
  9. Oh no! Not the cold! Promise, it didn't come from me! When I went back to my doc with a cold AND still lingering pneumonia, he asked me if I wanted a prescription for a cough medicine. I declined and told him I was going with three fingers of sherry instead. Get well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Gram, I know exactly where I got it. And her name is Harley. She had it last week. I tried very hard to avoid but wasn't lucky! I wish I had three fingers of sherry right now!!

      Delete
  10. I hope you feel better soon! Good for getting all your January goals accomplished too! That is a great feeling I am sure. I always loved when the kids would go sledding after a snowstorm; they would be so tired by the end of the day and sleep so well :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I loved it when they slept well too!

      Delete
  11. Hi Paula - I particularly remember the terrible long-lasting snows we had in the winter of 1962/3 .. I've written about it - as it was an amazing event - which lasted ten weeks. I have memories .. but the best were the fairy lights shining in the snow - they would have been inside, so I guess I took a photo from outside.

    Ordinary milk in my coffee and then I almost never have a cup during the day ... and yes just getting over a cold - snuffled along for 2 weeks .. it's nearly gone now!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary I will have to search out that post on your site. It sounds fascinating! I hope this cold of mine doesn't last 2 weeks!! Get better real soon!

      Delete
  12. Your memory of Cherry Hill curiously unleashed a memory I hadn't thought of in years. Thank you for that mental smile!

    I'm right there with you -- patience is surely not my strong suit! Master of the eye roll, I'm too much a coward to actually say anything.

    Puleeze feel better soon! Half our office soldiered through the same thing last week; no fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too much of a coward to say anything. I usually tell them at McDonald's when they ask me to pull forward that it has been my experience if I just wait at the window my order gets ready pretty fast. And then I just sit there. The kids hate me for it. But my order comes right out! (Hopefully they don't spit on my hamburger, lol)

      Delete
  13. Oh yuck. I hope you feel better soon. I loved reading your story about Cherry Hill and it sparked a similar memory of mine. Taking my kids back to an old sledding hill I went to as a child. I built it up as this great hill and then when we got there, it was not the same. We still made some great new memories there. I enjoyed reading all of your answers to this weeks link up. Have a great weekend. I hope you are them mend from your cold soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Remember how deep the snow would seem every year and we had these "huge" boulders on either side of our driveway. Went back to look at the old house when my nephew was in town and those boulders are hardly even rocks LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Housework is definitely overrated!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!