Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge December 9th Edition


 Last week is gone. It is now a memory. Tomorrow hasn't yet come. It's in the future. Today is Wednesday. Times to join with Joyce From This Side of the Pond. She provides the prompts. We provide the answers. And we share with you and go around leaving our love and comments with others who link up. How can it be any more fun that that??


 1.  Many families have a story they love to tell every year around a holiday. Does your family have one? Are you the star of that story, or does another family member take center stage? Share your story if you want.

We don't have a special story that we tell about Christmas. Christmas was always an "odd" time around our house. Not the joyful, happy, "Santa's coming down the chimney" type of memories. And I choose to leave it at that. If you want to read about how I once craved to have a Norman Rockwell Christmas you can read this post. Sadly, too many Christmas memories were spent trying to find perfection.


 2. Are you afraid to speak your own opinion?


Ha! Ha! Now that I have almost stopped laughing....no, I am not afraid to speak my own opinion. And it has gotten me into trouble more than once in my life. But it hasn't stopped me. I feel that everyone has the right to their own opinion. It might not always be the popular opinion. But that is okay! If you allow me my opinion, I will allow you yours. There are so many things going on in this politically correct world that we are now living in. And I have lots of opinions.


 3. Pantone has announced the
color of the year for 2016, and for the first time have chosen two shades-rose quartz and serenity. Hmmm...did you know serenity was a color? You can read the thought behind their selection here, but essentially it's blending the warmth of rose quartz with the tranquility of a very soft shade of blue. So what do you think? Are these colors I'd find in your home or wardrobe? Will you add something in these shades to either place in the new year?

Dusty rose wing chairs
This brought out memories of past decades and how colors dominated them. Do you remember harvest gold and avocado green from the 1970's? And owls and mushrooms? And orange? I remember. I had those colors in my very first home. In the kitchen. And yes, I owned both colors in appliances. LOL! And shag carpet that was orange. And I remember country blue and dusty rose from the late 1980's and the early 1990's. And geese with blue bows and wooden duck decoys. Ah, the wonderful world of interior decorating. I owned two (one wasn't enough, I had to have TWO) dusty rose wing chairs. And dusty rose, ruffled curtains in my light pink living room. Oh those were the days, my friends!! I won't be adding the colors rose-quartz and serenity (not sure how serenity is a form of blue) to my home this year. Been there! Done that!


 4. If you could be in a Christmas carol, which one would you choose? Why?


Silent Night has always been my favorite Christmas carol. The song is so full of peace! This is where I want to reside. In peace! So that is why I would chose Silent Night. This version by The Temptations is my favorite of all time!! Enjoy!








 5. December 9th is National Pastry Day. Will you celebrate? When did you last purchase something from a bakery? What's your favorite treat that falls under the heading of pastry? Do you make it yourself or buy from the professionals?



Help yourself to a cream horn!
I doubt that I will celebrate National Pastry Day. But you never know. The last purchase I make from the bakery was cookies for Darian's debate group. Sugar cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and oatmeal cookies! They loved them and there wasn't a crumb left. My favorite pastry is a cream horn. This is puffed pastry filled with a whipped creamy custard. I am salivating as I type these words. Richard would often bring these home from the bakery! Love! Love! Love!




 6. When it comes to holiday decorating_____________________________.


When it comes to holiday decorating I would probably not do it if it weren't for the grandkids. Decorating the house and the tree is a lot of work. I am always happy to have a decorated tree standing beautifully in my bay window, but I am not that crazy about doing the decorating. And taking it all down and putting it away is such a pain. But once the tree is up then I have to decorate the mantle and pull out the Christmas dishes and set the table. And on and on and on. So if you stop by my house, just knock on the door, and this little guy will welcome you into the foyer.

Knock on my front door

Welcome to our home!
(last year Harley propped Richard's glasses on his nose so we did it again this year)



 7. When did you last laugh so much it hurt? Explain.


Oh gosh! I don't know if I can remember a time in the recent past. The last time I CAN remember happened in May of 2011 while we were at Dollar General and Harley had to go to the bathroom so bad that she peed in a mop bucket in the backroom. (Because someone (Papa) was in the bathroom. That is the last time I can remember laughing so hard that my sides hurt. That I cried the happy tears. And that I almost peed myself! I must look for ways to laugh like that more often. (Sorry Harley, you know how much I love you).




 8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Remember the reason for the season!!



21 comments:

  1. LOL with the story of Harley's bathroom adventures :) I'm sure this is one she won't want future boyfriends to hear :) I do remember some of those colors you mentioned from the 1970's; what were we thinking with orange shag carpets??? Silent Night was my mom's favorite Christmas tune; it is always so appropriate to be sung at the end of the candlelight service at church on Christmas Eve :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure Darian will tell it to all of her future boyfriends. And she had stories to tell about him too!

      Delete
  2. I laughed so hard today that my cheeks are sore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creme horns were mom's favorite. She called them lady fingers. There is a day old bakery outlet on the road to our road, and every time she went by, she came home with a package of lady fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard them called that before!

      Delete
  4. I love that chair you posted even if its pink! We had the avocado, the harvest gold and the orange growing up and mom had macramé hanging everywhere. My favorite Silent Night version is by Stevie Nicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to listen to Stevie Nicks version! I gave the chairs to my cousin in exchange for a couple of floor lamps. Richard loved the chairs too. And yes I had macramé to!!

      Delete
  5. I love your honesty and thank you for sharing your memories. And the mop-bucket pee story, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting and for sharing your stories. I know what you mean about the effort needed to get the tree and decorations in place. I often dread having to do it but I'm always glad I've made the effort when the lights are switched on and I'm pleased with how it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way Wendy! I am lucky to have two teen granddaughters that like decorating for me. And once the tree is up then I am in the mood for the rest of the decorations. But taking it all down is my job only!! Ugh!!

      Delete
  7. I'll answer your question here instead of the comments from the previous post . . . mostly cuz I'm tired. GN is mending, but still on narcotics for pain. She is limping around on one crutch under her good arm and a sling for the other arm where the shoulder is broken. She is still finding new places she hurts and has not been back tomschool yet. She sleeps a lot . . . and needs to. Thanks so much for asking. Glad you liked the Linus link. Today is the 5oth anniversry of that TV special and Schultz got is start her in MN. On top of everything, I am battling pneumonia. Hope your week is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you answered my question. It is hard to believe that Linus has been around for 50 years. Wow! Where has all the time gone?? GN was pretty banged up, wasn't she? And now with you having pneumonia on top of that!! I am sending you hugs and lots of healing prayers!

      Delete
  8. Ah right, the color of the year. Must make something in it and add it to my shop. Because people actually look for... No. No they don't. (Although, I don't hate those colors.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't hate the colors either! In fact I really like them. But I am not going to buy anything new in either color!!

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh....Harley is going to kill you but tell her she is not alone. When I was practicing for the 3 day 60 mile walk I had to pee so bad and there was nowhere (I live in the country) so I stepped down into a ditch. I had mosquito bites where no one should have mosquito bites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to walk with a friend in the mornings after we had worked all night. I peed in more than once ditch!! Harley has had the story told so many times that I don't know if she isn't immune to it by now. Trust me, it was so funny!!

      Delete
  10. I remember the country blue and rose color scheme. My mom had two rose colored wing backed chairs. I was so happy when she upgraded her living room and gave them to me. I remember the whole duck theme thing too. My mom had that in our kitchen when I was growing up down to the dishes. Good memories!

    Stopping by Hodgepodge
    http://italianbelladiaries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I wasn't the only pink wing chairs owner!! Thanks for sharing!!

      Delete
    2. Crystal, I have visited your blog several times. Very nice!! But I can't comment because it doesn't support my browser. Crazy! I have Internet Explorer!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!