Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge-December 16th Edition


This is our last Hodgepodge before Christmas. Joyce is taking a Christmas break next week. Then Hodgepodge will be back on December 30th! Join From This Side of the Pond to answer this weeks prompts!!



 1. What's your biggest 'first world' problem?

LOL! I could go on and on with my 'first world' problems. But the one that is annoying me most today is my internet connection. So s.l.o.w......and it is my own fault. I have an old modem and router. I need to get into the car and go to the cable store and pick up a new one. The cable store is on the other side of town. And I am lazy. Can it get more 'first world' than that???


 2.  Each year
Time Magazine names a 'Person of the Year', someone who has 'for better or worse...done the most to influence the events of the year.' It was recently announced they've named Angela Merkel Person of the Year for 2015. You can read more about this year's selection here. Your thoughts? If you were in charge, who would you declare Person of the Year? 

Well, I had never heard of Angela Merkel until she was appointed Time Magazines Person of the Year. The only thing I know about Time Magazines Person of the Year is what I hear on TV. I don't read Time Magazine. This lady certainly sounds like she is important and would qualify for this title. I went to research who other "persons of the year" have been and to my surprise found names like Stalin, Hitler, Khrushchev, and others who fit into these categories and wonder why they would select such men!! I think when you make someone "Person of the Year" it shouldn't be because they kill people or suppress their country in some way or another. After reading how they select the "person of the year" I have decided that they are not bestowing an honor (although many see it as such) but just telling us who was the biggest newsmaker of the year. With that being said, I would nominate "The Gun" to be the 'person' of the year. Every single day there are more stories about school shootings, cop shootings, accidental shootings, kids killing kids, gang members and drive-by shootings. And yet, this country continues to fight against gun control. Of any kind! And use the Constitution of the United States of America as their excuse. The Constitution was written at such a time as every home needed a gun for protection and for acquiring food. That is no longer the case. I would love to at least see gun registration, mental health testing, licenses, and anything that makes it harder for every person in the world to have a loaded gun at their disposal. Stepping down from my soap box now!


 3. Do you have a nativity set in your home? If so share it's history and how you display the pieces.


This is my little nativity set. I have had it for about 30 years. Maybe more. I bought it from a 'home party' system and have loved it from day one. I bought a little hay bale years ago to use for the hay in the bottom of the manger. Over the years Joseph and one of the Kings have gotten broken. Yet, I still use them. And I always set it up in the same order: first the manger and then I spread the hay. Then I place the donkey, the cow, Joseph and Mary inside the manger. Next is Baby Jesus and the Angel. Then the shepherd and his sheep. And finally the Three Kings! I am going to look at Nativity sets one day to replace this one. But not yet! This is still one of my favorite Christmas decorations of all time.


 4.  Do you make an extra effort to give back in some way during the holiday season? How do you encourage those who need encouragement this time of year?


Yes, we do make an extra effort to give back. We try to do it more often than just at Christmas. I take things down to the food bank at least twice a year. And I donate to Goodwill all the time. But at Christmas we always try to find someone in need that can use a hand-up. The past couple of years it was a teen at the kids' high school. This year the kids' youth group raised money for 2 homeless teens in our town. This was our special project this year.


 5. Who is your favorite person to shop for? Why?


I don't like to shop! For most anyone. Last year my favorite person was our 'adopted' teen. I loved thinking how he would be surprised to find the gifts we picked specially for him. They were given anonymously to him by the school principal. And we have no idea who he is. As it should be.


6. What's the last delicious thing you ate?


 For our dinner I made a very good Chicken pot pie. Instead of using a pie dough for the crust, I used chicken stuffing on top. The filling was chicken, broccoli, cauliflower and chicken gravy. Yum, along with cranberry sauce, it was a very tasty meal. And so easy to make!! But when I think 'delicious' my mouth always waters for a Lindor Truffle!!




 7. The best way to spread Christmas cheer is________________.


The best way to spread Christmas cheer is to love each other all through the year. And to remember why we celebrate Christmas.


 8. Insert your own random thought here
.

We'll be missing him at Christmas!



24 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, darling friend. May you feel, watched over, and loved from the highest place.
    Also, on a different note, your pot pie sounds delicious.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas Zippi!! I must come over to visit you today!

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas. Use that old router and modem and get on your computer to shop online. I also hate to shop and shopping online has been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, all of my shopping has been online! So easy but not as cheap with the high shipping costs!

      Delete
  3. Your chicken pot pie with the stuffing sounded delicious; might have to try that down the road :) So sweet to have provided presents for your adopted teen; we've done things like that before and it is always so rewarding. I have to agree with your choice of The Gun as "Person of the Year." Christmas I believe is never the same when we lose a dearly loved one; always seem to miss them more around holiday times.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a wonderful recipe. I found it on the back of the stuffing box! So quick and so easy. I made the chicken breasts in the crockpot during the day and then just tossed it all together!! Yes, I agree that it seems we miss them more during the holidays!!

      Delete
  4. Thoughts going out to you as I know Christmas will be different for you. And, you are right about the gun craziness. I am a member of the Moms for Gun Sense in this country. We need to make changes in laws, in punishment, in availability... NOW! It's just beyond sense to allow guns/shooters so much freedom! It's infringing up on my right to happiness. I plan to vote for a candidate who sees the need for change, and plans to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there does need to be some kind of gun law changes. What we have now are not working for us. I look forward to seeing who will make changes!

      Delete
  5. My favorite person to shop for is my mother. She is fun to shop for, easy to shop for, and always so precious and gracious in her thanks. Sweet photos of Richard. The pot pies sound delicious. I love the twist on the crust! The crust is the reason I stopped making pot pies. I like your option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mother sounds like a wonderful woman! How lucky you are? The pot pie was really good. There were no left-overs. That is how I know they like it!

      Delete
  6. Online shopping is the answer - both to not liking shopping or wanting to trek out for your router. As long as you have the patience to do it on your s l o w computer lol. You can stay on that gun soapbox as long as you like. As a Brit I cannot imagine owning a gun even if I had the right to and I'd certainly be terrified of using one.
    The chicken pie sounds delicious and nice idea of supporting someone in your community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, online shopping is the best! I will need to look into getting my modem online. Maybe I can!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your nice comments and the follow.

      Delete
  7. I chose a high school student for my angel tree, too. Last year I found out who it was because I recognized the clothing I bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I wouldn't let the kids shop with me. I didn't want them to know who we were helping. We kept it anonymous!

      Delete
  8. Christmas really is all about the giving I think and I, too, try to give all throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to give at Christmas. But people need help all through the year!

      Delete
  9. Year of the gun. Yes, I agree with you on that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I have the very same nativity set. Our Joseph was broken years ago in one of our moves and we bought a replacement somewhere we thought would work. He's a little too tall but we add him anyway : ) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if we did, from your description! I like mine too. One of my favorites. Even though my Joseph is broken. As well as one of the kings. Merry Christmas to you Joyce!

      Delete
  11. I love your nativity set. And your thouoghtful answers. I have a collection of 1950's plastic all-in-one nativities, which are a bit tacky but somehow speak to my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the tackiness of things sometimes myself. I have a doll collection and some of them are pretty tacky!!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!