Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Thanksgiving 2015 Ice Storm

I just know that you have all been wondering, "where is Paula? Why didn't she post her Simple Woman's Daybook on Monday? We really miss her when she isn't here." LOL! Maybe you weren't wondering at all. But here's the story:

First night the tree is up
We had our Thanksgiving on Friday. Only 6 of us at the table but it was laden with all of our favorites. And we had plenty leftover for sandwiches and leftovers the rest of the weekend. On Saturday, Justin got the tree put together and the girls decorated it. I decorated the mantle and got the Christmas dishes out! Then the ice storm began. We had 1/2 inch of ice on all the trees and lines around our house. All was well, though, as we still had power. We didn't have anyplace to go so we were safe at home.

Justin and Paige left on Sunday afternoon and made it home safely. School was canceled for Monday due to the icy conditions and the many homes without power. The kids and I went to bed early. It was a long weekend.






The pool pad in back
Frozen trees
Backyard
Around 4 a.m. on Monday morning I was awakened to a very silent and dark house. Our power was off. Stepping onto the front porch told me the power was off all over the neighborhood. While standing on the porch I could hear the popping and cracking of trees all around us. Early Monday, when it was finally light enough to see, I found piles of tree limbs in the back yard. I haven't taken pictures of those yet. I am talking about BIG tree branches. Branches that drug down power lines and cable lines and even the old telephone line that was still attached to my house. (I no longer have a landline here).
Harley in the pool
I reported the outages and was told it would be WEDNESDAY before power would be restored. There were more than 4,000 residents without power. The hotels were full with power refugees and men coming into town to help with the outages.

So we loaded up and went to Maize, Kansas. This is close to Justin. He booked us into the Holiday Inn Express there. A pretty new hotel and very nice I must say. Then he met us there and took us to dinner. Harley enjoyed the pool and Darian enjoyed the gym. And granny enjoyed the warmth!

At 6:15 this morning I received a text message that my power was back on. But we stayed and ate breakfast, visited the gym again (Darian, not us girls) and took a morning nap. We arrived home about noon. The kids changed, grabbed their book bags and I drove them to school. Life was back to normal.

Not yet....

Power went off again. And came on. And went off. It's now on. Cross your fingers. I spent the afternoon dealing with Cox Communications trying to get my cable and internet back on. They kept telling me they were showing that I had no  problem here. Duh, I was!! About 30 minutes ago we finally got TV and internet. I am about to go pick up Harley from basketball practice. Hopefully this will be the last ice storm for us this year!!!!








26 comments:

  1. I *did* wonder where your Monday post was! Glad you made it through the ice storm in one piece. We're supposed to get it starting tonight. Blah. I hate winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you "hating winter"!

      Delete
  2. Yikes. What a nightmare. Glad you were able to find a hotel with power to stay in and ride it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. I hope you all don't get anymore ice storms. That looked pretty bad there. Glad you guys made it out okay. Loved seeing you you back here today. Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But look how wonderful....an impromptu vacay and an extra dinner with Justin....life is good and yes, we did miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...way to find the bright side Wendy. But it was no vacay in the room with with two teens!!! We did survive however

      Delete
  5. I hope it's over, too. What a clean up mess you will have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a mess to clean up. And the city has promised Not to help at all.

      Delete
  6. OK, ya ... I was wondering! (But you knew that already, didn't-cha?)

    After watching the newscasts from Oklahoma, then 'hearing' your account, I think I'd better refrain from saying, "Lucky duck." Winter may be my favorite season, but not to the extent y'all have endured! Glad to know everyone's OK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, if I were you, I wouldn't say "lucky ducky". I hate winter. And this is part of the reason why. Eight years ago we were without power for a full week and Richard wouldn't leave the house!

      Delete
  7. I did wonder where you were, Paula; I am glad you were safe and came up with the plan to go to a hotel; that was brilliant, I'll have to remember that if we have conditions like that. I do admire those service people that get out and work to restore power in conditions like this. I hope your power does continue to stay on and that everyone's that needs to be restored gets restored quickly. I've never been in an ice storm; hope you won't have any more this winter!

    On the other hand, your Thanksgiving celebration did sound delicious and fun!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty. Thanksgiving was a good day

      Delete
  8. Hi Paula - oh gosh - that sounds very unpleasant - but I'm glad things are sorting themselves out - am now waiting to see those tree limbs ... Ice storms are horrific ... glad you're all safe - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to get those pictures today Hilary!

      Delete
  9. I was wondering where you were!! Glad to hear you are okay! I hate when the power goes out - probably more so in the summer. We had it out for about 3 days or more one summer when it was over a 100 degrees out. And then for a couple of days in the winter when it was freezing out. But we were lucky as other people had it out for more than a week! I wish my husband would take us to a hotel when this happens - but no way will he do that - LOL!
    Ice storms freak me out - hate them!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been on both ends of the power outage. Eight years ago we were without power in the dead of winter for 8 days. Then the summer before Richard died we lost our A/C and stayed a couple days in a motel. I wouldn't go to motel either but my son insists (and pays). They are just too expensive.

      Delete
  10. Yikes!!! Glad you are ok. Ice storms can make for some very beautiful photos, but I am content to look at those from other people. The hotel pool looks inviting. If the ice storm was that bad, how was the driving to get to the hotel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ice storms are beautiful. But so damaging. The tree guys were in the back all day today cutting off branches that would interfere with power lines. And they don't care what your tree looks like when they leave. We live on the edge of town so the drive to Maize was okay. Our county was hit the hardest.

      Delete
  11. I may never lose power again. I say that because six years ago I put in a whole house generator. Only once has it gone on and that was in the summer. It's like carrying an umbrella and no rain but leave it at home or wash your car and 'guess what happens?'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have talked about a generator but I just can't justify the expense since we have only lost power twice in all my years of living. But I would be it would give one comfort to know they have one.

      Delete
  12. HI PAULA! I am SO glad you are okay, but that is crummy about all the damage etc. Ice storms are just awful. Last year we had an ice storm and the kids were happy they could actually skate in the driveway, but we were so lucky to have power, usually we lose it. We really should have a generator but we have so far we have been fortunate to get power back within 5 hours. I am very glad you had a nice thanksgiving, I tried to send you an ecard but it would not send. I am getting caught up on email and will email you soon, I miss you! I am just getting caught up on blogs again too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to see you Ellie!!!!!!!!! Yes, the damage can be devastating. We were lucky we did not have much damage to our trees. But the power being out is enough. It is traumatic. I don't know how people live without power. Of course they didn't know what power was like so you can't miss what you don't know! Hope you are doing better now!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!