Monday, December 7, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook-December 7th Edition

For Today... 

Today is Monday, December 7, 2015. It is known as Pearl Harbor Day here in the United States.

 
"At 7:55 a.m. Hawaii time, a Japanese dive bomber bearing the red symbol of the Rising Sun of Japan on its wings appears out of the clouds above the island of Oahu. A swarm of 360 Japanese warplanes followed, descending on the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor in a ferocious assault. The surprise attack struck a critical blow against the U.S. Pacific fleet and drew the United States irrevocably into World War II."


Outside my window...

It is a very bright, sun-shiny, day here in my part of the world. The calendar says December but the weather is more spring-like. Right now the temperature is 52*. The remainder of the week is going to be in the upper 60's and possibly even 70* on Friday. From ice storms to spring-like weather. You just can't predict it in Kansas. But, hey, I'm not complaining. I will take this over snow and ice anytime. Wouldn't you?

 


I am thinking...
 
I am thinking about Frank Sinatra. Did you watch the special on TV last night on CBS? Frank was a favorite of both mine and Richard's. Richard loved to dance to Frank Sinatra songs. And I loved to dance with him. Or whatever it was that we were doing. He never made me feel bad that I couldn't dance as well as him. And he didn't complain, not once, when I would step on his toes. His favorite Frank Sinatra song was "The Best is Yet to Come." He was always so positive in his thinking (to my more negative way). He always reminded me that "the best is yet to come." My favorite Frank Sinatra song was "My Way" Richard used to tease me and say the song fit me to a tee, because I had always done things my way!! Oh how I miss him. And Frank Sinatra!


I am thankful...
 
I am so thankful that I have the beautiful memories of my life with Richard. Now, while I am missing him, I am sustained with all the memories!


On my clipboard...







My newest coloring project
 








 

From my camera...



The two outdoor pictures are my neighbors houses. Santa is sitting in my bay window and this was taken from outside. The tree is ours!


 
 
 
 
 
 

I am going.....

to be sending out a few Christmas cards. I received these in the mail from the Disabled American Veterans. Richard always sent a donation to them at Christmas. (I will continue this for him) and they send us an assortment of beautiful cards. With these cards the envelopes are as pretty at the card.

 















 


A picture to share with you...



Harley and Paige at church Sunday



 


I am reading...

Currently I have been reading The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. This is a real-life drama about the Chicago World's Fair and a murderer. So far I am really enjoying it. However, it is long! So I might be here awhile.
 


 


I am learning...

 




I have joined a group on ScriptureTyper to memorize The Christmas Nativity Story
Luke 2
















 
In my backyard...


 
 
 





All of the trees have been pruned and the piles of brush have been cleaned.
 



 


In my kitchen...

 
 
Monday...Chili dogs and Tater Tots
 
Tuesday...Salad
 
Wednesday...Kids will eat at church
 
Thursday...Breakfast for dinner
 
Friday...Darian and I are eating out!
 
Saturday...Meat Loaf, mashed potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts
 
Sunday...Chili, crackers, dill pickles
 


What I'm watching on TV...

I finished watching 90-Day Fiancé last night. That is a wild show. These are couples who meet in another country, get a K1 visa for their intended, be together for 90 days, then decide to marry or not. Quite a variety of individuals. One man was 40 years older than his Philippine bride. Hmmmmm! I have to wonder how many of them are just wanting a way to come to America. But it was interesting.   
 


A favorite quote for today...




 















 




 
A peek into my week...
 
 
Today...I am doing very little today. Working on this post and my weekly menu. Both kids have practices after school so I won't pick them up until 6:30.
 
Tuesday...Darian will be judging a debate in Abilene, Kansas so he won't be home until around 10 p.m. Harley has a basketball game at home.
 
Wednesday...After Basketball practice, I will take them to church to meet with their youth group.
 
Thursday...Darian will meet with his Marine group and Harley has basketball practice
 
Friday...Harley will be traveling to Salina-South for basketball so Darian and I will go out for supper. I need a haircut too. Maybe this will be the day.
 
Saturday...Darian will be traveling to Pratt, Kansas for a debate tournament and needs to leave at 5 a.m. He won't be home until evening.
 
Sunday...As of right now there are no plans. So it might truly be a day of rest!!


 


 


Post Script...

I will be linking with Peggy at The Simple Woman's Blog. Then I will make the rounds to see what the others are doing this week. After that I plan to grab a snack and relax in my recliner with my book. What are your plans this week??
 




****************************

24 comments:

  1. Goodness, but Paige looks so sophisticated beyond her years! Both girls are truly lovely.

    I'm sorry we missed that Sinatra special last night. My late/former hubby was a huge fan, and always said "My Way" was written for him. Me, not so much, but I sure respect his 'take no prisoners' approach to life. :)

    Well, since I've dillied and dallied this long - and we're leaving town Wednesday, I think it's too late to send Christmas cards. Mebbe New Years? We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't sent cards out for a few years now. I usually just tell people Merry Christmas! Of the two, Paige is the youngest! She is quite into fashion however.

      Delete
  2. Oh, don't you just love those adult coloring pages?!?! I have a book that I leave at work to help pass the time between calls. So relaxing! I started watch that 90 day Fiancé, but just couldn't get into it. Your menu sounds yummy! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving my coloring! I get my pictures off the internet. Yes, at times watching 90-Day Fiancé was a challenge

      Delete
  3. I worked for a man who always said, "Well, we'll be doing it my way." It was reported he said that when he died. He was one of the best people I ever worked with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post and love the pictures. I hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to record the Sinatra special! I wonder if it is available On Demand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it is. If you are a Frank Sinatra fan it was a really good show!

      Delete
  6. We get those Christmas cards too and I always make a little donation. It is just enough cards for me to send out too :) I didn't see the special last night with Frank Sinatra; I'm sure it was a good one though. He had such a great crooning voice. So cute with the Christmas tree! Very festive! I agree, I would rather have a variety of weather than snow this time of year!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My preference would be for NO snow! But then I live in Kansas!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a busy week. I've got to get off my duff and figure out Christmas presents. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just ordered a few things from Amazon. Shopping at home is my favorite way to do this!

      Delete
  8. Hi Paula - Pearl Harbour Day was a desperate time. You are busy, the girls look amazing .. and I'm glad you are carrying on as Richard would have done with the Christmas cards ... they look amazing. Glad the tree 'mess' has been sorted out for you ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a desperate time indeed. One that will live in infamy, as has been said. Cheers your way too my friend!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a pretty full week. I hope you enjoyed your day of relaxation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am busy running here and there. But not really that busy!

      Delete
  10. If Linus can 'memorize' Luke's Nativity story, so can you . . . except Linus begins with verse 8. Here's the link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pn10FF-FQfs. It's my favorite partnof the cartoon.
    You are reading a very serious book. I still find it haunting. How nice that you get to go out to eat with Darian. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Thank you for the link. Linus is adorable. It is a pretty serious book. How is GN doing???

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful tribute to your husband. Until we lose the ones we love, we never really realize how valuable memories are. Great post, once again. I loved reading it! Sounds like you've got a busy week ahead... good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is so true, Lady! We remember the good times. And all of those "not so good times" just seem to disappear. Richard wasn't a perfect man. But I loved him powerfully!!

      Delete
  12. I love that you're doing Christmas cards. I should have the kids do some of those this year. I say that, but no one could read half of what they scratched on a card. Maybe we have to work on handwriting and do it next year.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!