Sunday, December 27, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook-December 28th Edition

For Today... 
 
Today is the last Monday of 2015. Just saying that makes me wonder "where did this year go?" I have been saying that a lot lately. I guess I might just be getting old. I remember when my mom told me the day would come that I was sorry I had spent so much time wishing my life away. That day is here!!


Outside my window...
 
Outside my window winter has arrived in Kansas. And it is cold!! Baby, it's cold outside. Yes, baby it is. Like freezing. Like in the single digits cold. And the road is covered in ice. And we are expecting 6-10 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow. I hope and pray these weathermen don't know what they are talking about!!


I am thinking...
 
I am thinking about how quickly winter came. We have been having temps in the 60's and them BAM we are in the single digits!!!!!


I am thankful...
 
I am thankful for the wonderful Christmas we had. Did you have a nice Christmas too? I hope all of you did. Darian and Harley opened one gift each on Christmas Eve. We stayed home and watched "A Christmas Story" on TV.
Harley made a Jib-Jab featuring our family as the Family from the story. It is so cute. Check it out: 

Maxfield Family A Christmas Story

On Christmas Day I napped a bit. Justin and Paige came in the late afternoon. We cooked the most luscious T-bone steaks on the grill and along with baked potatoes, green salad, and apple pie and ice cream we had a non-traditional Christmas dinner. Then we opened presents. And capped off the evening with a game of Mexican Train dominoes. Which Harley won!!



I am listening to....

I am listening to a sports program that is talking about Peyton Manning using performance enhancing drugs. What the heck is the matter with these 'great' athletes?


I am creating...

I am not creating much right now. I do not even have the weekly menu decided. I best get to working on that or you won't see it posted below.




I am reading...

I just finished reading First Love, by James Patterson. You can see my review right below this post. I loved it! Cried myself to sleep last night. I just down-loaded The Good Girl by Mary Kubica. Stay tuned!!
 


I am hoping...

I am hoping the roads clear enough for me to drive Harley to basketball practice tomorrow. If not she isn't going. I don't drive on ice. EVER!!


I am learning...

I am learning a lot of new information about Whole 30. We are going to do this in 2016. We, as a family, are deciding on our start date. It is not going to be in January. That much I know for sure!!


In my backyard...

In my backyard the ground is white. And frozen. And there are still small limbs falling out of the trees from our last ice storm. 
 


In my kitchen...

Monday...Ham and cheese omelets

Tuesday...Crockpot Potato Soup and crackers

Wednesday...Spaghetti

Thursday...New Year's Eve Snacks

Friday...Pizza

Saturday...Roast, potatoes, carrots

Sunday...Chili
 


 


A favorite quote for today...


 





















 
A peek into my week...


This week the kids are out of school. Harley has basketball practice Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. There is a possible scrimmage on Thursday eve. The kids (Darian, Kat (his girl), Harley and Paige) are planning a get together for New Year's Eve with movies, games, and eating. Just a small party. Justin and I will be in the adult room. LOL!!

 


One of my favorite things...

On of the my favorite Christmas gifts is two beautiful coloring books and a wonderful box of new colored pencils. (Not the cheapos I have been coloring with) I can't wait to start coloring.

Happy New Year to all my family and friends!
 
I will add my link to Peggy's Simple Woman's Blog and go off to visit some of my friends from there. Won't you join me?

 
 





****************************




20 comments:

  1. Hi Paula - glad you had a happy time - though the weather in the States sounds troublesome ... not surprised about the not driving on ice. Take care and all the best for the lead up to 2016 - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ice will keep a lot of people from driving. I just wish the idiots that don't know how to drive slowly would stay home. Then there wouldn't be as much to worry about!! Good wishes to you for 2016 as well, Hilary!

      Delete
  2. I also got some coloring supplies this Christmas and finally, now that we are passed the big holiday, I might have time to do some of this. Our own weather has been sickly warm. For the last week, we have had our windows open and fans running. Christmas Day was in the mid 70s. I want winter to be Winter! I want to wear my winter clothes and do my winter in door things, snuggled happily in my warm house. They say it will get colder starting today! We will see.

    Merry Christmas, Paula. The very best to you in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't mind that winter acts more like spring. I do not like anything about winter! Not the cold, not the snow, not the ice. I don't wear anything much different from winter and summer so I don't miss that. But I don't like being cold!!

      Delete
  3. How cute with the JibJab :) I do agree, I did not like driving on ice in Montana; snow is so much better if one has to choose between the two. Did sound like a lovely Christmas for you all :) I heard of a lot of other women getting coloring books for Christmas; a great past time, might have to try it myself :) I have to check out that Whole 30; haven't heard of it, sounds interesting, I'm thinking a way to eat?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jib Jab is adorable isn't it? I haven't started coloring in my new books yet but I soon will. There are some water-soluble pencils in the box and I need to learn how to use them. Go read all about Whole 30. I think it is a good way to re-set how we are eating. But it sounds like it might be hard....

      Delete
  4. I am super-excited to hear about the new colored pencils! Yessss! Thank you for sharing your Daybook! The menu sounds great, perfect for cold days. Cold days just call for hot suppers! As for driving on ice - I do not like to do so, either. Today I have to drive in to work on a delayed start schedule, but it still means ice. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you arrived safely at work today!!

      Delete
  5. Some day I'm going to try to do what you are doing here, following this format. I just love it and you really are creating something here, so please don't think your creativity is not in full force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try this format. I like it. It sums up my past week and gets me started thinking about the coming week. And it will leave a diary, of sort, for the family to read someday should they want to.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like the perfect Christmas. Good food, time with family and games. I love dominoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad we aren't closer. It would be fun to play dominoes with you!!

      Delete
  7. I love so much about this post--from the JibJab to the wonderful quote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that JibJab card is hysterical!
    Your Christmas day menu sounds wonderfully yummy, too. We actually(!) enjoyed a nice visit w/ Tom's son and family Christmas eve, then shut out the rest of the world Christmas day.... delightfully low-key. (Thanks for asking!)

    PS - Your quote is so perfect for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed Harley's Jib Jab. I will tell her. She will be thrilled. Don't you love how she used a picture of her with her tongue hanging out to portray the boy who got his tongue stuck on the pole??? Hysterical! A low-key Christmas is the BEST kind of Christmas

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh! I haven't seen Jib Jab in ages. That was great fun to watch. Bravo for setting limits on the ice driving. Besides, it sets a good example to use common sense. Your Christmas dinner sounds wonderful! GN and I have not even had ours yet. We will. I am still too sick to muster it. We're eating, but just not the feast I had planned. Christmas Story is a great family movies to watch isn't it? Glad you had a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harley has such fun with Jib Jab that I splurged and got her a year subscription. Kind of a silly waste of money but sometimes we need to do that. I can't wait for you to feel better and get your feast ready! A Christmas Story was a different kind of Christmas show. It was fun. Justin has that lamp on his office desk!! What a hoot!

      Delete
  10. So, the cold finally hit. I was wondering if it would. We've been shivering here for a couple weeks, but we're always the oddballs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it has arrived!! Single digit with wind chills and the cold is seeping into the house through all the cracks. Praying for no more frozen water pipes!!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!