Sunday, December 13, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook-December 13th Edition

For Today... 
 
Today is Sunday, December 13, 2015. I am starting on my daybook entry a day early. Because we are enjoying a quiet day at home and I might as well get a jump-start on things. It is going to be another busy week here. And then Christmas break will start.


Outside my window...
 
Outside my window we are having some crazy winter weather. We have been having daytime temperatures in the 50's and 60's. This is crazy for December in Kansas. And yesterday we had a thunderstorm. With a lot of rain. And I do mean a lot of rain. I live on a hill above the city of Hutchinson. It is very sandy here. And our ditches were full of rain for a short period of time. I haven't seen the ditches full that often in the 27 years I have lived in this house. Today the wind is blowing. And I mean blowing hard. I am keep my eye on all those recently trimmed cottonwood trees that could snap and fall on my house. And the cypress tree in my backyard sways from side to side like a twig. Scary!!
*update...I just heard we had around 4 inches of rain today. No wonder those ditches were full.


I am remembering...
 
Cowboy Weebles
I am remembering Christmas pasts. Do you have Christmas memories that you think of every year? I remember one Christmas when Danny was 5. Justin would have only been 1! My ex and I had stayed up late getting the gifts under the tree and making sure that all of "Santa's" presents were put together and ready to go. Santa had brought Danny a Mickey Mouse table and chair for his bedroom. He also had gotten a rocking horse and a set of "Weebles". We were getting ready to turn off the lights and head to bed at 2 a.m. when Danny came tearing down the hallway shouting "Santa has been here. Santa has been here." Needless to say we had Christmas morning at 2 a.m. How do you tell a 5 year old that he has to go back to bed when Santa has been here?


I am thankful...
 
I am thankful for my memories. Aren't they what sustain us in the long run?


I am hearing...
 
I am hearing the Food Network in the background. We have been watching Restaurant Impossible. Today he is helping the Broken Arrow Ranch in Wyoming. Very interesting!


I am creating...
 
I'm not really creating much right now.


I am reminding...
I am reminding the kiddos to fill out their calendars so I will know what is going on in their lives. We use Cozi family calendar at my house and it allows us to put in our activities and everyone is then notified on their electronic devices. Helps keep everyone organized.


I am wondering...

I am wondering, (because it's that time of the year) what this next year will bring. I make goals for myself and it is time to start thinking about them. I was terrible with my goals last year. I think I still needed time to sit and grieve. Now I want to start moving on. I think!


I am reading...

I am still reading The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. I am more than half-way. Not spending nearly enough time reading.
 


I am hoping...

I am hoping to get started with Christmas shopping pretty soon. It used to drive Richard batty that I put off shopping for so long. But I just don't like to shop, for one, and I get more done if it is the last minute and I have no choice but to get out there and shop like mad. It's okay since there really isn't anything in particular that I am looking for. (When the kids were younger and wanted certain things I would have to get them early before they were all gone).


I am learning...

I am memorizing Luke 2:7-14 this week. I love this graphic. I wish it wasn't so blurry!

 



































In my backyard...


In my backyard there are a few more smaller branches on the ground. There have been tree trimmers all around, cleaning up from the Thanksgiving weekend ice storm. And my neighbor to the north is putting his house on the market. They have moved to another town to live closer to their kids.
 


In my kitchen...


Monday... I am not cooking!!

Tuesday...Pizza

Wednesday...I'm not cooking!!

Thursday...Breakfast for dinner

Friday...Soup and Grilled Cheese

Saturday...Tacos

Sunday...Meat Loaf
 


 


A favorite quote for today...


 




















 
A peek into my week...

Monday...Harley has basketball practice and then the team meal (just down the street) Darian has debate practice and then he is going to his girlfriend's Christmas Chorus program.

Tuesday ...Harley has a home basketball game

Wednesday...the kids have their youth group Christmas party at church. They will eat, snack, and do a gift exchange!

Thursday...Darian does his Marine thing and Harley has basketball practice

Friday...Christmas break begins with just a half day of school. Harley has a basketball game in Augusta.

Saturday...our annual Christmas lights tour. We will see the Hyde Park Luminaries and Darian and his girl are going to a Christmas party. I'm the driver to and from.

Sunday...Darian has nursery duty at church. And I hope it will be a day of rest!!!


One of my favorite things...

One of my favorite things has always been going on the Christmas Lights Tour. It used to be Richard driving and grandma in charge of the "spiked" hot chocolate or wine. The kids would ride along and "oh and ah" over all the wonderful lights. We would go through the Hyde Park area (a large neighborhood who does paper sack luminaries) and stop on the corner to pay a visit to Santa. Now, I am the driver and the hot chocolate is "plain". It is fun still. The kids still like to get out and say hi! to Santa. He is the same man who has stood on that corner from back when my boys were little. He recently celebrated his 80th birthday. His wife, Mrs. Claus, stands at his side and passes out candy canes. We wouldn't miss this yearly tradition for anything.


Santa and Mrs. Claus in this years Christmas parade
The Luminaries in Hyde Park

 


I will be joining all my friends on The Simple Woman's Blog this week with our own Daybook entries. Won't you join us?? See you all next week for the week of Christmas!!
 






****************************






20 comments:

  1. I've barely started my Christmas shopping, too. I'm usually a lot nearer done by now. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula - well done being organised. I remember a couple of years waking my parents up as Santa had been ... then I just did Santa by myself ... just checking 'things' were there .. the chocolate, the tangerine, pencils etc ... essential items for an eight year old! Have a wonderful week - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely memory! Yes, the chocolate, orange and pencils are necessities!!

      Delete
  3. What a great tradition going to see those lights and I love that Santa Claus is still out there at 80 years old! Get ready for snow; I'm sure it will be heading your way from here and we got a lot of wind too. I can't imagine 4 inches of rain! Does seem like a busy week ahead for you all; I think having the calendars and system like you need to keep track of things is a wise one :)

    Love your memory from Christmases ago; true how can you tell a little one to go back to bed on Christmas morn, no matter what time they get up :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The western half of our state really got blasted with snow yesterday...some have as much as 14 inches! Glad we only had rain.

      Delete
  4. My little town hangs greens and looks very New England for the season. They have been lighting luminaries all the way through town for the last week. So many volunteers, but it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take a lot of volunteers, for sure!

      Delete
  5. I loved the Santa arrival at 2 am. That's so cute! It is lovely to read about your life. You write so well about the day to day things that are what makes up our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have to realize how much work you do. When things are written it really shows. Very organized. Kudos to you.. I could never be so organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I am really all that organized. But it DOES look good on paper. Thank you Kathy!

      Delete
  7. That post was chock-full of wisdom, fun, and interesting information! Thanks for the peek into your life. I especially loved the 2 a.m. Christmas story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dame. I do this post every Monday! It helps keep track of my life!!

      Delete
  8. I loved seeing the lights when I was growing up. Of course, just a string of colored lights was exciting. No cooking for me tonight either. I had a sandwich and was happy. There's a lot of rich food around I'm trying to eat simply when I'm home. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't started in, yet, with all the rich food. But I am looking forward to it!!

      Delete
  9. I love that graphic as well and what a wonderful tradition with the Christmas light tour. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Wendy! I am thinking of you often!!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!