Thursday, December 3, 2015

Friday Letters

Friday Letters are here again! Hope this finds all my friends well and ready for a good, happy weekend.

Dear City of Hutchinson:

I cannot believe you are not going to help your citizens with limb removal caused by the huge ice storm. We pay the highest taxes in the state and there is never a benefit for the taxpayer. It was big of you to provide 3 pick-up places for us, but what are people on fixed incomes (and not own a pick-up or a trailer) to do? I guess that isn't your worry, is it?


Dear Electric Company Tree Trimmers:

Thanks for the trim! Not!! You came and marked the trees late in the summer, but  didn't come back until after the ice storm
(and the days without power) and then you just trimmed one side of the cypress tree and left all the trimmings on the ground. You left deep ruts in the yard with your lift and now you are gone. Thanks a lot. Not!!




Dear Tree Trimmer hired by neighbor:


Thank you for trying to help me yesterday morning when you came to tell me water was
not my house!
gushing from the outdoor spigot on the side of my house. Yep, it was a frozen water pipe. Thank you for turning off the water to the house for me. I know how to do that but it's not an easy job for an old woman with bad knees. And thank you for cleaning up the mess in my yard left by the power people's tree trimmers. That was very nice of you!


Dear Neighbor:

Thank you for paying the tree trimmer to cut up the large branches of your trees that fell broken into my backyard. I understand, according to the law, you didn't have to do that. They fell in my yard. The laws calls that my responsibility. But you are a good, kind upstanding man. I appreciate that you did it for me.

Dear Plumber:

Thank you for coming. I wish you had better news for me. But, hey, it's not your fault that you will have to tear a huge hole in the side of my house to fix the outdoor water spigot. I am just happy that you could cap it off and turn my water back on. We'll worry about it all in the spring.

I don't want to sound like a "Debbie-downer" but that is the kind of week I have had! Don't you just love being a homeowner? I don't know if I do!! Have a nice weekend everyone!!

18 comments:

  1. sorry you have had a bad week, hope it gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Paula .. I do hope things improve and you don't have to worry about quite so much. All the very best for the weekend - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, I think it is all just part of life!

      Delete
  3. Can anything be covered by home owner's insurance? I know there are definitely pros and cons about home ownership and when the repairs come that is definitely the con. On the good side, that was a nice neighbor. Maybe a plate of Christmas cookies to them?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately nothing is covered by my insurance. Too high of a deductible. And yes that neighbor will be on my "good" list for a plate of treats!!

      Delete
  4. Yikes, what a nightmare! Sorry that all happened. I hope it's all taken care of now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleaning up all the tree limbs in this town will take months. I will deal with the water spigot issue next spring!

      Delete
  5. Oh wow. THIS makes my little work woes seem awfully insignificant.
    That's pretty sad how the city and utility company - even the forklift driver - are so callous, especially in this (so-called) season of goodwill towards men. Hmpf!

    But that's way neat about your neighbor and 'his' tree trimmer stepping up. I keep telling myself to focus on the good, but sometimes it's a chore. Nope. In my opinion, home ownership isn't all it's cracked up to be!

    PS - Sorry for any misunderstanding; we don't have a Shark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to focus on the good too! Not always easy to do when it is the bad that keeps slamming into you!

      Delete
  6. Well luckily for you, you are a homeowner with wonderful neighbors. I think a call to your electric company is in order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure calling them will do no good. So I'll just move on!

      Delete
  7. I liked being a homeowner better when Officer Friendly was still alive. He rolled with this kind of thing better than I do. An when you live in an apartment, you just call the super. I totally get the fixed income. I'm still working, but it's one income and still limited and limiting. Kinda foes back to your adult Christmas wish list, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly how I feel Gram. Richard was the "take charge and get things fixed" kind of guy around here too. And I happily let him!

      Delete
  8. I am so glad the water issue was caught and that it can wait until spring. There is always something when you own your own home, isn't there? Wow, I cannot believe that you are not receiving much help with the downed limbs and the tree damage, and the mess that was left in your yard when they did come! Sheesh!! I hope you are able to get help with this and that the "powers that be" in your town come to their senses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The city is not being very kind to us during this ordeal. Costs them too much money, I guess.

      Delete
  9. Tree and water problems at the same time are the worst. I feel your pain. I have had tree trimmers here from the City the last 2 days. ughghg...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!