Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge


Time to answer the Hodgepodge prompts from Joyce's From This Side of the Pond. Won't you join us?





 1. Besides Thanksgiving, something you're looking forward to on your November calendar?


I don't really have ANYTHING on my calendar in November! Everyday is just more of the same. Thanksgiving at our house isn't even what it used to be. This was always a big holiday for us. Richard loved entertaining and having all the family here. But a few years back everyone started having their own celebrations and we just stopped with the big family day. This year, I imagine, will just be Justin, Paige, Darian, Harley and me here for Thanksgiving. Which is okay! We will still have the big spread. Maybe, I'll buy a smaller turkey. But, I bet not!


 2.  If I gave you a thank you card right now who would you send it to and why?


I would send it to Heather, our adopted daughter, to thank her for doing Darian's senior pictures free of charge.


 3. Of the breads listed, which one's your favorite...bagel, cinnamon, sourdough, garlic, banana, biscuit, pita, Naan, or plain old fashioned white bread?


Now this is hard. I like bread. She left out cornbread! But picking from the ones that Joyce listed I would have to say my favorite is bagels! With cream cheese. What is your favorite?


 4. What's something you have in abundance? Is that a good thing?


I have an abundance of dolls and miniature construction equipment and trains. We collected these. I don't have an interest in collecting any longer but the collections remain. I haven't decided what to do with them. I need to decide that. I'll put in on my 2016 list of goals.


 5. November 5th is National Love Your Red Hair Day. Are there any redheads in your family? Who's your favorite redhead?


The 'redhead' in our family was Richard. He had that carrot-colored ginger hair as a lad. When I met him it was mostly a darker red with a lot of grey. Then it turned a snowy white. I didn't really know him as a 'red-head' but he would be my favorite. Also, my friend Ellie is a ginger and I love her too!!


 6.  The travel website
Busbud recently calculated the most Instagrammed spot in every state. Go here to see what made the list where you live. Are you happy with your state's #1? If not what do you think should be the most photographed spot in your state? Have you snapped a photo there? If you live outside the USA answer as it relates to your state, city or province.

This is the image Instagram shows as the most "Instagramed" spot in Kansas. It is a building at Kansas State University. I have never seen this building. Even though my son attended this college here for a couple of years before he transferred and graduated from the University of Kansas (two separate colleges). No, I would never chose this as my #1 spot. This is what I would chose:






Kansas Wheatfield



Piper, Willow, Tucker, Meadow







A beautiful wheat field. This is what Kansas is really known for. And I would imagine these fields have been photographed time and time again. In fact I have a picture of my other 4 grandchildren taken in a wheat field. Their daddy works in the offices of that grain elevator in the background. 


 7. I'm going to try to have something related to gratitude in this spot each week during the month of November. Here's this week's question-

What's something you've learned about yourself this year that you're grateful for?


As so many of you know I lost my beloved husband in July 2014. This past year was the toughest year of my life. But I have learned that I am much stronger than I ever thought before. I have had to be. I am once again a single parent to two teenagers (grandchildren) and it takes a mighty strength to do that all alone......I remain grateful and filled with gratitude for the 36 years Richard and I had together.


 8. Insert your own random thought here.


All over the TV and the internet today has been Jimmy Kimmel and his Halloween videos of parents telling their very young children they ate all of their Halloween candy. I don't know whether to find it funny (and it really is) or to be mad at parents for doing this to their kids. Have you seen any of the clips. What do you think?


Please scroll down for my BlogBlast For Peace Post. (Say that five times fast) LOL




14 comments:

  1. We did watch the clips last night. I'm with you, they're funny but I don't think it's very nice. Besides that, are the kiddos ever going to believe their parents again? Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief, Ohio is the Cincinnati Zoo. I can think of many things to be proud of that is not a place where animals are kept in captivity!
    I like thick, heavy bread--oats and bran, for instance. All those mentioned are basically milled white flour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love zoos though! Where else could we see such animals. But, then, I also like white flour. Sorry! Happy you visited.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you on the Instagram images. 'Not that I've spent a lot of time in Kansas, but that's the exactly the kind of thing that comes to mind. (Precious, precious pix of your 'other' grands!)

    Jimmy Kimmel's clips were sort of cute the first time I watched; now, not so much. Call me an old foggie, but (I don't think) that sends a positive message to your kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I thought as well Myra. Last year it was hilarious. This year for the most part they just seemed mean. Thank you from the 'other' grands!!

      Delete
  4. bagels are good, I like pumpkin spice bagels, with pumpkin spice cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had some pumpkin spice bagels last week. But I used plain cream cheese!

      Delete
  5. For breads, I think I'll go with garlic.

    Tomorrow is redhead day? I'll have to let my brother know. He's strawberry blond. I used to have bright auburn hair, but it's darkened since I was a kid. My SIL wanted ginger kids, but ended up with blondes. Except for the twins...

    Top Instagrammed spot in CA... Disneyland. Can't say I'm shocked. I still remember going one August on Goth Day (not an official Goth Day, but every other family was all in black goth stuff--in the middle of August!), and trying to get pics of every goth family there. Good times...

    I did not hear about the Jimmy Kimmel videos. Not sure if I want to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The videos were really funny for the most part. But some of them just seemed cruel. Disneyland! Yes, I can see where that would be the chosen one for California. I was at Disneyland with my two boys (and the ex-husband) in 1977.

      Delete
  6. I have to agree, I don't think I would enjoy watching those Jimmy Kimmel videos; some fun is good, but not that type of teasing. I saw Arizona's most instagram was the Grand Canyon; that does not surprise me :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree that Arizona would be the Grand Canyon. Somewhere I have all the pictures we took there when Richard and I went with friends years ago. I need to find where they are. Good memories!!

      Delete
  7. I lost patience waiting for the most photo'd photos to load so I have no idea what Michigan's was. I love the wheat field with those gorgeous grandkids though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Sorry about the slow loading. Thank you so much!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!