Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge-November 11th Edition

Here we are welcoming another Wednesday to our lives. Joyce at From This Side of the Pond gives us the prompts and we supply the answers. Join us this week, won't you? And visit some of the wonderful others who link with this great idea! (I'll put up my link as soon as she posts today)




1. In two or three sentences tell us what Veteran's Day means to you?

Veteran's Day is a day for us to give thanks to those who served our country and have kept us free. On this day I remember my brothers, my cousins, and my husband. They have all served our country. And soon my grandson will join them! I give thanks to all of these people and all the others in the world who have served. And I pray for peace!
Our flag flies 24/7 but today we will look at it in that special way. With my hand over my heart!




 2. What's your favorite film with a patriotic theme woven into the storyline?


As everyone knows I am not a big 'watcher' of movies but this past summer I watched both of these with the kids and they both were great movies that have a very patriotic theme. Have you seen them? What is your favorite patriotic movie?



 




 3. Flu shot-yes or no? If you answered no, do you plan to get a flu shot? If not, why not? Have you ever had the flu?


No, I haven't gotten a flu shot and no, I don't plan to get a flu shot. I have never had the flu!


 4. I've seen lots of people posting pictures of their Christmas trees up and decorated. Many stores have had Christmas on display since well before Halloween. Red cups are back at 
Starbucks, sans the holiday decor, and that has some people up in arms. What are your thoughts on all the holiday ruckus this second week of November?
 
 
I don't like that Thanksgiving is becoming the 'forgotten' holiday. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I don't like seeing Christmas being exploited before we can even celebrate Halloween. When I walked into my grocery store on November 1 and was assaulted with the visions of Christmas I was disgusted. I won't put up my tree or other Christmas decorations until Thanksgiving is over. Christmas is so commercialized and I refuse to participate. Christmas at my house is simple and we have not forgotten the reason for the season.

 5. What 'critter' are you most afraid of encountering unexpectedly? Why that one?


Most all know that I am terrified of the simple little house mouse! And I don't even want to talk about it.
 


 6. Do you like building things? What's the last thing you 'built'?

Our Christmas Bucket List

The only thing I have built lately is the beginning of my Christmas Bucket List....


 


 7. In keeping with this month's theme of gratitude...what are you most grateful for that brings beauty to your daily life?


  
I am most grateful for the simple beauty that is outside my window. I love the changing colors of the trees in the fall. I love the beauty that bursts forward in the spring. And I even love the beauty of winter when the snow covers the ground and the frost is on the windows. I am thankful for the beauty of Mother Nature!!

 8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Do you do anything special to prepare for winter? I have added coolant to the car and another quart of oil. That will have to tide me over until I can afford to repair the leak it has. You know when you put more than 100,000 miles on a lady she tends to leak! My furnace is ready to go. And the filter is changed. I need to get some weather stripping around the front and back doors. And I haven't yet drained the garden hose. So there are a couple of chores for the weekend warrior that visits me. I don't switch out wardrobes. Do you? I have been known to wear shorts in the winter. A lot! But I do make sure there are hats and gloves ready to go for the kids. And I am beginning to prepare a pantry list so that we won't starve should we get snowed in. That's what I have been randomly thinking about.......

 

22 comments:

  1. Hi Paula - it's is good to remember the veterans and all who serve their country. I'm glad you're thinking about Christmas - it's so warm here - but I hate it when the shops get ahead of themselves ... Good luck with that hose! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't put too much thought into Christmas yet. But the shops are sure shoving it down our throats!!

      Delete
  2. My granddaughters drew a flag and Thank You on the kitchen blackboard this morning, for Uncle Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Paula, that Thanksgiving is the forgotten holiday. I don't like seeing the stores decorated so early for Christmas. Our neighbor across the street even put up his decorations over the weekend. Way too early!

    I am glad we have a day to honor Veterans. I heard there is a parade here in their honor later this morning. I have to work, but it would be neat to go to it.

    I haven't gotten a flu shot in a few years; don't think I'll get one this year. I have such limited contact out and about that I've been spared catching the flu, hopefully the same will hold true this year :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that as a nurse I should advocate for flu shots, but I don't. I have been fortunate to never get it. Even when I took care of a wing of flu at the hospital!!

      Delete
  4. I cant imagine planning for snow. I wish Texas got more snow instead of the stupid ice storms we get every year.
    I also refuse to put up Christmas until Thanksgiving weekend. Confession: I still don't have all my Halloween decorations down. I've got to get busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Halloween stuff is still out too, Holli! But hopefully today I will get it taken care of. Praying for no ice in Texas this year!!

      Delete
  5. Hi Paula! Thanks for visiting my Hodgepodge today! Nice to meet you. We answered #2 the same and several others nearly the same way. I explored your tabs and read more about you. Please accept my cyber hug for sharing so much with us. My 'baby' sister is the caregiver for her husband (stroke) and she is having a rough time after being nearly housebound for almost a year. I will tell her about your journey to remind her she isn't alone. Thanks again for your visit today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Terri! It is the hardest thing in the world to be the caregiver for your husband. I am sending her my prayers and my hugs!! Thanks for your visit!

      Delete
  6. Dang, dang, dang ... my comment just disappeared!

    Actually, I was LMAO about the 'leaky' ladies who've accumulated 100,000+ miles! (yup.)
    On a serious note, I applaud your stand on the greedy merchants' attempts to shove Christmas down our throats before Thanksgiving.

    You've never had the flu? Seriously?!? I've been procrastinating having mine done this year; something keeps niggling at my brain that a shingles vaccine is more important. Maybe.

    I've never seen The Patriot, but Saving Private Ryan is a favorite. I still cry like a baby every time I watch, and that's been like half a dozen times at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when you write a long comment and poof it is gone!! Glad I could make you laugh though. Nope, never had the flu!! Knock wood! And I've never taken a flu shot! The Patriot was a super-good movie!!

      Delete
  7. My top favorite patriotc movie is Memorial Day, starring James Cromwell and his son John Cromwell. It was filmed here in Minnesota annd it is AWESOME, I didn't used to get flu shots until I spent 18 months in weekly pulmonary critical care appointments. What will be on your pantry list for winter storms? I'm stocking up too, a little. Got batteries for flashlights today because of the storms passing through here today. The power blipped out twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Batteries is good for the pantry list. Lots of canned food is on my list. Canned milk too! And anything I can cook outside on the grill in case we lose power since we are almost all electric. I have a gas furnace and a gas hot water heater and that is it. But the furnace has an electric blower so it doesn't work if the power is out. And the fireplace is the home to the fish aquarium now. We will just hunker down and stay close for body heat. LOL! We've only had to do that once in my lifetime.

      Delete
  8. I have seen both those movies.

    Ah, Season. Yep, Season has begun. (That's what we called it in the toy store.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my favorite season either, I must say!

      Delete
  9. I haven't started preparing for winter-so far out temps have been in the 70's highly unusual this time of year but I will take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours was in the 70's yesterday and today in the 40's with powerful north winds!!

      Delete
  10. I have never had the flu nor a flu shot either Paula, knock on wood.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!