Monday, November 16, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook-November 16th Edition

 
For Today... 

This is for Monday, November 16, 2015.


Outside my window...

Outside my window there isn't a blue sky. The sun isn't shining. It's not really cold yet. Today is 54* There is a bit of a breeze and a mist hanging in the air. Just the kind of day that makes you want to stay in bed with the covers pulled up to your chin. I have to have all the lights on inside the house as it is so dreary!!


I am thinking...

I am thinking about Paris. And wondering about the world we live in now. Is it worse than it ever has been? Or does 24/7 media just make it seem worse. I wonder what the world will be like for my grandchildren when they are raising kids of their own. It is scary, isn't it??
 
 
 


 
 
 
I am thankful...

I am thankful that my home is peaceful right now. I cannot imagine the horrors of the world. And I am thankful for being able to be free in this country!


I am listening to....

The Chew is on in the background. I hear both the dishwasher and the washing machine running. My neighbor to the north is moving and I can hear the men working in the backyard. It's sad to see them go. But they are past their retirement age and their kids live in another town. So they are moving to be closer to them. They have been good neighbors for the past 10-12 years! Good bye Sonny and Nancy. You will be missed!


I am creating...

My December spread
I just started working on the December pages in my Happy Planner. And I made a new banner for the fireplace for Thanksgiving.
The mantle for Thanksgiving


I am going...

I did it!! I'm not going to talk about it anymore. On Friday the Marine Recruiter came to our house and I signed the papers for Darian to enlist. It is REALLY, REALLY what he wants and if he signs now he can get his name on the list for the jobs he might want. The job lists come out in October and would be full by January when he turns 18. So I signed. It was bittersweet to do it on the same day that ISIS attacked Paris!




I am reading...

I am reading A Time To Love by Barbara Cameron. It is a book about the Amish. After the deep reading of A Thousand Splendid Suns I needed a good little love story. Hope this one fills the bill. It was a Freebie from Barnes and Nobel. See my review on A Thousand Splendid Suns here, if you missed it.
 


 


I am learning...

This week I am learning John 15:6

"If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers,
and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned."


In my backyard...

I have been seeing cardinals in my backyard. Have you heard this before:
"A cardinal is a representative of a loved one who has passed. When you see one, it means they are visiting you. They usually show up when you most need them or miss them. They also make an appearance during times of celebration as well as despair to let you know they will always be with you. Look for them, they'll appear. "



 



 
In my kitchen...



Monday...Pork Ribs in the crockpot(They are cooking now and the house smells wonderful)

Tuesday...Crockpot Lasagna

Wednesday...Kids will eat at church

Thursday...Crockpot Mac & Cheese

Friday...Slow Cooker Beef Stew

Saturday...Tater Tot Casserole

Sunday...Make your own Quesidillas

Looks like I will be using my slow cooker a lot this week. I like that. I get up in the morning....make the coffee and then put dinner on. Easy peasy!
 
 




A favorite quote for today...

 













A peek into my week....

Harley has started basketball practices as of today. For the next two weeks she will have three mornings a week she has to be at school at 6 a.m. as well as after school until 6 p.m. Yikes!! Then after Christmas break is over the practices will just be after school. So I am getting the old taxi cab ready for many back and forths between here and school. Thankfully there is an activity bus that will bring her very close to home in the evenings. On Tuesday we will pick up Darian's new glasses. Church youth group on Wednesday. Marine PT on Thursday. Darian has a debate tourney on Saturday!!











One of my favorite things...

It is always fun to pick up my phone and find that someone has been taking silly pictures. Makes me smile!!


 











What I am coloring....






 
 
Here is wishing everyone a great week. Let's Go to Peggy's The Simple Woman's Blog and see what all our friends have been up to!!


 






****************************



22 comments:

  1. Hi Paula (great name BTW)! Thanks for stopping by my blog. We've actually warmed up to almost 60F. Nearly unheard of for north eastern Ontario. Your menu this week sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to meet you Paula!! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. LOL with the pictures, does she know you posted them?? That was good to sign the papers for Darian; if it is what he wants to do, wise to give him that opportunity to perhaps get the job he might want within the service. I do believe our world is scarier these days; so much activity happening so close together. We had snow this morning so if it is heading your way with the cold, sorry.......

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she knows that she leaves those pictures for me! She does it pretty often. I always tell her I am going to post them on social media and tag her in them!! We had snow in western Kansas today!! Yikes!!

      Delete
  3. Hee-hee ... love the selfies Harley's left you. What a great sense of humor!

    Ya, I'm sure signing Darian's papers was emotionally rough, particularly with the increased terrorist activity. But who knows, God may have chosen Darian as one to make a difference!

    I've not seen a cardinal in a very long time. Perhaps one day they'll visit in my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does have a great sense of humor!! Gets it from her granny! I hope that Darian will be one to make a difference. It is just so darn scary now.

      Delete
  4. I have never heard that about cardinals. Interesting idea! You had to sign even though he is 18? Didn't know that. Hoe Darian has good luck with the job list. Not sure GN will get in ANG. She has some color-blindness. We'll see. I don't even own a crock pot. I must always be in a hurry. I use my pressure cooker all the time! Your Thanksgiving mantle looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We see lots of cardinals here! Yes, he is only 17 at the moment and I had to sign so he can go to MEPS in Oklahoma for his physical and be enlisted before he turns 18 at the very end of January. I don't know if he has any medical problems that will prevent him from joining. I cannot imagine what I would do without my crockpot. It is cooking lasagna right now and the house smells wonderful!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for clarifying. I don't know what gave me the notion he had turned 18. I wish him all the best.

      Delete
  5. I love Mondays when I am able to catch up with what is going on in your lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish we could do it over a cup of coffee! Or a glass of wine!!

      Delete
  6. If that's what Darian wants, then it was the right thing to do.

    We just got cold here. Chilly winds today. But blue skies...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard that about the cardinals. It is a reassuring to know the trees are full of loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my trees are full of loved ones!!

      Delete
  8. Hi Paula - love your mantle piece ... brilliant idea. I'd never heard about the Cardinals ... those 6.00 am starts for Basketball sound distinctly not fun! Still great Harley's doing it .. have a good week - sounds like you're organised with your crockpot - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary! I try to decorate it every season. And you are right that 6 a.m. is early!!

      Delete
  9. Loved this one, as always. My husband's service in the Marines made him the amazing man he is today...he will tell you that straight up. My ex signed for my daughter to enter the Air Force the fall before she graduated from high school. She's still in, and has just rotated back to the States. We're having lasagna tonight--yum! We had a snowstorm yesterday and last night, now it's blowing 50mph out there. Frigid dog walk tonight, let me tell you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping the Marines will be good for Darian!! I am happy to hear your daughter will be Stateside soon. Hope you get to see her soon.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!