Thursday, November 19, 2015

Just saying....

I usually write letters on Friday. You know that I do! But this week it is just going to be a little update of what is going on with us.

My oldest brother is moving!! He just purchased a home in Louisiana to be closer to his daughter. His son lives in the state of Washington. Do you think they could get any further apart? Chuck has been a frequent visitor at my house over the past three years. His beautiful wife Pam (with the best laugh ever) died in June of 2011. This was just before Richard had his stroke in September. Chuck was here for me during all the recovery, taking care of, and death of Richard. And in the past year we have had coffee twice a week. I'll miss him!! But he will be close to his granddaughter. And it gives me another place to go visit someday!

This is Harley's ring.  Class of 2018
Harley got her class ring this week. It is beautiful. Class rings of today are simply not like the ones from my high school years. When my class of 1969 ordered ours all the girls rings looked the same and all the boys rings looked the same. Now they design their own. And make them personal. And get them when they are sophomores so they can wear them all during the remainder of their high school years. Which is a good thing. Since they are not cheap! Harley's has two amethyst (her birthstone) a Christian cross on one side (to represent her love of her church) and of course a basketball. There are no two rings that are alike! Just like snowflakes.

Speaking of snowflakes, hope we don't get any of that soon. I am seeing forecasts for snow all over the USA coming up. The big news here, at my house, happened at 1:30 a.m. Thursday morning. I was once again awakened by an earthquake. 4.7 magnitude. What the heck?? My bed was shaking and the lamp on the desk was wobbling all over the place. And Darian and Harley slept soundly through it! You can read all about it here.

Remember sometime ago when I talked about cleaning my carpets? Well that is what I have been working on. A couple of more rooms tomorrow (Friday) and then I will stop until after Thanksgiving. I am hoping to get the Christmas tree up on Saturday. With Justin's help. And the girls can decorate it. I just cannot believe it is already Christmas.

Hoping everyone will have a good weekend!!

26 comments:

  1. Sorry your brother is moving, but it seems good if he'll be closer to a grandchild. You are right, rings have changed so much; but I do like the creativity that can be done these days with them. They certainly indeed are more expensive than "in the good old days." I too can't believe it is Christmas; I think I'm living in the state of denial, but that's something I seem to have done with Christmas for the past at least 9 years :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be better for him. He's not getting any younger and if he needs help his daughter will be there. I sure don't want to take care of him (LOL)! I always live in a state of denial when it comes to Christmas. It is not, and never has been, one of my favorite holidays!

      Delete
  2. Hi Paula - you'll miss your brother, but his decision to be near his grand-daughter makes sense and as you say a place to visit. Gosh you've been busy .. good for you. Love Harley's ring ... fascinating her design skills! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary. She is very happy with it!

      Delete
  3. It's hard to be away from those we love. I don't like that my son is in Texas, but i have three first cousins who moved to Europe many moons ago and I know it is much harder on their parents than what I deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard when you have no family close! My youngest son is only about 50 miles away. My oldest lives here in the same town. But I haven't seen him in over a year! I have two other brothers and a sister that lives within 50 miles and we rarely see each other.

      Delete
    2. I have no family close to me at all. And it gets so hard! Especially at the holidays... My sister's son just moved to Texas - and she is having a difficult time with it. He was always popping by her house!

      Linda in VA

      Delete
    3. I can see both the pros and the cons to this Linda!

      Delete
  4. Wow, I LOVE those class rings. My high school ring from 1965 is ugly. They all looked pretty much the same back then - with only one little area to do something different. They were expensive then as well. I think they have a captive audience and can almost ask what they want.

    Sorry your brother is moving away. My close family lives close with the farthest only an hour away. My very close cousins live about 3 hours away. I know how lucky I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they were expensive compared to the cost of living back then. I think the class ring from 1969 was like $89 but that was too expensive for my family. I didn't get one. These are closer to $300-400. Way too expensive

      Delete
  5. My brother moved away, years ago. It took some getting used to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so taken with Harley's ring! That's pretty neat about them getting their rings in 10th grade, so they can enjoy them throughout high school.

    Chuck can't move!!! (jk) Well, of course, you're happy for him and for your niece ... but wow, won't that leave a void in your life! Like you said, he was right there during some of your pivotal times. Change is a B****.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will certainly make things different. But I'll recover!! Yes, it will be much better for him! He will be the first in our family (Of siblings) to move out of the state!

      Delete
  7. The ring is beautiful. I took a break from Friday Letters too. I put up Facebook Fridays. It seems I can load easier from the phone that way. Ive been so busy. With the world cracking as it is, I have no engery but to photograph and live through that for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I understand. I can't wait to see what Facebook Friday is all about!!

      Delete
  8. Wow! That class ring certainly is beautiful! They have come a long way since my high school days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It will be something she can wear for long after high school and won't look like a class ring

      Delete
  9. They get their class rings as sophomores? At the schools I sub at, they don't get to order them until they're seniors. Interesting.

    Oooh, earthquake. Sorry it startled you. They make for good stories, though. (So long as there was no damage and were no injuries.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they order at the beginning of their sophomore year and get them before Christmas. I am glad they don't wait until they are Seniors. Darian wouldn't have hardly worn it if he had waited until his senior year! Yes those earthquakes can make for some stories!!

      Delete
  10. Well given a little time to get settled we'll be like "tom bodett we ll leave the light on for you". Hope to get a queen size for the bedroom # 2 for guess. Don't know how many more years I can drive long distant, but I might pop in for coffee by surprise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I just might take you up on that offer!

      Delete
  11. We are decorating next weekend. It is early for us but our first Christmas party that we are hosting is on December 5th. I love Harley's ring.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!