Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving Hodgepodge

The Day before Thanksgiving!! That is crazy. This year has flown by and we are looking to another in the very near future. How on earth are we going to slow down time?? For now lets join Joyce From This Side of the Pond and see what prompts she has for us to answer today. 



 1.What's something you wish you knew how to do, but feel like it's too late to learn?

I don't know if it is too late to learn how to ice skate, but I am not going to take any chances with any broken bones at my age. So I will not learn how. But this has been a dream of mine for many years. I used to tell my boys that if I believed in re-incarnation then I wanted to return as an Olympic figure skater. I love watching. So delicate. Yet so strong!



 2. Your least favorite thing to shop for? Why?

I strongly (okay, hate) dislike shopping for clothes for myself. I hate undressing in those tiny little stalls and looking at myself in those awful mirrors with all that awful lighting. So for years I have shopped online. Nothing fits right! And it never looks as good on me as it does on the model who is wearing it. Something I have never understood is why they show "plus size" clothing on a non-plus size model. And speaking of plus size, can you believe that the clothing industry considers plus size to be anything size 8 and above? That is so ridiculous! I looked up the term plus size and this is what I found:


"plus-size
adjective
(of clothing or people) of a size larger than the normal range.
"a new line of plus-size bathing suits"."
 
Have you ever looked around while you are out and about? The normal range of women these days are much larger than a size 8. No wonder so many people have body image issues.



 3. How has the celebration of Thanksgiving today changed from when you were growing up?

I have been pondering this question for quite awhile. I don't know if I am unusual (well, I know that I am) but I cannot remember much about my childhood prior to around the 7th grade. The Thanksgivings that I most remember are after all of my siblings and myself left home. We would take turns hosting the family for the big meal. Usually at noon-time on Thanksgiving day. Today, there are much fewer people at the table. But that is about the only difference. I still fix all the same things. I don't remember a single holiday meal at my grandmother's house. Nothing! Nada!


 4. What's something that when other people see it, reminds them of you? Explain.

All those who know me REALLY well, know that the alstroemeria is my favorite flower. My good friend, Rozann, sent me a text this past summer, while visiting with her son in Kansas City. She said she thought of me when she passed a clump of these in front of his apartment building. I love buying these in the grocery store and arranging them on my table. They will last for up to two weeks. And they come in a variety of colors. The above color is my favorite. I'll be waiting for them to arrive at my door!! Hint! Hint!


5. If you could guest star in a TV show, what would it be and why?

There isn't any way that I would want to appear in a TV show.


 6. Have you ever farmed or spent any time on a farm? Are there farm stands in your little corner of the world and do you make it a point to shop there? If so, what item do you particularly like to buy from a roadside stand or farm shop?


No, I have never farmed or lived on a farm. And I have never wanted to. I stayed with my aunt a couple of times ,as a child, and I didn't find it all that fascinating. I guess I am just a town child. We have a Farmer's Market here. It is open once a week. You have to get up early to get the good stuff. I don't get up early. Not for tomatoes or cucumbers anyway! When we used to make the yearly trips to Colorado we always stopped in Rocky Ford, Colorado and bought fresh Rocky Ford cantaloupes at the roadside stands.  


 7. What's something you've experienced recently that made you feel a sense of awe or wonder?


Night before last I walked out my front door and stood on the sidewalk. It was after midnight. I gazed into the sky and stood in awe of what a beautiful universe we live on. The sparkle and shine of a billion plus stars and an almost full moon makes me feel small in a universe that is so large.


 8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Wishing a Happy Thanksgiving to all. Don't forget to be thankful for all that we have. Freedom! Freedom to speak as we want, to read what we want, to worship how we want, to live how we chose! Freedom is what I am thankful for this year!

22 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping over! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. I agree, I wouldn't want to start skating now but I did enjoy it as a child who grew up in Illinois. Of course we agree on shopping for clothes. I never understood that either about the regular sized models they use for modeling. I have few memories from my childhood too but I seem to remember the family gathering for all holidays. I don't think I have heard about those cantaloupes but truthfully I have never paid attention to the name of a cantaloupe. The moon has been amazing this week. Tonight it should be full!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, I don't like that we can't have lights on here at night due to homeowner association rules, but when I am outside at night and see all the stars, its almost worth it; so pretty in the sky indeed! I used to like when we took Koda on nightly walks when it was dark and enjoying the night sky too.

    I am absolutely amazed we are at Thanksgiving this year already. It did indeed fly!

    So true to be thankful for freedom; it is something we do take for granted, but something others in other countries so desperately want.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No lights at all! That's crazy! But, yes it does make the stars seem brighter. I imagine that Koda loved those nightly walks. Happy Thanksgiving Betty

      Delete
  3. Thanksgiving was an all day, family affair in my childhood, no matter which relative from either side of the family hosted. It's how I learned about birdshot in pheasant at one cousin's house and trinity rolls at another. My grandmother ofter stayed over at our house and on Friday we picked all day and discussed all the fools out looking for "day after Thanksgiving" bargains. It wasn't called Black Friday, yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I forgot all about the pheasant on Thanksgiving. But that wasn't when I was a kid! And I wouldn't go out on black Friday if I was paid to do so!

      Delete
  4. I went out the other night to watch the aurora borealis. I wish I could take photos of them, they were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The question about Thanksgiving tradition changes reminded me of all my childhood Thanksgivings. And the Fridays after which I would spend on the floor in front of the toilet. Yep, I used to get sick right after Thanksgiving every year for years. Not sure why. Thank goodness that ridiculousness has stopped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Liz, that would be terrible! I am glad you have outgrown that! Happy Thanksgiving

      Delete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving Paula, I hope you have a wonderful relaxing day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! I hope the same for you today!

      Delete
  7. I love your comment about the Plus-Size: It absolutely blows my mind that plus size is anything above a Size 8. What?? That's insane. Do they not realize that Marilyn Monroe was a size 14?? And you're so right about the reason so many of us have body image issues. And touche about plus size clothing being modeled on skinny women! But I do think times have changed a bit. Slowly but it's happening. You are starting to see more average size women and men in TV commercials, even plus-size. Have you noticed that? It's about time!

    Happy Thanksgiving to you Paula. Hope you have a wonderful time with your family and friends. All the best,
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noticed Michele. Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  8. HI Paula - a hodge podge on life ... the good and the bad - and we can avoid the bad if we try ... enjoy Thanksgiving and the time with your family ... I love Pheasant ... and will probably get some as presents ... easy to keep in the freezer, til the family require theirs. I bought a pretty Christmas card to announce said birds were freezing gently til they were needed! Have a lovely day tomorrow and a peaceful one today .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good that we can avoid the bad. Mostly! A pheasant for Christmas. What a wonderful gift!!

      Delete
  9. Ditto and amen(!) to your comment about shopping for clothes! Truly, I was stunned at the garment industry's definition of 'plus size.' (A pox on their house!)

    Maybe someday, an enterprising soul will craft dressing areas with different lighting options, depending on the look you want to achieve .... like me, best shown in candlelight, at 50 yards. (lol)

    Sorry to be late for your post. I've been having computer issues and arguing with tech-support who I suspect may be Jihadi John's brother in law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My computer is having issues too, Myra. I think I need a new modem and I've just been too lazy to go pick one up. It is making me crazy, it is so slow!!

      Delete
  10. Oh boy!! Re:#1: I spent all my free time at the outdoor rink when I was a kid. Mom came along til we were old enough to go alone. It was the place to be in Smalltownville. Round and round and round the rink! I taught GN to dkate the first einter sfter her mom died. Skating helped her find something to smile about. Now my skates hang on the wall in my bedroom as a great memory. I have never seen an alstroemeria that I know of. Is it the scent you like, or the blossoms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I would have loved to ice skated as a child. No scent to the flowers. I just love the blossoms.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!