Thursday, November 5, 2015

A Man Called Ove

Overview

In this bestselling and “charming debut” (People) from one of Sweden’s most successful authors, a grumpy yet loveable man finds his solitary world turned on its head when a boisterous young family moves in next door.Meet Ove. He’s a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbor from hell.” But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn’t walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations.A feel-good story in the spirit of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, Fredrik Backman’s novel about the angry old man next door is a thoughtful exploration of the profound impact one life has on countless others. “If there was an award for ‘Most Charming Book of the Year,’ this first novel by a Swedish blogger-turned-overnight-sensation would win hands down” (Booklist, starred review).


I finished this book last night. And cried. Many times during the past couple weeks, as I read this book, I laughed out loud, I smiled, I cried, and I missed Richard with an intensity that I found surprising. No, Richard wasn't like Ove. Well not exactly like Ove. But there was so much about Ove that reminded me of Richard . I was sad. Richard had staunch principles and strict routines. But he wasn't grouchy, nor did he have a short fuse. But, like Ove, he would have put anything off to help another person in any way that he could. And I can't help but feel that if I had died before him he would have been trying to find a way to join me as soon as he could. He loved me that much. I am not bragging! I just know how much he loved me.

I loved this book!! I am giving it 5 stars*****. That is the most I ever give a book. It is very charming. The characters are well developed. The plot is excellent. And I fell madly in love with Ove. And I cried my eyes out when the book ended.

25 comments:

  1. It sounds like a touching novel. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think of it Jennifer!

      Delete
  2. This sounds really good Paula! I'll definitely have to check it out.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just gone onto my local library website and put in a request. I'm # 30 in line, so it must be popular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how the book sounded, so I looked in the 3M Cloud Library app and put it on hold. It will be available for my turn to download in 70 days. Works for me, That should make it available after the holidays and I have enough to read til then. Peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to check out this 3M Cloud Library. How long do you get to check the book out for?? I usually don't read fast enough for many of those types of libraries.

      Delete
    2. 21 days. I don't read fast enough either, but some of yhe stuff I read is not in high demand so I can just download it again. I love that I can go to my library from my couch, in my jammies, in the midfle of the night or a sniw storm! It's easy.
      1) First, you need a library card
      2) Download the 3M Cloud Library app
      3) Open the app and follow the directions to find your library and then you type in the code from your library card once.
      Browse the virtual stacks or search for something specific.
      If you need help, you can go to your local library and so,eone there will be able to help you.

      Delete
    3. Oops! I forgot to add this part: If all else fails, I do the math. If a book is 300 pages and I get it for 21 days, it means my target reading is 14.2 pages per day. Knowing that number keeps me on track so I can read more on one day if I'm pressed for time on another.

      Delete
    4. And . . your public library is in the Cloud system. I just checked!!! GN has the app, so your kiddos might like it too. There's an idea for a fun Friday family night . . . a geoup download! I'm done bugging you now.

      Delete
    5. I have downloaded the app. Now I just need to put in my info and go browsing. Thank you so much for letting me in on this. I am surprised that my library does this. It is such a po-dunk town I live in!!

      Delete
    6. Awesome! You are very welcome. Hope you find lots to read. Now . . . let's talk about Book Bub. There are free eBooks available on that site and because they are downloads to iBooks, they don't disappear like they do from the Cloud Library when your loan time expires.
      Here's the link to the freebies pages. Genres are listed. https://www.bookbub.com/ebook-deals/free-ebooks

      Delete
    7. I am having trouble with 3MCloud. I might have to go down to the library and see what is up. It takes my library card number but I don't have a pin number and it won't let me go any further....Yes, I get Book Bub updates everyday in my email! I have gotten a few of the freebies.

      Delete
    8. They will help you with a PIN number. You know, I bet you don't need a PIN for checking out books from the physical library, but we probably got PINs when we used the computers there ages ago. You need to enter a card number and a PIN to use the computers. I get the Book Bub email updates everyday, too, but today I went to the freebie web page and scrolled through the entire bunch!!!

      Delete
  5. No wonder you've been having a rough time of it lately. It's interesting what will remind us of people we have lost. Glad you enjoyed the book, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I was thinking Liz. But it is good to have the memories brought back. Even if it does bring on the sobbing.

      Delete
  6. I'm all for books that make me laugh AND sob.

    That said, I'm definitely asking Santa for an electronic reader, so I don't have to wait on the the library any more. (We're on each others' **** lists right now.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! I've spent time on that list in my life. Not with the Library though. I love my Nook Color. And I am getting ready to learn how to use the 3M Cloud for library books (Thanks Gram)!

      Delete
  7. Well this is going on my to read list for sure with a recommendation like that.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!