Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge

Who doesn't love a Wednesday when it means we get to join Joyce From This Side of the Pond and answer her prompts!!

1. It's October so let's get this out there first thing...have you jumped on the all-things-pumpkin bandwagon? How so?

I have not jumped on the "all-things-pumpkin" bandwagon yet. I have found from past years that if I get my pumpkins too early they won't last until after Thanksgiving. I want my pumpkins to be around until after 
from Wikipedia
Thanksgiving. I don't just decorate for Halloween. I decorate for fall!!



 2.  "We have more power than will; and it is often by way of excuse to ourselves that we fancy things are impossible." Francois Duc De la Rochefoucauld  

What's something you once thought impossible, but in hindsight see as more a matter of lack of will?


I once thought my going back to college when my sons were 4 and 8 years old would be impossible. But it wasn't! It WAS hard, but it would have only been a lack of will had I not succeeded. I put my nose to the grindstone, gave up a bit (okay, a lot) of family time and graduated when the boys were 8 and 12! I am glad I didn't listen to those people who thought I was crazy to be doing that.

But he said, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.” Luke 18




 3. The rose is America's National Flower, but every state also has its own (
click here to see the list). Are you happy with yours? If you were in charge what would you declare your state's flower? If you're outside the U.S. what bloom would you like to see labeled as your country's national flower?

The sunflower is the state flower of Kansas!! Just up the road from my house is a gorgeous field of sunflowers. It is so amazing to drive by them several times a day and see how those giant heads follow the sun! I would not change the state flower for anything else. It suits Kansas!


 4. What have you lost interest in recently?



I am coming off a year of grieving for my husband. I can honestly tell you that over the past year I lost interest in almost everything. I wasn't interested in life in general. Those of you who have grieved the loss of a very close loved one knows exactly what I am talking about. I am finding my way back! I am becoming more interested in life once again!


 5. In your opinion, who's the best living musician?


The best living musician! This is hard to pick just one. So I went to my music on my phone to see whose songs I have downloaded the most. It's a tie between Kenny Rogers and Celine Dion. Kenny's voice is one I would  

recognize anytime, anywhere. I love Lady, Lucille, Don't fall in Love with a Dreamer, Through the Years, Coward of the County, The Gambler......oh, I could go on and on. Richard and I saw Kenny Rogers in concert in the 90's and fell in love with him all over again. A fantastic show!! Even if our tickets were in the nosebleed section. Celine Dion became one of our favorites in the 1990's
too! Her song, "My Heart Will Go On" was Richard's favorite and will always be special to me!   


 6. S'mores-love 'em or no? Ever make them indoors? Last time you sat around an outdoor fire? Are making s'mores and sitting round a fire pit on your autumn bucket list? Do you have an autumn bucket list?


Yes, making s'mores are on my bucket list!

(See it right there at #9)
We, also, have an indoor s'mores kit. There is a little burner we can light and make s'mores any time of the year! We love s'mores in this house!! On my plan for the weekend coming up is building a fire in the firepit and making s'mores. We haven't sat around the pit for a bit!! (If you would like to see my full bucket list you can go here.)

 7. Your favorite small town? Why?


My favorite small town is Yoder, Kansas. It is a tiny, unincorporated town that is about 10 miles from where I live. The population is about 194. This quaint, little, Amish town is a place to shop, eat, and enjoy a quieter kind of life. You will find cars parked right next to horse and buggies. There is a hardware and lumber store on the corner that sells what the old-time stores used to sell: nails in bulk, butter churns and crocks, as well as a large selection of Radio Flyer wagons and toys. Just walking down the Main Street of Yoder is a treat. If you'd like to see more of Yoder you can go to their website here.






 8. Insert your own random thought here.


My oldest granddaughter, Katie, lives in North Carolina. You don't hear me talk too much about the older grandchildren because they haven't been much in our lives in the past years. Katie is the oldest sister to Darian and Harley. They all share the same mother, different fathers. With the recent flooding and storm issues in that part of the country I have stayed in contact with Katie to see how she is doing. She says the rain has almost stopped and there is no flooding in her immediate area. I am so thankful for that. She lives about 30 minutes from Charlotte. She is going to college now to become a nurse!! Let's all remember the East coast( especially South Carolina)as they recover from this massive flooding! Say a little prayer!!

18 comments:

  1. Been praying for the people affected by flooding; glad to hear that Katie is okay. Great profession too with being a nurse (as you already know :) Good for you too Paula that you wisely listened to yourself and went back to school when you did; got a great career out of it and when you weigh those 4 years against the rest of your working days, it probably doesn't seem that bad now :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, looking back it doesn't seem as tough as it was then. But it wasn't easy: working, 2 young kids, full time school!! Wouldn't have traded it for nothing though

      Delete
  2. All the holidays are accelerated any more. Halloween, Christmas. We passed a pumpkin display recently and my granddaughter said "They won't be any good by Halloween!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've heard that we have a shortage around here.....

      Delete
  3. Hi Paula ... the floods sounded very difficult. Enjoy decorating with the Fall colours and products .. cheers HIlary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary! Fall is such a pretty time of year. And fun to decorate with such prettiness!!

      Delete
  4. Once while driving I-70 through Kansas, we got to see your sunflowers following the sun and it was, indeed, an amazing sight!

    I'm so glad you are making it to the other side of the grieving process. I have prayed for you every time I've seen your blog. The Lord is bringing you through because He is faithful.

    Enjoy those S'mores!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara!! Your kind words mean a lot to me!

      Delete
  5. We have a sunflower trail every year here in our area and Hubby and I went a couple years ago. I was amazed by the mass of yellow beauty for acres and acres. I loved getting some close-up photos of those beautiful faces. I do know what it is to lose someone close to you and can only agree with the scripture you quoted. What isn't possible for man is for God and I am so grateful He has proved Himself faithful to you in this healing process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I have found it hard to believe that He is being faithful But I just have to keep forging ahead!! Thank you Elizabeth for visiting!

      Delete
  6. I've never had a s'more! I looooove graham crackers and fire pits, but no, I'm not keen on marshmallow and chocolate.
    Yoder sounds like the sort of place they say time forgot. Like Mayberry, perhaps? I'll have to take a look at that website tonight.

    Great flower choice, Kansas. Who could ever look at those and stay in a bad mood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What??? Not keen on chocolate. Never knew anyone that didn't like chocolate. I hate dark chocolate, but milk chocolate and white chocolate. Oh yum. (can't believe how many times I just typed chocolate)! Not like Mayberry so much. It is an Amish town!

      Delete
  7. I am glad your granddaughter is safe. How nice that she decided to follow in your footsteps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't her first decision, Wendy. First, she spent $100,000 at chef school in Colorado and then decided that cooking was just a hobby, not something she wanted to do for a career. Now on to nursing and to pay off her debt!

      Delete
  8. I've been all about pumpkins--crocheting some, at least. Glad to hear your granddaughter is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz. And I love your crocheted pumpkins...and those spiders too!

      Delete
  9. Good for you for finishing up your degree! I love big fields of sunflowers in bloom. We had one near our home in NJ and it became such a photo op spot the county created a pull off for traffic. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!