Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge-October 13th Edition

Happy Wednesday, friends. Once again I will be joining Joyce, From This Side of the Pond with her Wednesday Hodgepodge.

These are this weeks prompts:

 1. What's something that has recently 'tried your patience'?

I am the single adult in a house with two teenagers! Does that answer the question?



 2. Do you think patience comes to us naturally or is it something you have to learn as you grow? On a scale of 1-10 generally how patient are you? (1=I blow up at the drop of a hat and 10=I've got all the time in the world).


It is possible that patience comes to some naturally! If that is the case, I was left out when patience was passed around. I am not very patient. I don't think I blow up at the drop of a hat. But I am not even close to being in the middle. I would say I am possibly a 3 or 4 on this scale. And just for the record; people who are a 10 would probably just annoy me. So I hope none of you are a perfect 10!!


 3. Share about a time when you felt like you could fly. Or a time you wished you could fly. Or a time you felt like you were flying.



I have a recurring dream, one I have been having for all of my adult life. I might have had this dream when I was younger too, but most of my childhood years are not things I remember. Oh I remember my childhood. Just not details. And dreams, to me, are details. Anyway in this dream I just jump off the ground and start flapping my arms rapidly, and I fly. High above the earth. Nuts, isn't it? And I hate to fly. I am terrified of flying. I take Ativan to help me with the anxieties I have about flying. If I can get there by driving then that is my transportation of choice.


 4. Your favorite song with the word fly in the title or lyrics, or your favorite song that relates to flying in some way?



I knew as I was reading the above words exactly what song I would place here. Richard was the 'wind beneath my wings' all the years I knew him. This song was played at his memorial service. It makes me think of him, with a smile, every single time I hear it. I am so thankful that he let me fly higher than an eagle!!!!!  



"Did you ever know that you're my hero?
You're everything I wish I could be.
I could fly higher than an eagle,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings."


 





 5. What's in your fall picnic basket and where are we picnicking in your neck of the woods this time of year?



I have never been on a fall picnic. What a wonderful idea. I will have to bounce this off the kiddos. Maybe we could do a picnic at the Corn Maze this next weekend. Wouldn't that be a perfect place for a fall picnic. I think I will pack fried chicken, corn on the cob, pasta salad, cupcakes!! Oh, now I am excited to see if they want to do this!


 6.  Carpentry, electrical, plumbing, landscaping...which skill would you most like to possess and how would you put that skill to use today?



When my chosen career, nursing, started to lose some of it's glitter and charm, I always said that if I were to have another career in my life it would be in landscaping. I love planting flowers. I love arranging them in pots. I love pulling weeds even. Digging in the dirt in the early spring has always been one of my favorite things to do. But, alas, I am not going to start another career at this stage of my life. So I guess I'll just dig in my own dirt. Plant my own flowers.


 7. What's something you think is too expensive to justify buying lately?


I had mentioned recently that I have never been to Starbucks. I cannot justify the price of their coffee. Too expensive. Heck, I can make my own at home and be just as satisfied as buying one at Starbucks. I think! I don't really know. Because I have never been. But, for now, it is to expensive to justify!!





 8. Insert your own random thought here.


Today would have been the 41st birthday of my sweet baby Elaine. I first wrote about her on my blog here. I have the cutest little pot of lavender mums that I am taking to the cemetery later today! Happy Heavenly Birthday Baby Girl!


25 comments:

  1. Paula, your answer to #2 just cracked me up! Ya, those 10's would get under my skin as well.

    Ditto what you said about Starbucks. Several of my co-workers frequent them every morning; and yes, they offer to get one for me ... but I refuse to pay those ridiculous prices. Now, yes I am hooked on their French Roast pods, but I buy them on-line at a discount and I'm not tempted to buy something 'exotic.'

    Wind Beneath my Wings is a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know that the 10's would bother you too!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! And where do you put yourself on that scale, bro??

      Delete
  3. You can only give yourself one patience score? Because my patience fluctuates depending on the day. Like today, it started out low as I was drenched in sweat while getting ready for work (at 6:30 AM), but now I've had a couple really easy periods with really sweet kiddos, so my patience level has climbed.

    I used to have flying dreams all the time. Not so much lately, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like that too, Liz. It depends on the situation!

      Delete
  4. No one is perfect, so I am not a patient ten. I'd give my self a solid 9, though. It is possible to reach a point where you don't let the bastards grind you down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will say an extra prayer for you today and sweet Elaine.
    It depends on the situation with my patience. I have zero in traffic. I am a corporate trainer though and I am a 9.5 because I have to be with training them on our systems.
    Wind beneath my wings was also played at my friends service for her husband this past weekend. Its a great song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you didn't give yourself a 10, Hollie!! Ha! Ha! Yes, it is a great song! I listen to it every single day!!

      Delete
  6. Patience is definitely not one of my virtues. I'm horribly impatient. But I find that I have grown much more patient as I've aged. I have zero patience in traffic but I find that I'm much more patient when other drivers piss me off. I don't get all bent out of shape like I used to. I just let them go on their merry way and I figure they're having a bad day. It's so much better for my peace of mind to be more patient. I'm always patient with the dogs.
    That Barbra Streisand song is beautiful. I hadn't heard it before. Glad you posted it.
    I'm sorry for your loss of sweet Elaine. That has to be so hard, even after all these years, I'm sure. Thinking of you today...
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle! It is Bette Midler! She sings it so beautifully. I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Bette Midler. What was I thinking?! Two greats, there!

      Delete
  7. #1: Ditto minus one teen! #4: I guessed your song before I scrolled down. #8: Thanks for adding the link. I read the story. What an AMAZING show of determination to check yourself and go see your baby! That photo is one of the sweetest baby girl angel photos I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad they now deal in a much different way with stillbirth! It is so important for the moms and dads to get to see and touch their babies. To hold them, to photograph them if they want. We did not get any of that! I have had that picture on my computer for years and years!

      Delete
  8. I'm probably an 8 on the patience scale.

    I don't live near a starbucks, but I would go there because I like their fair trade, eco-conscious, pro-employee business model. It's worth paying a bit more knowing my money is supporting causes I believe in. But, like I said, I live 3 hours away from the nearest one, so it's like a major treat to go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling you have a lot of patience. Our Starbucks is less than 2 miles from my house and I have never been. I believe in supporting the causes too! Good for you

      Delete
  9. I want to go on the picnic too....

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would be so fun with the picnic! I hope you guys do it.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty! I hope we do as well. Time will tell :)

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!