Monday, October 26, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook-October 26th Edition

For Today... 
 
Today is Monday, October 26, 2015!! Yes, it is.


Outside my window...
 
Outside my window the skies are grey. The sun is hiding. It is a comfortable 67* with 39% humidity. There is no wind blowing so the leaves are not falling wildly from the trees like they were last week. While I was out yesterday I was enchanted with the beauty of the colors changing. The reds, yellows, and oranges are so gorgeous this time of year. We have had cool temperatures at night (down into the 30's) and was supposed to get a light frost last night. I don't think we did. I have a ficus tree to move inside. I need to get in gear! First, I will wash it down with soapy water and add some fresh potting soil, water it thoroughly, let it drain, and then bring it in. It may spend a few days in the garage. I have had this tree for more than 25 years!!


I am thinking...
 
I am thinking of all the things I need to do to get ready for winter. You know like: turning off the outside water and covering the spigot with a winter cap, cleaning out the gutter, (I only have one, so that will be easy) picking up and putting away the decorative items that were out for summer and fall. I just changed the furnace filter so I won't do that again until spring. And I believe this weekend we will fall back an hour!! 


I am thankful...
 
I am thankful for all that I have. And all those I love. And for all of you who read my blog and are my friends!!


I am listening to...

 
 
I am listening to The Chew on TV. They are cooking spooky food for Halloween. Did you know a chicken can be spooky? Me neither!!


I am creating...

 
 
I am creating this blog post and my weekly menu. And I am going to create some time to read this afternoon. Monday is the day I recover from the busy weekend. Darian and I got ourselves haircuts on Friday night and grabbed dinner from Freddie's Frozen Custard while Harley was at the football game. Justin and Paige came over in the evening. He left for his Saturday football games early on Saturday morning. Harley attended a Sweet 16 party for one of her friends in the evening and Paige and Darian went to see The Last Witch Hunter at the theater. Granny was the taxi driver so there were several trips made to drop off and pick up kiddos. On Sunday we took Justin to Olive Garden for a sumptuous Happy 40th Birthday lunch before he and Paige left in the afternoon. Darian went to hang out with the girlfriend while Harley and I hit the grocery store. So now you know why I like alone, relaxing time on Monday!! 


I am going...
 
I am going to do a few loads of laundry this afternoon. That won't interfere much with my reading time.


I am wondering...
 
I am wondering what happened to my yearly goals. I will have to look back and see where I am with that! It has been awhile. Usually I follow up with this once monthly but it has been awhile since I even looked at them. Sometimes that is just the way it goes with goals, isn't it? Do you make goals or resolutions for yourself?


I am reading...
 
I am still reading A Man Called Ove. I haven't done much reading lately. I need to get back into it. I love reading. It is one of my most relaxing hobbies. An escape.
 


I am hoping...
 
I am hoping life continues to go along as smoothly as it has been. I like it this way. No surprises. No bumps in the road. Just nice and easy, everyday living!


I am learning...

My group for memorizing Bible scriptures has taken a break for the end of the year holidays. I am memorizing on my own in Scripture Typer. I am working on John 15:1-17
I enjoy memorizing and I love Scripture Typer. It helps me memorize as well as keeping my typing skills polished. If you haven't tried it, you should!!




 



 
In my kitchen...
This week we are going simple and using what we have in the cupboards and the freezer. You have to do that now and then, right!
 
 
Monday...3 cheese hamburger skillet
 
Wednesday...The kids will eat at church
 
Thursday...Breakfast for dinner
 
Friday...Chili with crackers
 
Saturday...Cheesy potato soup in crockpot
 
Sunday...Homemade Pizza
 


 


A favorite quote for today...
 
















A peek into my week...

Today Darian has debate practice and Harley and I are anxiously awaiting another episode of Dancing with the Stars. Do you watch? Who are you rooting for? Tuesday is going to be Darian's first session of Senior Picture taking. We are all looking forward to this! Harley has an all-day,, out of town, conference for FCCLA and they will go to their youth group at church in the evening on WednesdayThursday Darian has his PT with the Marines. Friday night is another home football game so Harley will be at the school selling programs for FCCLA. Saturday is Halloween...Darian is going to a party! Harley has no plans yet. I don't know if Justin and Paige will be here. On Sunday Justin is taking Darian to a Father-Son Shooting event! Darian is excited. They will be shooting clay pigeons. And roasting hot dogs at a bonfire.


One of my favorite things...



This is one of my new favorite things. I have found the world of adult coloring. So relaxing!! Well, it is since I purchased my own colored pencils. I was using Harley's and the lead broke so often that I didn't find it very relaxing. I think she has dropped hers a time or two. So off to Office Max for new pencils for both of us and wala....This is what I am working on. I colored 3 bookmarks over the weekend and immediately lost them to 3 grands!


 
 


Post Script...

I would encourage all of you to like/follow Tasty on Facebook. There are some terrific, easy recipes for your family.




Okay, friends that's it for another week. I'm heading over to Peggy's The Simple Woman's Blog to join the link and check out some of my favorite bloggers. Want to join us??
 




****************************



30 comments:

  1. I've seen the adult coloring book mentioned often on Facebook. It looks neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very fun to do. I framed it and put it in the entryway of my home!

      Delete
  2. Looks like you have been busy! I'm also stopping over from Simple woman's Daybook, always so great to meet new people! I love the adult coloring books and pages. Before staying home with my girls I was an Early Childhood teacher and in the late evenings waiting for parent pickups a small group of us would sit with the kids as we waited and colored. So relaxing, a great way to unwind from the day. :-) Have a great evening, I will be back to visit again. You can find me also on Facebook: Blessings of a Stay at Home Mom and twitter @jillkh39 and instagram jillkh. If you have these accounts too let me know and I will follow you as well.

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Jill! I will get my other accounts listed here on my blog so everyone can follow!

      Delete
  3. Your C S Lewis quote is great! You're doing a great job of taking care of the ficus for so long! I'm glad life is going along smoothly for you. I hope you have more of the same. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gram. I loved the C.S. Lewis quote too!

      Delete
  4. Darian's senior picture taking is this week? We always did it in the summer.

    Ah, winter prep. Good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He can do his anytime. We are having a fall session because that is his favorite season. Then we will have a winter session and an indoor session. Senior pictures are so different than when I was a senior back in 1969!!

      Delete
  5. I am visiting from The Simple Woman daybook linkup. I'll omit that "Adult coloring" is one of my hobbies also I'm working on a steam punk one currently.
    Also have to mention that I love that quote!
    ~Hugs from Hayley
    || http://hayleyoliviareflectionsofme.blogspot.com/ ||

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Hayley. I finished and framed the turkey. Now I am working on a Christmas stocking!! It is so fun

      Delete
  6. A 25-year old ficus? Wow. I swear, plants put in my custody shrink away and die of their own accord. I keep trying to tell them, "It's not personal ...."

    Glad to hear you enjoyed a neat weekend and were able to celebrate at Olive Garden. (Did you get your Italian Margarita?)

    Now, I'm off to visit Tasty's FB page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we went to eat before noon so I didn't order my Italian Margarita. I did sip the free wine. Both mine and Justin's. He was going to work!!

      Delete
  7. I loved coloring with the kids :) I should get back into it :) Yum on the Olive Garden. Cute story about it. Our second week here, we went there for dinner. Waitress accidentally spilled a glass of wine on husband (it slipped out of her hand). Went all over his white shirt. Of course she is horrified; first time something like that happened. Gets the manager over there, puts another order in for his entry since it went over his entry, etc. They comped our dinner, dessert included, offered to pay for the dry cleaning. We left her a tip even though it was a comp dinner because we figured she would still have to tip people that helped at the table. We wanted to make sure she would not be fired because of her mistake with it, the manager assured us she wouldn't be (I hope she wasn't.). We said we would be back to eat and ask for her, but there are so many restaurants here we haven't been back. But their food is delicious!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a young teenager I worked at a restaurant called Lum's. They served hot dogs. And beer. I dropped an entire tray of beer on my boss's table during our training. I was sure I would be let go. But I wasn't. What is crazy now is that teens are not allowed to serve beer! (P.S. he didn't leave me a tip)

      Delete
  8. I love coloring so much, I have an app for it on my phone (colorfy).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Bindi is going to win DWTS. Glad things are going smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure that is how it is looking. She is not my favorite though!!

      Delete
  10. I think I manage to do a daybook post about every three months, lol! But that's okay. I, too, am enjoying a slower pace lately. Sometimes the best things just take time, eh? Like soup in the crockpot, or a good James Herriot book. Enjoy your day today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss watching the Chew now that I am not home in the afternoons! Also pinned that coloring page so I can print it later. Coloring is so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Chew! Didn't know if I would when it first started.

      Delete
  12. I took up coloring awhile back too. I do enjoy it - however, I just can't quite find that perfect coloring book yet! I've tried 3 so far! But I have had fun looking at them and collecting a bunch of different colored pencils!!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I just go onto Pinterest and type in adult coloring pages!! There are all free and you can pick and chose what you want to color.

      Delete
  13. I envy those who have Autumn color to enjoy. I so miss the changing colors of the leaves. There's just nothing like the majestic Fall in the northern states!
    Speaking of colors, I like your turkey! It's going to be beautiful when it's finished. I never thought of coloring as a way to relax. I'll have to give that a try...
    Have a great week Paula!
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My finished turkey is framed and in the entry way to welcome visitors for November!! I'll have to photograph it and share it again

      Delete
  14. Hi sweet lady!!!! Anything CS Lewis is always a good idea. I love his books and quotes.
    Sounds like you're busy taxi driver for sure but you know they appreciate it. I have a color book too . Its swirly mandela's. So fun!!
    I've been a lousy blogger visiting other blogs but I've done good just to post on my own. So sorry. :( Missed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed you too Holli! But sometimes life just gets in the way, doesn't it? No worries!! Visit anytime.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!