Monday, October 12, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook-October 12th Edition

For Today... 


Today is Monday, October 12, 2015. OCTOBER, folks!! Can't believe I am seeing it is almost the middle of the month. I know, I know! I say every week how fast time is moving. But, it is! Simple as that. And it just keeps surprising me all the time!!


Outside my window...

Outside my window is a beautiful, clear, skies are blue, kind of day. It is 72*. I am seeing, by looking at the forecast, it will get cloudy later today! Supposed to be into the 80's. Still has that fall feel in the air.


I am thinking...

This morning I am thinking about the earthquake that woke me from a sound sleep during the night Friday/Saturday. I had trouble going to sleep and when I finally did I was awakened by a very strong rumble that felt like someone was kicking the back of the couch. I lay awake for a bit and then finally drifted off to sleep. Later in the day, on Saturday, I heard on the news that at 4:20 a.m. there was a 4.4 scale earthquake north of Enid, Oklahoma that was felt all the way into Kansas. Geez...we are in tornado alley and now we get to contend with earthquakes. There has been much talk of the quakes in Oklahoma and more and more of them being felt where I live in Kansas. Rather unsettling, if I do say so myself.


I am thankful...

I am thankful it was only 4.4. Hopefully, never anything stronger. I cannot afford to add earthquake insurance to my homeowners policy! Please, dear Lord, keep the earthquakes minor.


I am listening to...

Currently I am listening to the news on the TV. It is playing in the background. Right now they are talking about the World Series. Do you watch? Are you a baseball fan?


I am creating...

I am creating this post and my weekly menu. I am also going to turn the fall mantle into a Halloween mantle with just a few minor adjustments. Like jack-o-lanterns and my ghost lights!


I am going...

I am going into the garage pretty soon and look for those ghost lights. And keep my eye open for spiders. This seems to be the time of year they are moving into warmer quarters. And there are some big spiders out and about!! Justin found two really, really big ones on the garage door yesterday. Yikes!!


I am wondering...

I am wondering when I will stop dreaming about working at the hospital. I am so tired when I wake up knowing that I haven't gotten all of my work done. And having my (old) boss constantly frowning at me. She's retired now and needs to stay the heck out of my dreams!!


I am reading...

I am still reading A Child al Confino. I am on the final chapters. Stay turned for my book review soon.
 


I am hoping...

I am hoping for a quiet, uneventful week! The kind we all want to have from time to time.


I am learning...

This week I am memorizing Isaiah 12:5

"Sing Praises to the Lord for he has done gloriously. Let this be made known in all the earth!"




 


In my kitchen...

Monday...Leftover day! (We have leftover meatloaf. I am feeling a meatloaf sandwich coming my way)

Tuesday...Sausage, eggs, pancakes

Wednesday...kids will eat at church

Thursday...Ranch Pasta Salad

Friday...Italian Sausage Bake

Saturday...Shepherds Pie
           Birthday Cake
Celebrating Justin's Birthday next week!!

Sunday...Hamburgers on the grill
 


 


A favorite quote for today...



Isn't this the truth? Sometimes it is just better to let go of those people and move on. I have had to do this because the pain of trying to figure out how I can keep them in my life has been too much. So I have moved on. Some, I hope will catch up, some I just don't have the energy for anymore! Know what I mean??



 


A peek into my week...

Today...Darian has debate practice until 8 p.m. It is Dancing With the Stars night.

Tuesday...no current plans

Wednesday...take the kids to youth group. It is Survivor night!! My baby, Elaine, birthday. I will take flowers to the grave.

Thursday...we are going to town and pick up Darian's letter jacket and taking it to the people who will sew all the patches on.

Friday...schedule looks clear

Saturday...Home debate tournament. When there is a Debate tournament at our school we don't debate. We just host. I am responsible for hot dogs, bun, potato chips, lemonade mix  and water for the concession stand and for the judges!! Darian will be there helping all day. Uncle Justin may be one of the judges!!

Sunday..."adopted" son-in-law's birthday. Happy Birthday Marvin.






 



From my fall bucket list...








We made a fire in the fire pit on Saturday night and roasted marshmallows and made S'Mores.  
 


I am linking with Peggy at The Simple Woman's Blog. I love seeing what the other ladies daybooks say today. Won't you join us? Have a Happy Monday, friends!




****************************

22 comments:

  1. The weather IS beautiful here in Kansas today! I've felt quite a few earthquake in the last year, but I slept through that latest one. I used to say "I'll take a tornado over an earthquake any day!" Welll.... guess I shouldn't have, lol...
    Hope you have a fabulous week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Anita! That tornado was so devastating in Greenburg. Yes, it is a beautiful day here in Kansas. I think I will go outside and enjoy it for a bit! Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. I think debate is one of the best disciplines children can be taught. Good for Darien.
    I wish I had a usually eventful week, with only two or three evening activities, but this week I have to take Emily for senior pictures tonight and induction to honor society, tomorrow Laura goes to the doctor on top of all else, then band on Wednesday and Friday and, well, you get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debate has been good for Darian. For the most part! Yes, these grands can keep us grams busy, can't they?

      Delete
  3. Yikes with the earthquake! I always thought they weren't supposed to venture any further east than the California border - lol. Sometimes I wonder if Mr. God isn't trying to tell us something; and when His gentle reminders won't become shoves?

    That's neat about Darian having letter jacket. I didn't think schools did that anymore. But I can close my eyes and still see how handsome our h.s. athletes looked in their leather green and gold.

    PS - Won't you post a picture of your Halloween mantle when it's done? The ghost lights sound like great fun.

    P.P.S. - Nope, I'm not a fan of baseball at all. I started to write, 'we' - but hubby's from Chicago and I heard the Cubs are in the finals. (Which probably means it's going to snow in Phoenix tonight - lol!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered the same Myra. I think God is giving us all the wake up calls he can. I hope we are listening. Yes, Darian's letter jacket is Maroon and white. It is a shame he is getting it his Senior year as I am sure he won't wear it past high school. But if a boy letters then he should have a jacket! I will post a picture with the ghost lights!!

      Delete
  4. I'm still in process of decorating my entire house for the Holliween party in 2 weeks. I should have started earlier in September.
    The Rangers are playing and while I don't like watching the games. I am interested in knowing how they're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Royals pulled out a win today! It was unbelievable. Sorry Houston Astros!! Don't give up on K. C. yet! I am not a baseball fan either Holli!!

      Delete
  5. The earthquake is freaky! We've had them here in Northern Maine, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most earthquakes are minor ones. The big ones hit once in a blue moon. At least that's my experience. In California.

    Not a baseball fan. Or any sports, really. Which makes me sort of a pariah at school. But oh well.

    For years after I left the retail job I'd have dreams about working there. Haven't had one in a while, but it took a good decade before they subsided. And I only worked there 11 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, minor is good!! Do you have lots of minor ones in California? It seems there are more and more of these minor ones closer to Oklahoma and Kansas. I'm not a baseball fan either. But I like it better than football. I know how those dreams of working are haunting, aren't they?

      Delete
  7. We never had earthquake insurance when we lived in California, too high of a deductibke, took our chances. Tornados scare me more than earthquakes, but they are scary to experience especially if you aren't use to them. So glad you made the s'mores, I bet they were delicious!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take my chances too. I'm sure we will never have any kind of damage to speak of here. Tornadoes can be very scary. Those s'mores were delicious

      Delete
  8. Hi Paula - gosh earthquake awakening. But it sounds like you've a full week - love the thought of marshmallows by the fire ... the debate sounds interesting too .. cheers and happy times - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does enjoy the debating. It gives him healthy functions to attend!!

      Delete
  9. It has been beautiful here lately as well. We actually had an earthquake in Michigan once too. Crazy....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is so beautiful. However today's temps were between 40-89* Now that is crazy!!

      Delete
  10. I didn't know you lost a baby girl. Thinking of you today. what kind of flowers will you take to her grave?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the cutest little pot of lavender mums. That's what I usually take since she was born in the fall!

      Delete
  11. p.s. now that I have my tech issues with commenting solved . . . I worked three summers as a baseball statistician at for a radio station. I watched MN Twins games from the press box. Those were three fun summers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked three summers at a baseball park too! We had a semi-pro team here in Hutchinson. In fact, that is how I met Richard!! We have much in common Gram. Except I managed the concession stand!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!