Tuesday, September 15, 2015

What Lies do You Tell Yourself????

Do you tell lies? How about do you tell lies to yourself? I think lying to myself is protective. Might not be honest but it is protecting me when I just don't want to face facts.

For instance: When I look in the mirror I know that I could afford to lose a few
Yep, that's me!
pounds. Okay, okay I hear you laughing out there. Maybe more than a few pounds. But if I tell myself "You aren't really THAT fat", or "You're tall so you can carry off more weight," that is protective. It probably isn't conducive to getting me started on the good old diet and exercise regimen. I can lie to myself about why I don't try to lose weight. It's too slow. It costs too much. I can't breathe. Yep, I have told myself all of these lies. I don't even own a bathroom scale any longer so I have no idea what I really weigh. And I don't care. (maybe that is another lie.)


Another lie that I keep telling myself is about my memory. I have a great memory. I can almost remember everything that happened yesterday. I can go to the grocery store without a list and get everything I need. I can remember telephone numbers without writing them down. An appointment with the doctor isn't on my calendar because I have a great memory! All lies!! Big, fat lies that I have quit telling myself. My memory sucks. I have to write everything down. And I mean everything. I make a grocery list. Then I used to leave it at home. See, can't even remember to take it. Now I use "Out of Milk", an app on my phone. I just need to remember to take my phone.

One area of my life that I am really great at lying to myself has to do with home and car repairs. That spot on the garage floor that resembles oil isn't really that big of a deal. I can always add more oil. That grinding sound the car makes when I turn a corner will go away. I just need to drive it more. That tiny drip from the kitchen sink isn't that important. Or the one in the bathtub. Or the one at the outside faucet. See what I mean? Easy to keep telling these lies to myself.

Then there are the health lies I tell. I can see perfectly fine without glasses. I only have to squint a bit to see that scrolling
Smart man, that Thomas Jefferson
line along the bottom of the TV. I can still see the stop sign at the end of the street. I can still read (with my reading glasses, of course). This toothache will go away by morning. Why bother a dentist. He is busy and doesn't need to put up with whining women like me. When it gets bad enough I can just go get it pulled and it won't be a problem any longer. I can always buy another bottle of Ambesol to ease the pain. And take more Advil. See what I mean?

Now you can help me feel better. Do you lie to yourself? Share some of the lies you have told yourself. We all do it! I know we do.









21 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I do lie to myself. I tell myself I'm basically okay with having no face to face friends anymore (but I'm not okay with it).... that my house is not that bad looking inside and out. When in reality, it is falling apart! That I'm not lonely... (I think that is the biggest lie I tell myself). I swear, if it wasn't for all my online friends, I would really be in trouble!! Oh, another lie - when my gray hair is popping out on the top of my head in patches (which is more and more often) - I tell myself it doesn't look that bad. I'll color it soon.... LOL!


    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some of those lies too Linda. Oh my, I might find out that I lie more to myself than I thought I did! Except I quit coloring my hair three years ago when Richard got sick. It was just too much to keep up with. Now I am mostly gray and I have accepted it!

      Delete
  2. I do tell lies to myself. The weight one is one I use too. Another one is "I'll be okay if you're out of town for a few days" when in reality I won't get much if any sleep as I don't like being alone. Maybe lies are sometimes a way of self talk??

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is 'self preservation.' I don't think I would have a problem with being in the house all alone. I never have been so I can't say for sure! I will find out in three years when neither of the kids are at home anymore.

      Delete
  3. Yup, my memory is bonkers too. When people say "don't you remember....", I lie. Just nod my head up and down and say yes. I amazes me how many times I can get away with that. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, my love/hate relationship with the bathroom scale! You'd think by now I wouldn't still be spinning tales to the bathroom mirror. In all honesty, my motivation to stay slim used to be impressing the opposite sex ... which, when you think about it, seems pretty pathetic at 65. LOL.
    Sure, I could stand to lose another 10-12 pounds - but then, I'd have to go out and spend money on new clothes. (And the vicious cycle begins.)

    PS - You really had me going there for a bit with your knack for memorization!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That used to be my motivation for staying slim Myra. And then along came the love of my life and he loved me for me! Made all the difference in the world! Nope, not a great memory here!!

      Delete
  5. You are not a whining woman. Why do we have this stereotype in our culture? If something is wrong, we need to speak up. Those who call it whining perhaps don't want to hear it, but if we don't speak up for ourselves, who will?

    Yes, I lie to myself. Don't we all?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, I think you and I both have the same car because I use EXACTLY the same lie about the grinding noise it makes!! However, today it is on my To Do list - I feel sure this was a sign BEFORE things go too wrong - so thank you for making me be honest :) I was also just like Mevely and thought oh no how can your memory be that great? So I'm relieved you owned up on that one! Have a super week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I haven't made that appointment yet for my car. I have to before winter sets in!

      Delete
  7. I never lie to myself or anyone else.....okay that is a lie LOL. I lie to myself more than I lie to others. That is the truth. Today I am lying and telling myself that I feel fine and can get everything done that I need to do when in truth I feel like absolute pooder dooder and need to go back to bed. These allergies are kicking my butt!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You made me chuckle. I hope you get to feeling better too. Allergies suck!

      Delete
  8. This post made me smile . . . but not for obvious reasons. When GN was little and learning to read and getting her library card, we had an age appropriate discussion about the difference between Fiction and Non-fiction. Her over-simplification ended up as Non-fiction was the truth and Fiction was a lie and she only wanted to read non-fiction because it was not a lie. We went round and round, but to no avail. That's what came to mind when I read your post. As for what lies I tell myself, I'm pretty much non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute story! No way I am non-fiction! I lie to myself all the time. I demand honesty is all around me. But I have no problem lying to myself.

      Delete
  9. I'll have to think about it, though I'm sure there are some. In the meantime, may I suggest you add 'The Deception of Livvy Higgs' by Donna Morrissey to your reading list? It's very on-theme and I just finished reading it today :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the lion(lying) in the mirror. Yep we all have these little lies we tell ourselves to make it through the day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some days there are too many to list... other days I'm so brutally frank with myself that I have to slap me!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!