Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge!

Here we are back to the Hodgepodge. We skipped last week while Joyce From This Side of the Pond caught up on things she needed to be doing at her home. We all have those kinds of days don't we? So here we go. Answer the prompts she provides and link up with her page. Then do the fun thing and go pay others a visit. Make new friends!!

 1. What have you 'fallen for' recently?

I can't think of a single thing that I have fallen for lately. Unless it would be decorating my Happy Planner. I do enjoy doing that. Here is a peek at a weekly spread in October! And I used some stickers I had been hoarding.






 2. What's something you're 'squirreling away' for later?


If you would ask my youngest son he would tell you that I am a hoarder. But I'm not! Have you seen that show? My house doesn't look a thing like any of those places. My closets might. But it's all neatly put away. I keep craft supplies, scrapbooking things, art supplies all neatly tucked in bins for that "someday when I get free time". Maybe I am there now. I have been going through a bin full of rubber stamps (Stampin' Up). I doubt that I will suddenly start making cards. But I can't seem to part with any of them. What to do! What to do! Do you have hoards like this too?



 3. How do you like your apples? Sweet? Tart? Crisp? Cooked? Apples are one of the superfoods for fall...how often do you eat an apple either plain or as part of a favorite recipe? What's your favorite variety?

One of my favorite things about fall is apples. We used to go over to the apple orchard and pick our own. That orchard no longer exists but I still buy a bushel of apples every fall. This year I bought Gala and Fuji apples. I love them crisp and sweet. Here are a few "Did you Know's" about apples.
1) Did you know that apples are part of the rose family?
2) Did you know that 29% of all fruit consumed everyday are apples?
3) Did you know that it takes 2 pounds of apples to make one 9 inch pie?
4) Did you know that every state in the USA grows apples?

 


4. According to Fodor's the ten best fall foliage trips in the US of A are-Aspen Colorado, The Catskills New York, The Berkshires Massachusetts, Columbia River Gorge Oregon, Green Mountain Byway Vermont, Enchanted Circle Scenic Byway New Mexico, Great Smoky Mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee, Upper Peninsula Michigan, Lake of the Ozarks Missouri, and Glacier National Park Montana. Which would you most like to visit this fall and why?

Richard and I would make a fall trip to Colorado every year just to see the Aspens. Richard loved Colorado and always wanted to live there. We talked about it but never made the leap. Colorado is where I will scatter his ashes one day (when I am ready). I would love to make a trip to the Green Mountain Byway in Vermont. I have never visited those states and would love to go. Maybe someday!


 5. The topic of legalizing marijuana was raised in the most recent televised political debate so let's wade in too. Twenty-three states and the District of Columbia currently have laws legalizing marijuana in some form. Four states have legalize marijuana for recreational use. Your thoughts?


I have a son who is a drug addict. He started with marijuana. I know that many will tell you that marijuana is NOT a Gateway drug. But you will find me hard pressed to believe that. I am sure that not every person who smokes marijuana moves on to harder drugs. But many do! I do not want marijuana to become legalized. In the state I live in, Kansas, marijuana is not legal to possess, sell, or manufacture. Even medical marijuana is illegal. I have read many research articles on the pros and cons of medical marijuana and it seems there is not a clear cut answer that it is beneficial. I am going to continue to vote no on it's legalization.


 

6. Are you okay to watch a movie already in progress or do you need to always see it from the beginning? How about jumping into a TV series somewhere in the middle? Is that okay?

I have been known to start watching a movie in the middle. But I'm not fond of that. I am not really a big movie watcher. I will watch if it is on and I am not the controller of the remote controller. I have also began TV series in the middle. But if I really like the show then I will go back and watch all the other seasons. I purchased past seasons of both The Good Wife and Army Wives and watched all the seasons. I want to do the same with Scandal.

7. Thursday (September 24) is National Punctuation Day. What rule of punctuation trips you up most often? What rule of punctuation, when broken by someone else, bugs you the most?



Rule 4. Overuse of exclamation points is a sign of undisciplined writing. Do not use even one of these marks unless you're convinced it is justified.

That is the rule I most often break!! I overuse exclamation points. Just the way I write!! I guess you might call me an undisciplined writer!! Go ahead! I don't care if you call me that!!


 8.  Insert your own random thought here
.

Today is the First Day of Fall!!



30 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you on pot and punctuation -- happy fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paige. Hope you have a wonderful fall!!

      Delete
  2. 1) thistles and dragonflies, 2) books and yarn, 3) crisp and sweet, 4) Glacier National Park, 5) opposed, 6) beginning, 7) I guessed what you would say, but do you remember Victor Borge's rendition of Phoenetic Punctuation for verbal communication? Made me laugh when I was a kid. It's online at: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6bpIbdZhrzA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your answers! I would have guessed yarn and books for you. I laughed that you said you guessed my answer would be exclamation mark. Thank you for sharing the link to Victor Borge. It is hilarious. I will share it with my kiddos. They'll love it!!

      Delete
  3. OK, I'll join you over in the undisciplined corner! Sure, sometimes I grow concerned about my over-use of the '!" ... but really, who cares?
    So there!! ... and there!!! (tee-hee)

    I'd love to visit Vermont myself; but it's probably more realistic to set my sights on New Mexico or Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever decide to go to Vermont, I'll give you a call. Wouldn't a road trip be a hoot??

      Delete
  4. I'm with you on marijuana. I lost a brother to drugs, and he began with marijuana. He died when he was 28--forty years gone. What a waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a waste. And I just can't understand why they want to use!! Sorry about your brother Joanne!

      Delete
  5. Nothing wrong with using exclamation marks!!! lol I'm gradually finding homes for stuff that I've hoarded for "when I get time" now that the kids have moved out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if after the grandkids move away I will have more time for the "when I get time" things!!

      Delete
  6. I'm a guilty abuser of the exclamation point, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy!! What did you think of the finale of Big Brother?? You could probably hear me screaming all the way to your house!!

      Delete
  7. My house doesn't look too cluttered either until you open the attic, storage room or closets LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....same here. Only problem is I have no storage room and I wouldn't go into the attic if you paid me. LOL!!!

      Delete
  8. Hi there!!!!!! I love exclamation points, they are my favourite!!! I use them too much, and not only one at a time!! Why use one when you can use!!!!!!!!!!!! And I do not care a hoot what anyone thinks of it!! I love your planner and you are giving me ideas! My favourite apple ever in the history of apples is honeycrisp, they are sweet and tart and almost shatter in your mouth. Oh sorry I almost forgot these !!!!!!!) But you have to get them once the season starts, they just aren't the same after they have been stored. I do not think that marijuana should be legal AT ALL. When we moved to Nova Scotia I thought it was legal, people were smoking it outside of a bank downtown. There are several people who grow it in my daughter's neighbourhood, and it stinks! Maybe it helps some medical issues, if so awesome, but there are ways in which those that need it can use it without the rest of us having to inhale it also. It would be so great if you could come and see the leaves here in Nova Scotia, but my favourite leaf peeping is in Muskoka, Ontario. We used to go up the weekend after Canadian Thanksgiving in October and go to the Bala Cranberry Festival, I miss that so much! (!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!!! I don't care either!! The planner is fun Ellie! Gives me something to do (like I don't have plenty to do) No stored apples are simply not the same. That is why I like to get them in the early fall! I would love to come to Nova Scotia and see the leaves! Maybe someday!!

      Delete
  9. I'm with you on TV series. If I get in in the middle, I want to see what came before. And you don't use too many exclamation points. At least, I don't notice it.

    Happy fall (to those of you who actually get a fall).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't really found fall here yet. One day is 75 and the next is still 90!

      Delete
  10. I'm probably guilty of too many exclamation points too. I'm aware of it, but sometimes I just can't help myself. I'm sorry about your son. I'm sure it's been painful, and I'm with you on not legalizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a painful journey with him. One that never seems to end! Thank you Joyce!!

      Delete
  11. It is the first day of fall :) Kind of snuck up on us, didn't it? Your planner does look so colorful :) My sister in law was into stamping for a bit with cards; not sure what she did with all her supplies when she was no longer interested. I wouldn't call you a hoarder, you just are wise with what you have. Yum on the apples; good idea to get a bushel of them for the fall :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty. It is fun decorating the planner. It can become addictive. And expensive if I let it. I am into finding free stickers, online, print them and use them. Have a nice day!!

      Delete
  12. Wow! I overuse exclamation points too!! I think when texting etc. it shows happiness... if you don't use a smiley emoji. I certainly understand your thoughts on marijuana and I am sorry your son struggles. I read an article a high school teacher wrote about kids who smoke losing interest in everything else. In many ways it can be a problem. Alcohol too. But it's legal. So, it's a tough debate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, alcohol could be considered the ultimate "gateway drug"!

      Delete
  13. Classified as a gateway drug n this house

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have you ever had honeycrisp apples? They're only around in the fall, and my are they good. I love a crisp, sweet apple with a chunk of extra sharp cheddar to nibble on between bites. The best :) I've done the Enchanted Circle Byway here in New Mexico and also the Blue Ridge Parkway. Very cool. I love fall and am sooo very happy to be out of Florida and living in a state that actually has four seasons. It's down in the low 50s now at night, and seems the temp is dropping daily. We have such a wide variation in temps here in the high desert. It can be 20 at night and 70 in the day--crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love honeycrisp apples too! We never got a chance to do the Enchanted Circle Byway when we visited New Mexico. I know we would have loved it. Richard and I both loved New Mexico. And it is where my friend Nanne lived!! That is crazy weather. But I think I would love it!!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!