Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge


It's hump day!! Time to join up with Joyce at From This Side of the Pond for Wednesday Hodgepodge. Here is her list of prompts for this week:
Don't forget to hop over  and add your link to the party! 

1. What's on your September calendar? Anything fun?
 
I have made a Fall Bucket List, along with my granddaughter Harley. You can see it here. We are going to do at least three of these items in the next couple weeks. I'm thinking decorate the front porch and S'mores cooked over the fire pit out back. And maybe we will throw in a game night this weekend!! I am a list maker. Do you make lists?

2. You might be described as a natural born Procrastinator! I'll admit it. I procrastinate. A lot!

3. September is National Courtesy Month...what one act of courtesy would you most like to see more of in your home, town, or the world at large? 
 
National Courtesy Month is a great idea! What this country needs is more courtesy. Less political correctness. Just be courteous. I want to see my grandkids practice courtesy to each other. Sometimes the things they say are so harsh! Even if they don't mean them.

4. Eager beaver, chicken out, clam up, or let the cat out of the bag...of the phrases listed, which one have you related to most recently? 
 
Oh this is a hard one. I am usually not the eager beaver type. Although I did become an eager beaver yesterday when I decorated the fall mantle. You can see it here. There are orange lights (which you can't see here) that make it look eerie and fall-like at night. I enjoy the mantle. There you go. Now I've let the cat out of the bag! Ha! Ha!  

5. What's your movie theatre snack protocol? Do you chow down on snacks during the previews or wait until the movie begins? Do you buy snacks or refuse to pay those kind of prices? What's the last movie you saw in a theatre? How many thumbs up would you give it?
 
I am not one to go to a movie theater very often. In fact I can probably count on one hand how many times I have gone in the last 10 years. That is sad, isn't it? Not being a big fan of movies and the cost of going to the theater keeps us at home watching the piles and piles of DVDs my brother gave us. Some really good movies too! With that being said I do love movie theater popcorn. But paying those prices kills me. I like to tuck treats into my purse for the kids. The last movie I can remember going to the theater to see was Alice in Wonderland with Johnny Depp back in 2010. It was a 'grandma date night' with Harley. We had a glorious time. But it cost me over $50.00. That is just plain nuts.

6. Henry Ford is quoted as saying, "Nobody can think straight who does not work. Idleness warps the mind." Agree or disagree? Why?


I agree! With this past year, in mourning for my wonderful husband, I have felt tired and listless. I think for the most part it was from being idle. I am starting to feel myself spring back. I want to do things again. My mind is becoming un-warped.




7. What's the last job you completed or task you performed where you had to 'work like a dog' until it was finished?


Work like a dog? Hmmmmmmmm! I am going to say the last time I worked like a dog to do something was last year. Right after Richard died. Before the memorial service. I cleaned and dusted the entire house. And shampooed all the carpets. And they need it again. Time to start barking, I'd say!




8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Starting next Friday, our town becomes host to the Kansas State Fair. Our little city of 40,000 will expect to see 350,000 people from all 105 counties in the states and from other states as well.

"The Fair offers tremendous opportunities for commerce with over 1,000 commercial vendor locations; for competition, with close to 30,000 entries in various competitive exhibit departments; for education, through its Kansas' Largest Classroom field trip program; and for entertainment with strolling and stage entertainment in addition to the national acts performing at the Nex-Tech Wireless Grandstand."

For those 10 days our city will have lots of traffic, crazy drivers, screaming teens riding carnival rides, little kids clamoring for just one more ride, consumption of tons of Proto pups and Funnel cakes. We will be enthralled with the vendors and the 4-H animals and hear the sounds from Sam Hunt, Joan Jett, and the Oakridge Boys (to name a few). Sound like fun?? Do you go to your state fair?

20 comments:

  1. Paula, to respond to some of your questions: yes, I am a list-maker. It goes a long way to keeping me on track and getting things done! No, we don't go to the state fair. It's a long drive from here and going to the county fair every 10 years or so is enough for me. As for clearing rock outside (per your comment on my blog) if you're going to do it on your knees as I did, be sure to get something really comfortable to kneel on. That made all the difference in the world for me. Your September plans sound great -- especially the S'mores!! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting me Barbara. Where would we be without our lists? I find it necessary! I agree about once every 10 years is enough for some fairs. LOL. I haven't been to our State Fair in over 3 years and it is just a jump and holler away. I MAY go this year. We'll see!

      Delete
  2. I go to the State Fair of Texas every year -- in fact on Sunday I went to the judging of the best-fried food item for this year's fair -- the fried carrot cake won!

    Hope you have a great week and the fair is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fried Carrot cake does not sound good to me. But I imagine there are people who like it. There were Fried Snickers and Fried Cotton Candy at our fair last year. YUCK! Each to their own, I guess

      Delete
  3. How fun with the fair! I always like when the fair is not in the middle of summer when the weather is so hot, like it when it is in September :) I so agree with you about the cost of going to a movie, especially the cost of a bottle of water at the movie :) I am a list maker for the grocery store, otherwise if it is not on the list 99.9% of the time I'll forget it :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the app "Out of Milk" on my phone for my grocery lists. I like it. That way if I make a side trip to the store that was not planned, I always have my list with me. Except on those rare occasions when I forget my phone....LOL!

      Delete
  4. Yes, I make lists...and I procrastinate, too.
    Loved your fall decorations. I plan to do a few outside, soon.
    I've never been to a state fair, but have been to many regional ones.
    Kathy (Reflections by Kathy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What state do you live in Kathy? You should go at least once to a state fair!

      Delete
  5. Last state fair I went to was the Alaska State Fair in 2000. It's a treasured memory. I haven't been to one since. Our state fair is held in Albuquerque, but I won't go. It's way too overwhelming for me these days--too much noise, people, lights, kids, stuff, etc. Have a great time at yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that Lisa. It can be overwhelming. I haven't yet decided whether I will go or not. But if I do I will go on a day that is least attended. Not a weekend. Thankfully the kids are old enough to go without me!

      Delete
  6. I'm embarrassed to admit. I don't like going to movies on account I always OVER-eat that incredible buttery popcorn. (And no, when I ask you if you'd like some of mine, I'm usually lying - LOL)

    Gosh, I've not been to a State Fair since high school. Maybe it's time for a cameo appearance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! At the price of popcorn we have to share! Wish you were here. We'd go to the Kansas State Fair together.

      Delete
  7. I handed one of my twin nephews something the other day. (I don't remember which. Most of the time, I'm not sure who I'm talking to.) He said "thank you". I should mention, said twins are 2 years old. I can barely understand what they're saying most of the time, but they know how to say "thank you".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids too, know how to say thank you! I am not sure that is all that is necessary in this world we live in now. I hope kids can get back to courtesy and the world will follow them. Something sure needs to change.

      Delete
  8. I am so sorry to hear of Richard's passing. I'm glad to hear you're beginning to do things again. The Kansas State Faire sounds exciting. Have fun with that Bucket List. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. May God watch over your son as he protects and serves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I have to say that losing Richard has been, by far, the hardest thing in my life. And he leaves a huge hole that will probably never be filled. The Fair will be exciting for those who go, I'm sure. I just need to decide if that will be me!!

      Delete
  9. I've been to the Kansas State fair!! I went around 8 years ago when I was working in Wichita. I always go to our Texas State Fair. Its in Dallas and Ive gone since I was a kid. Its a lot bigger than your Kansas one.
    We don't go to movies very often but I do enjoy them. The popcorn and melted butter is the best!
    Have a great weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is crazy! You have so many ties to Hutchinson! Yes, movie popcorn with butter is the best!!

      Delete
  10. Movie snacks have become so expensive. I love the Raisinettes though. A big sucker for those.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!