Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge September 8th Edition

Every single week there is a hump day. And here it is again!! I am writing in response to responses provided by Joyce From This Side of the Pond!

Here we go:



1. Last thing you did on the spur of the moment?
 
 

I am not a very "spur of the moment" kind of girl. I am thinking....thinking...thinking...thinking.
I would have to say that one day a couple of weeks ago, close to 10 p.m., the kids and I jumped in the car and raced to Sonic for a Masterblast shake. Spur of the moment!





2. How well informed do you feel about the current Syrian refugee crisis?

I do not believe I am that well informed. I went to the site provided and read about the crisis. I have seen news reports on Facebook. It is very sad to see what happens to people when their countries are involved in war. We, the people of free countries, have much to be thankful for.







3. What have you changed your mind about? 
 
Oh my gosh! I am constantly changing my mind. Ask my teens! I make rules and then decide to change the rule. Often times I speak before I think. This is definitely something I need to work on. Better to change your mind, though, than just continue to be wrong.
 
 

4. A medium sized non-poisonous snake found it's way into the pool trap this weekend. If you'd been sitting poolside would you have fished it out? Gone running? Called for help? Pretended not to know? Continued swimming?
 

I would have fished it out! Although a small, skittering mouse will cause my heart to race and my blood turn to ice, I have no fear of snakes at all.


 5. September 10th is National TV Dinner Day...what's your idea of a great TV dinner? (Or at least a pretty good one!) 
 
I really have never tasted what I would call a great TV dinner. We used to make our own from used TV dinner trays, wrap them in foil, and freeze them for later use. I don't buy TV dinners! However, we love Marie Callendar's Chicken Pot pies!

6. Samuel Johnson is quoted as saying, "Courage is reckoned the greatest of all virtues; because, unless a man has that virtue, he has no security for preserving any other." Would you agree? Where have you seen that played out recently? What's the second greatest virtue?

In my books, honesty would be the second greatest virtue. In fact, truth be told, it would be first for me. I have no thoughts on the quote.  





7. What are three words you have trouble remembering how to spell?
 
Three words that I have trouble with are: temperature, definitely, and occasional. Thank goodness for spell check because I had to change everyone of those to the correct spelling as I typed this answer.  

8. Insert your own random thought here.

All day yesterday I watched new premiers of shows on daytime TV: The View, The Meredith Show, as well as the news at several different times. I couldn't make it through 20 minutes of The View. Those ladies screaming over each other was enough to just make me change the channel to instead watch The Today show. I like Meredith Vierya, for the most part, but her show is really taking on a semblance to The View. Now with all that being said the topic I found most disturbing was all the hoopla about Kim Davis, the Kentucky county clerk who was sentenced to jail for refusing to give a marriage license to a gay couple. I think it is  a sad day when we allow one person's rights to override another persons rights. I do not want to offend anyone here. We are all entitled to believe what we want to believe. But are their rights more important that a person's religious rights. I don't think so. However, I am not sure why Kim Davis did not just stand aside and let someone else sign the documents. That would have made more sense to me. Or why didn't the couple just go to another county to get their license. Is it necessary for everything to be done for the media now?? It seems that is REALLY what this entire fiasco was about! Any thoughts?  

18 comments:

  1. I love Sonic! They're shakes are yummy.
    I hate snakes. I would make sure it was dead and then fish it out to throw away.
    I do not agree with Kim Davis. She needs to be impeached. If marriage licenses are part of her job and they are not doing their job- anyone else would have been fired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess on some things I will just have to agree to disagree! There are many things people are forced to do that does not agree with the religious convictions one has. Yes, Sonic has the best shakes around!

      Delete
  2. This country is based on the rule of law. The opposite of law is anarchy. It one does not like the law, one sets about gathering support for change of the law. The process can go all the way to the supreme court. That's the case with the young men who stood before Kim Davis. Kim Davis was hired to (and paid a good deal of money to) uphold the law. If she finds herself unable to fulfill the law, she should step aside. As for another county, why should these fellows incommode themselves to find a county that abides by the law, and not the county that they live in.
    Enough Kim Davis; she had her five minutes of fame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that people should gather change some of the laws that are making this country into the crazy place that it has become. But I am just too old to get too much into it anymore. I do agree that Kim Davis was paid to uphold the law. Unfortunately the law she agree to uphold keeps changing. Maybe you are right that she should just step down. Doesn't seem quite fair to me when one persons right is greater than another persons right. Another time I will agree to disagree. Kim Davis has had her five minutes. Will the others ever get through with their five minutes??

      Delete
  3. I'm probably more afraid of snakes than airplane rides ... and that's saying a lot!

    I hadn't thought of the Kim Davis affair being fanned by the media, but it makes perfect sense. Tom's probably tired of me yelling at the television reporters to stop showing up for all these demonstrations.

    PS - 'No "Bible thumper" here, but I'm plain disgusted when folks' religious beliefs are discounted and made fun of. I don't know that I'd have the courage she exhibited, but I applaud her convictions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it was fanned by the media. I am not a Bible thumper either but I do stand by my Christian beliefs. Something that seems to be out of favor in this day and age!

      Delete
  4. I'm having a hard time with Kim Davis and her situation. I truly agree with her about what constitutes marriage as defined by God, but if her job is to give marriage licenses, she needs to do it or step down. Its unfortunate the law of the land changed, but it did change and now unfortunately it has to be upheld. Now if a law was made that pastors HAD to perform same sex marriages, that I wouldn't support or would side with pastors; like I said, I'm having a real hard time with her.

    I can never spell territory or veterinarian; good thing I had spell check so I could spell them correctly here :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Betty. If that is her job to give out marriage licenses then it is her job. But I feel she did have the right to stand aside and let someone else do it for her. My ONE AND ONLY issue here is where does one right end when another one right begins??

      Delete
  5. I think she was looking for attention and the media accommodated her. Her boss should have stepped in way before it got so far out of hand and told her to do her job or to allow someone else to do her job. If a pharmacist is Catholic they still distribute birth control. If a judge is Catholic she is still required to grant divorces. Sheeesh people....get a life.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We, as nurses, however were allowed not to participate in abortions if we had religious or otherwise convictions. I just don't understand why she wasn't just allowed to step to the side and have a deputy sign the marriage license. I think it is another case of we, the public, didn't get all the facts; just the spin that the media wanted us to have!

      Delete
  6. Eye donut half treble spellling. Eye think Eye am pratty good at it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only thing I know about Syria came from seeing this comic strip: http://topyaps.com/syrian-crisis-comics

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you're a braver woman than me if you can tackle snakes. I'd be running. You've also sparked up a bit of debate over the Kim Davis issue. That made the news over here so it's definitely been fanned by the media. Having a soon to be married gay daughter I'm totally on the side of she needs to do her job or, if it offends her due to a change in the law, then she should consult with her employer as to how the situation could be reconciled. We all have some stupid laws at times but we can all be part of the process - we elect the people who make the laws. We can petition our MPs on how we think they should vote on issues. Doesn't always work but you have to try if you feel that strongly about something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, still being fanned by the media. I still wonder why her rights are not as important as the gay rights! But, in the USA, right now gay rights is such a political issue that it won't do any good to try to take it on. She should just quietly have her deputies do the issuing of marriage licenses and fade away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a fan of The View at all. I do love Candace Cameron Bure though-she seems genuine. I'm trying to catch up a bit on last week's HP before next week rolls around! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you Joyce. I know how far behind we can get with our blog reading!!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!