Monday, September 28, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook-September 28th Edition

For Today... 

Today is Monday, September 28, 2015. Soon we will put this September into the history books. It has pretty much been uneventful at our house. Just a normal month. Normal is nice, isn't it?


Outside my window...

Outside my window there are several squirrels scampering in the yard. I love to watch them chase each other and play. They are hiding lots of acorns from the big, majestic oak tree in front. It is 78* currently with partially cloudy sky. I just heard on the news that it will be possible to see nighttime temperatures in the 40's by this coming weekend. Then the trees will begin to change rapidly into their fall wardrobes! Let the beauty begin!!


I am thinking...

I am thinking about my son this morning. It was 6 years ago today his friend Brian was shot to death by a criminal who placed a 911 call to his house to report a theft and then equipped with a high-powered rifle hid in the bushes and awaited a police officers response. The suspect was later shot to death by deputies that were attempting to apprehend him as he shot at them with Brian's gun. Dumb! Dumb! Dumb! We need to take the time to lift up our police officers!!


This picture is on the Sheriff's Facebook page
 
I am thankful...I am thankful for my deputy son, all of his fellow deputies, and all police officers and deputies across the nation. We need them. Protect them!


 


 


I am wearing...

I am in a bright yellow tee shirt and grey sweatpants. Off to shower soon and change into my normal uniform for this time of year. Yoga pants and tee shirt!


I am creating...

My normal Monday creations are being produced: this blog post and my weekly menu!


I am going...

I am going to do a bit of straightening up and start some laundry pretty soon. A quiet Monday. I like for Monday's to just be a day of winding down after a hectic, busy weekend.


I am wondering...

I am wondering what chores I should start to tackle this week. I did get the outside of the house all washed down on Friday. There were many, many spider webs everywhere. Now I want to get out the paint and do some outside touching up before the weather turns so cold.


I am reading...

I am reading A Child, al Confinn by Eric Lament. It is a Friday Freebie from Barnes and Nobel. Stay tuned for my review!!!
 


I am hoping...

I am hoping this coming week is good and productive for all of us.


I am learning...

I am learning that it just really doesn't matter how much I procrastinate. Things will get done. And if they don't, who cares? It's my house and I only need to stay true to me. So there!!


 


In my kitchen...
 
 
Tuesday....Sloppy Joes & French fries
 
Wednesday...Church night
 
Thursday...Harley's Hamburger Helper!!
 
Friday...Ranch Pasta salad
 
Saturday...Pancakes and sausage
 
 
 




A favorite quote for today...
 



 
Isn't this the truth? We really are the only one who limit ourselves!













A peek into my week...

Today...Darian has debate practice
Tuesday...Harley has a FCCLA meeting after school
Wednesday...church for the kiddos
Thursday...Darian will chose either Marine Babies or another debate practice
Friday...no plans
Saturday...some major housecleaning!!
Sunday...we will relax! and watch The Good Wife premier! And maybe cross a couple of things off our Fall Bucket list...like have a Pumpkin Spice Latté. I have Never been to Starbucks! Maybe we'll go!
 


One of my favorite things...

One of my favorite things has been to decorate my outdoor space. I haven't done much over the past few years but I am gathering ideas for future spring and summer projects. Isn't this idea the cutest?





These were created as a community art project by Flicity Wallis in the United Kingdom. I think it would be fun to try to create some of my own "totem poles" using old flower pots, saucers, wooden boxes, and a bowling ball.  I don't know that I would cover them all in mosaic like these were. Maybe some outdoor paint. What do you think?? A fun project that my girls would like to help with!!!!


From the board room...
 

This pin can be found here or on my Monster Mash-Halloween Pinterest board. A cute and very easy decoration. I have many strands of those tiny twinkle lights in my Christmas stash. Plus we go through 2 gallons of milk a week. Get ready for some fun kids. Do you decorate at your house for Halloween??


Last night we watched the Lunar Eclipse of the blood moon (while running back and forth watching CSI: Crime Scene Investigation's grand finale) Wasn't that an awesome site to watch the moon. This pictures are on our local news' Facebook Page. Harley tried to take pictures but her camera just couldn't capture the images like this one. The kids found this to be a fascinating occurrence. I can remember how much Richard liked these kinds of things. Darian regaled us with his space knowledge while we were outside. It was a perfect night for viewing at our house. Not a cloud in the sky. The stars were magnificent!


I am linking with Peggy at The Simple Woman's Blog. Let's see how many of the ladies we can visit today.

 


 
 




****************************


22 comments:

  1. Ya, that lunar eclipse was pretty neat! Even at that hour it was annoyingly warm outside, but I had a thrill imagining my friends and family watching the same thing at the same time.

    These senseless murders of peace officers make me sick to my stomach. At least, thank God, the others were able to take this guy out. That's probably a day your Justin will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a day that none of us will forget I'm sure! Thanks for your support Myra!

      Delete
  2. uneventful is wonderful in it's own right! Praying for peace for your son and for his friends family. How awful! We are having the whole exterior of our house redone. So I am looking at Spring yard projects too. I like flower pot art and might play around with some tower ideas. I think your own personality could really shine through on that type project ! Have a great week !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the totems would be fun! I'll share pictures. Hope you will too!

      Delete
  3. I can't believe you haven't been to Starbucks :) I think that is a good thing :) When we lived in Southern California there was literally a Starbucks on every corner. That was a bad thing :)

    That was a pretty impressive eclipse last night. We sat and watched it for about an hour; awesome!!

    That is so sad about your son's police officer friend. We helped out at a 1st responders event in our community yesterday. It was the first one a group sponsored, but hope to do it yearly to honor those who serve.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, never!! We haven't had one here in my town but for the past few years. And it is sooooo expensive. But I am ready to try it. Yes, impressive eclipse.! Thank you Betty for your support of peace officers everywhere!!

      Delete
  4. Love your attitude about getting things done. I'll say a big amen to that!! I didn't see the eclipse in person as we had clouds but got to see it through people on Periscope from places around the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! I have to just let it go sometimes!!

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry to read about your son's friend. I'm not sure police officers get over losing one of their own. They move on, certainly, but it changes them. My husband was a police officer and his best friend was shot during an armed robbery of a hospital pharmacy. I have never had a pumpkin spice latte. Hope you like it. Moon-watching was fun last night, wasn't it? And . . . I don't have to decorate for Halloween. I AM the witch! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right in that it changes them. I am sorry for your husband's best friend! I bought some of the pumpkin spice creamer at the store and it's not that good. So maybe I don't want one from Starbucks! I am the WITCH! at my house too.

      Delete
  6. In the catholic tradition I will raise Brian up in prayer. "Eternal rest grant upon him O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him".

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great totem pole. And awesome Halloween decor. I'm still making spiders (now two more nephews want them).

    That's a terrible story about Brian. I'm glad they caught the culprit. Why people do such things...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those spiders would be very cute in my bay window along with my pumpkin and corn on the cob....they are both scary ones. Thank you for your thoughts on Brian

      Delete
  8. Oh that blood moon was spectacular last night, wasn't it? Definitely a cool thing to experience. I haven't yet watched the CSI finale but plan to within the next day or so.
    I don't decorate for Halloween: I turn out the lights and pretend not to be home! With all the dogs it's just feasible to be answering the door every minute. But I can appreciate others who decorate. I enjoy seeing what others do in their front yards.
    Those totem poles were very creative! Fun!

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do much in the way of decorating. More inside the house than outside. Richard loved to decorate outside. We don't have but a few trick or treaters here!

      Delete
  9. Hi Paula - the blood moon was amazing - it disappeared over the flats and I'm afraid I didn't get dressed and go and watch - should have done. Perhaps some one in my dotage will carry me outside for the next one - or it won't be at 2.45 - 3.30 in the early morning!

    I hope you can get done all you need to ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky that here it was between 9:00 and 10:00 p.m. We would have missed it had it been in the middle of the night. Thanks Hilary!

      Delete
  10. I wish we could have seen the lunar eclipse, it was just way to cloudy here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that stinks! It was pretty cool to watch!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!