Sunday, September 20, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook-September 21st Edition

For Today... 

Today, Monday, September 21, 2015. Fourteen months since the love of my life left this world for a better place. The hurt never goes away for long. I miss him every single day!


Outside my window...

Outside my window it is very dark right now. It is Sunday night as I sit and write for this week. It is currently 75* outside. Last night we saw low's in the 50's. Yes, fall is here!


I am thinking...

I am thinking about the kids' going to the Fair on Wednesday night to see For King and Country and the Newsboys. These are both Christian Rock bands. Darian had his picture taken with Joel Smallbone, the lead singer of For King and Country.


Darian and Joel Smallbone
 



















I am thankful...

I am thankful we had a beautiful day to go to the Kansas State Fair today. The high was 83* Calm, clear blue skies.



Fried Joy!


The Midway






Pogo Fred








Water park




Enjoying a Pronto Pup


Checking out what he bought


Harley's favorite car




 
Riding in from the parking lot
 I enjoyed sitting in the Fair's park people watching while the kids traveled around the midway. They rode rides and played games. Darian ate an MRE! He enjoyed stopping those who were wearing a Veteran's hat or shirt and shaking their hands and saying "Thank you for your service." This boy makes me so proud.








 


I am wearing...

Believe it or not I am not wearing black yoga pants. I am wearing black pants with a grey tee shirt.


I am creating...

As is my usual weekly creation...this blog post and my weekly menu. And reliving my visit to the fair.


I am going...

I am going to spend tomorrow doing laundry. Duh! It's Monday!! Ha! Ha! Remember when Monday used to be laundry day? And do you remember when we ironed everything?? I learned how to iron by my mom giving us handkerchiefs and pillowcases. Can you imagine ironing a pillowcase now??


I am wondering...







This is Harley's henna tattoo she got at the Kansas State Fair. It is supposed to fade to the henna color and last a month. How many of you think it will??


 









 







 
I am reading...

Currently, I am reading One Plus One by JoJo Moyes. So far I am liking it!
 


I am hoping...

I am hoping the cooler weather continues now for the month of October. No freezing yet! Just nice cool 70's-80's will be okay. I have some outside things I want to get accomplished before the snow starts to fly.

 


What I learned at the Fair...




Harley and I are standing in front of the Monkey Shine Booth at the fair. When I was a sophomore in high school, many years ago, my mom let me take a week off from school to work in this booth. I don't remember how much I was paid. But I do remember that after a week of dipping ice cream in chocolate and rolling it in nuts I never wanted to see another Monkey Shine Bar. Darian ate one. Harley and I passed.


In my garden...

Can you imagine growing this baby in your garden? This was at the Kansas State Fair. I wonder how many pumpkin pies we could make!




 

State's largest pumpkin ever 1034 lbs.




















 
In my kitchen...

Monday...Grilled cheese & Tomato Soup

Tuesday...Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup

Wednesday...Mexican Chili with Cornbread Topping

Thursday...Homemade Pizza

Friday...Italian Sausage Subs

Saturday...Spaghetti and garlic bread

Sunday...Hamburgers on the grills & Pasta Salad
 


 


A favorite quote for today...


 


















A peek into our week...

Monday...School and Debate Practice
Tuesday...School and Darian is going to judge at a Novice debate out of town
Wednesday...School and church
Thursday...school and Marine babies
Friday...School and Darian starts a weekend debate here
Saturday...Darian debates here in town.
Sunday...Day of rest, I hope.


One of my favorite things...



One of my favorite things is watching reality TV. It is mindless. I don't have to pay close attention. We are starting on Dancing with the Stars. I haven't picked a favorite yet. I enjoyed Paula Deen. She is so controversial. Gary Busey is a train wreck. And the winner will probably be Bindi Irwin. Do you watch? Thankfully Big Brother is about to end. This season has brought me more stress than relaxation. I don't want Vanessa to win!! And now it's time for Survivor. Other favorite TV shows getting ready to start are Scandal, How To Get Away with Murder and The Good Wife. What are your favorite new fall shows.

Let's join Peggy at The Simple Woman's Blog this week and see what the other ladies are up to!

***********************************************
 
 


 
 



31 comments:

  1. That concert should be a fun one! I have seen both, and they are awesome! Fun times at th fair you had! Hope you have great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big Dancing With the Stars fan. Other than that I seldom watch scheduled TV. I watch On Demand or Netfix or Amazon. Right now I am watching Person of Interest episodes. I just finished all the older seasons of Hannibal and all of Falling Skies. My husband and I are working our way through Columbo. That is a hoot to watch for all the old time stars and the older fashions, but I also love knowing who did what right at the bringing and watch Columbo peek away at the bad guy until he catches him.i also like scandle but never catch it in "real" time. I totally adore Sons of Anarckie which was a total shock to me because I am on into biker anything. But the story was compelling.

    Generally I like to watch a series by seeing 2 or 3 episodes a night until it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am never again going to comment using my iPad. My previous comment was filled with so many typos that I barely understood it and I wrote it. Hope you got passed all of that.😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have watched every episode of Person of Interest. Love John! My brother watcher the Sons of Anarchy! I never got around to watching. I was able to understand every single word of your post. Spell check is wonderful isn't it?? Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. It's just after 5 here and my mouth 's watering for some of that so - bad but soooo good Fair food! (Well, maybe not the MRE!) That's so neat about Darian thanking the vets for their service. (Wow!) Imagine the surprise and joy they must have felt! I gotta get ready and hit the road now; have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He thought the MRE was wonderful. Yes, Fair food is the best. The smells were wonderful. I stuck with just a Proto pup though! I witnessed the faces of a couple of those Vets. They did beam!!

      Delete
  5. I think learning the art of debate should be standard curriculum. Good for Darian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Joanne. Except when he uses it to debate an issue with me!!

      Delete
  6. That was a big pumpkin! I think it was neat your mom let you take the week off from school to work the fair; a great experience indeed! I heard at Baskin and Robbins ice cream shops (this was years ago so it might have changed) they let new employees have all the free ice cream they want. Usually after a week they are "sick" of it and don't want to have any more. Cool concert for the kids; great line up! The fair did seem like a fun thing to go to; I like it when it is cooler weather to roam around rather when it is hot and sticky out.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good experience. I never wanted to work there again though!! Dealing with people at a Fair can be trying!! That is a good policy at the ice cream store. Will keep them out of it probably!!

      Delete
  7. Hi Paula - memories are treasures and will continue with us. The kids are great - and they both look like they're having loads of fun ... it's cooled right down here and we have wet! - oh gosh worse than I thought ... now I look out! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary. We had a good time. I hope your weather improves

      Delete
  8. Ohhh Pronto Pups! I so miss going to the fair!! I was really, really hoping we'd get there this year, but I've set my sights on next year now. What awesome photos, and a great memory for Darian! I still love the smell of ironed pillowcases, reminds me of sleepovers at my grandparents house, and yes, I still iron them on occasion just for that smell! :)
    Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Proto Pups are the best. I hope you get to come next year!!

      Delete
  9. How fun to read that you went to the State Fair. Yea! You get to ride in from the parking lot? That's awesome! The henna is pretty. GN likes to get that from time to time, also. Your grands look like they were having a good day! Looks like you jave a busy week ahead of you with their schedules! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we get to ride in and ride back out. Got us pretty close to our car. Much better than all that walking. I must try to get in better shape!!

      Delete
  10. HI Paula!! Remember me???!!! First of all, what on earth is an MRE? You have got my curious now, and Darian must be very brave! I love the photos, and every time I see you in them, it makes me smile! I absolutely LOVE The Newsboys, they came here a few years ago and my kids went and dang it all, I should have gone with them. I listen to them a lot. My mother in law LOVES to iron, she ironed my clothes when she was here. She also irons underwear, she believes it kills germs etc....She also irons the top half of her sheets. I don't mind ironing, but I don't like it that much! I like Harley's henna, I hope it lasts as they said it will, it looks really cool. As for TV shows, we only just got cable after not having it for 7 years, and I am seeing lots of stuff I don't ever want to see, but don't really have a favorite show. I do like Property Brothers mind you.... I still can't believe you are not wearing yoga pants ;P Sending you big hugs! I have missed you so much, but now I am back to pester you, once I get my chores done during the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my friend! Long time! MRS's are military packaged meals. Stands for Meals-Ready to Eat! We don't iron much here anymore. Harley just told me yesterday that she wants to learn. What??? I love Property Brothers too. Wish they would come to my home. And for more than re-modeling. Hubba bubba!! LOL

      Delete
  11. I wanted Johnny Mac to win Big Brother. Now, I want anyone but Vanessa to win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was cheering for James. But I will be okay with anyone but Vanessa too!

      Delete
  12. You'll have to keep us updated as to the status of the henna tattoo.

    I'm just happy to have something to watch. It's been a lean couple of weeks for TV. Oh, I'm happy that Doctor Who is back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tattoo is fading pretty fast. I don't think it will last a month. Maybe a week!!

      Delete
  13. If last night was any indication then Bindi or perhaps the Marine hero will win.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tattoo will come off or fade. Its just fun stuff they have at those places for the kids. I think its cute. But in case it doesn't come off... take a pic and show us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun at the fair!! Love them. I had to laugh at the note about ironing. I hardly ever iron anymore but I still remember my mother standing in the kitchen ironing everything after she sprinkled them with her sprinkling bottle of water. She even ironed my dad's shorts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom used to sprinkle her clothes too! And roll them up tight in the laundry basket. Ah those were the days!!

      Delete
  16. What fun! 14 months, eh? You must be a strong woman. My father passed away when I was 25 and I saw how Mom struggled to find a norm afterwards. Thanks for sharing this fun post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grief is a struggle that we each will take at some time or another. Thanks for visiting Crystal!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!