Monday, September 14, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook September 14th Edition!

For Today...
 
Richard's family
Today is Monday, September 14, 2015. Today would have been Richard's mother's birthday. She was born in 1907 and would have been 108 years old today. She died in 2000, at the age of 93. Until the age of 93, she lived in her own home and took care of herself. Due to some mild dementia and anxieties about being on her own she  moved into an assisted living facility. She was just becoming adjusted when she fell and broke her hip. Sadly, following the hip repair surgery, she developed pneumonia and died. We miss you Grandma Beale and wish you a Happy Birthday today in Heaven! This picture of her, his dad, and two sisters was taken when Richard was 14. She was pregnant with a baby son at this time. (Surprise, surprise) She was a ginger-haired woman (as were Richard and the sister sitting next to her)with a sweet personality. A wonderful mother-in-law!
 


Outside my window...
 
 
Outside my window, fall is in the air. The bright, summery green of the cottonwoods are showing tinges of yellow. A light, cool breeze (62 degrees at this writing) sends a flurry of leaves dancing across the yard. The air has a crispness to it. Soon we will be wearing jackets.

 
leaves gathered for Thanksgiving table in 2008
 


















 
I am thinking...

I am thinking about how our lives are kind of like the seasons. I must be in my fall season.


I am thankful...




 













 
 
 


I am creating...

I am creating this post and my weekly menu plan is under way! All the creativeness I can muster right now. What are you creating?


I am going...

I am going to start a new approach to getting things done. Lists! I used to make lists and I was much more productive then. I am going to try making to-do lists in my Happy Planner.


I am remembering...


 I am remembering the decorations at our house in the past. Richard loved these giant 'blow-ups'. He decorated the front yard every year.

The cat in the pumpkin is gone! Got a hole and wouldn't hold air any long. I still have the scarecrow, which was one of my favorites. I always wanted him in the garden.
 


I am reading...

I am reading The Shack by William Paul Young. It started out really good. And now I am struggling. Kind of a far fetched view on religion at the moment. Maybe it will come together for me soon. I have had people tell me they loved it. I have had people tell me they hated it. I have had some who couldn't even finish it! I'll let you know.
 


I am hoping...

I am hoping that reading this book isn't a waste of my time. I hate it when I waste my time reading a book that really turns out not to be that great. I usually just keeping reading, turning the pages, and hoping I will find a surprise at the end. What do you do when your interest in a book begins to lag?


I am memorizing...

Today begins the Do Not Depart group's memorization of Isaiah 12:1-6!

Isaiah 12:1

You will say in that day: "I will give thanks to you, O lord, for though you were angry with me, your anger turned away, that you might comfort me."


In my garden...

We are nearly finished in the garden. Not that there was ever much going on out there anyway. I am fighting off a ton of stickers in the yard this year. Richard used to use the dandelion digger and remove each one of them. If I were to do that I might be out there still when the first snowflakes started flying. There are a bunch of them.
 


In my kitchen...
Monday...Left over Mexican Chicken Chili

Tuesday...Easy Chicken Pot Pie

Wednesday...Kids going to Church at the Fair.

Thursday...Baked Tacos

Friday...Chili Dogs and French Fries

Saturday...Mozzarella Stuffed meatballs with spaghetti

Sunday...Crockpot Pepperoncini Shredded Beef Pasta Salad

( I have some repeats this week because I didn't make them last week).




A favorite quote for today...

 


















A peek into my week...

This week we have Debate practice today for Darian. I'll have to pick him up after. Tuesday he goes to the Kansas State Fair for the fair debates. Always a great learning experience. On Wednesday they are going with their church youth group to hear the Christian rock bank, Newsboys!! On Thursday another debate practice. Friday night Harley is handing out programs at the football game. She has joined FCCLA (Family, Career and Community Leaders of America) and that is one of their projects. Saturday is Darian's first debate tournament. (Good luck Darian and Braden)! Justin and Paige will be over and the kids will go to the fair. (Haven't yet decided whether granny will be there too) And finally a day of rest on Sunday!!


One of my favorite things...

One of my favorite things is caramel apples. Eating a caramel apple always reminds me of a special time when I was a child. We had a teacher at our grade school who took a special interest in our family. I remember her taking me shopping one afternoon in the fall. I got a new pair of shoes and a caramel apple. I think it was the first time I had ever eaten a caramel apple. I always remember her when caramel apples are advertised in the fall. RIP Mrs. Neal! I don't eat caramel apples anymore (thanks to fragile teeth) but I like to slice them and dip them into melted caramel. Yum!! Fall is in the air!
 


From old photographs....




The kids and Papa at the Kansas State Fair in 2011. This photo was taken the day before he had a stroke. We had a great day at the Fair!!

 
 


Post Script...

Another memory from that day. The kids visiting the KWCH TV station booth at the Fair. Look how young they were!!
2011







Peggy's at The Simple Woman's Blog has the September link up. I think I'll go visit some of the other ladies. Won't you join me??
****************************





17 comments:

  1. Your menu sounds great! Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' these pictures! ... in particular, the autumn leaves are intoxicating! I'm hoping we might take a road trip up north in the coming weeks to catch the trees 'changing clothes.' :)

    'Not that I'm such a great authority on reading anymore, but if a book doesn't catch my interest by the first 30-40 pages, I'll take it back. Life's too short!

    Thanks for providing a link for those Mozzarella Stuffed meatballs. That looks like something I could enjoy with no guilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome. Let me know what you think of them! This will be my first time to make them myself. But anything with Mozzarella cheese has to be good, huh?

      Delete
  3. I tried to read The Shack but couldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May I ask what it was about the book that made you stop reading it?

      Delete
  4. Great quote!!! love it. That photo of Richard at 14 is so sweet! Happy birthday to his mom in Heaven from me, too. Sounds like you are busy with the grands. It goes like that, right? And the reading rule my sis and I have for reading goes like this: 100 minus your age. That's how many pages to read before you get to give up on a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that many in this book so far. It's not that I want to give up. It is just that I am finding it a bit unbelievable! I'm hoping it will all come together for me. Yes, Richard at 14 was sweet!! As you know, these grands can keep us very busy!

      Delete
    2. Oh gosh! I used 'you' when I meant 'we' as in my sis and me. I fell into that linguistic trap of the wrong pronoun. Sorry for how that read! The book does have that unbelievable quality you mentioned.

      Delete
  5. Funny you should mention cottonwoods. I was at work yesterday (my PRN job) and I always park under these two big cottonwoods. I went out at lunch, sat in my car, opened the windows and enjoyed a book, and the cool breeze. Cottonwoods always have that soft rattling, and I looked up and saw gold and thought--fall!!!! Thanks for making me think of it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it will be here soon. How is life treating you Lisa?

      Delete
  6. 62 degrees! I am so jealous. Today it finally cooled off a bit for us--our high was 84. And it's supposed to warm up again later in the week. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll wait until you finish The Shack to say why I didn't finish it. I couldn't quite understand why everyone thought it was such a great book. How exciting for the kids to get to see The Newsboys! I like a lot of their music! What a sweet picture of Richard's family! I know on average if a hasn't caught my attention in the first few chapters, I usually end up not finishing it. That's why I'm really careful about either getting free books or library books so I don't spend money on something I don't finish.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hard time not finishing any book that I start. Can't wait to hear what you think. They are excited about The Newsboys!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a very full week for you. I couldn't get by without lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if I can just remember where I put that list!!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!