Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge


Today is the last Wednesday of August. Tomorrow will be the kids first day of school. Today I am joining Joyce at From This Side of the Pond for the Wednesday Hodgepodge. Care to join us?
She provides the prompts; we give our answers!!

Ready, set, Go!


 1. It's hard to believe, but next week's Hodgepodge will find us in the month of September. What's one thing you want, need, or hope to do still before summer officially ends?

At our house, summer officially ends tomorrow. The first day of school is the beginning of fall. I know that is not what the calendar says. But it is what I say. And at my house what I say goes! I don't have anything I want to do before summer is over. All the plans I have will still work next week. What about you? Anything you are wanting to do yet this summer?


 2. When were you last at 'your wit's end'?


Oh my! This is hard. I am at my wit's end all the time. I am going to say Saturday night. I was trying to talk to Darian about why it is not a great idea to leave his 'cords' (lap top charger, phone charger, etc.) stretched across his bedroom floor and then walk on them. He wants to 'argue' with me. (Damn that debate class). The more I tried to rationalize the outcome of doing this, the more he argued that he wasn't walking on the cords. After the battle was over (if battles like this are ever really over) I wondered why I was arguing with him. Let him learn the lesson the hard way. If the cords become unable to work then HE buys new cords. Save the arguments for things that really matter. Why is that so hard for parents (grand or otherwise) to learn. I come from a generation of 'do as I say because I said so!


 3. Describe a time you were figuratively thrown into 'the deep end'?



I don't know if I would call this 'figuratively'....when 2 little kids, ages 8 and 10, showed up on my doorstep, needing a home, I felt as if I was being thrown in the deep end. Thrown to the wolves. Asked to do something I'd already done. Taking on a task I really didn't want to do. And to make it work for all of us. For several months after that day I walked through a fog. I did what I had to do! Would I do it again? Absolutely. But I would be better prepared. Wouldn't I?


 4. Does the end always, ever, or never justify the means? Explain.

Well....I think this depends! I know, I know! That wasn't one of the possibilities. But it should have been. Because there just isn't any one answer to this question. I think it depends on the end. And what it takes you to get there. Is it legal? Is it honest? Is it good? If one is trying out for a certain position in a company and you lie about other candidates to make yourself look best then the end is NOT justified by the means. To me! Others may think that all is fair in love and war. I don't happen to be one those people. All is not fair if it hurts someone else. Right? I fall into the belief that it is never justified to do something bad in order to gain something good. So I guess I am going to stick with that. If it is illegal, immoral, dishonest, or bad then the end never justifies the means. Are you thoroughly confused yet????



 5. What makes your hair stand on end?


This expression means, to me, what scares me so badly that my hair would 'figuratively' stand on it's end. Only one thing comes to mind. And that is mice. Mice scare me to death. (just an expression, friends). But I do feel as if I am going to die when I see, hear, or think about mice. I am terrified! Hope I don't see any mice anytime soon. 


 6. I read an article on the website 
Eat This! Health, that listed 11 foods we can eat to help end bad moods. Basically it's a feed your brain so you're less anxious, grouchy and lethargic. The foods are-mussels, swiss chard, blue potatoes, grass fed beef, dark chocolate, greek yogurt, asparagus, honey, cherry tomatoes, eggs, and coconut. Which of those do you think would most help end your own bad mood? Which do you fear, if forced to eat, would put you into a bad mood?

Some grass-fed beef, along with steamed asparagus, would end my bad mood right now. I also love honey, cherry tomatoes, eggs, Greek yogurt,  and coconut. Not a fan, at all, of dark chocolate. Don't know why anyone would chose to eat that when milk chocolate is available. I do not like mussels at all!! Not a fan of Swiss chard! And I have never heard of blue potatoes. So I am pretty sure, if someone is forcing me to eat any of those things, I would be in a bad mood.


 7. What project around your home, office, or life in general feels like there is 'no end in sight'?


This one is easy for me. It has to be Darian's bedroom. Before Richard died last year I was making Darian's bedroom more his! It had been Richard's office. The walls were painted and wallpapered in a golf theme. Darian is not into golf. So I stripped the wallpaper and spackled the blemishes. And then Richard took a turn for the worse and I never got the paint on the walls. That was a year ago. I don't know why I am having such a hard time finishing this project. But I am. I have to buy the paint, open it, give it a stir, and dip in a brush. How hard can that be???


 8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Speaking of my beloved Richard. It has now been 13 months since he left us. I still miss him everyday. Just the other day I saw someone at the store that I hadn't seen in quite awhile and my first thought was "wait until I tell Richard." Whoa! That took me by surprise. I miss him. But the grief is not as horrifying as it once was. I am making it through full days without crying once. I am healing. I am moving forward. (Maybe there is hope yet to get that room painted.)

26 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your answers. We had basically the same answer on #4. This is my first time visiting, I will be back when I have time to look at your other posts. You will get that room painted, I totally understand the hesitation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nel. I am off to see you! Come back anytime!

      Delete
  2. Paula Kaye, it is so good to meet you today and thanks for stopping by my blog. And, thanks for the compliment about not looking old enough to be married 50 years. Well, I am and then some. Hubby and I married at 20 and 25 so its been a ride. I am so sorry to read about the death of your Richard. I know how difficult it was to lose my mother ten years ago and cannot imagine the loss of a mate. It sounds like you are getting into a good place though and that is definitely a sign of healing. I have a feeling you will be opening that can pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to meet you Elizabeth! Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  3. Nice answers. Hope the painting goes well for you. My step daughter Sarah started school today. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had basically the same answer to #4. I have never heard of blue potatoes, either. Glad to meet you Paula Kaye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about mice, Paula. Anything that scrambles around that fast sends shivers up my spine. I bet you'll get Darian's room painted so very soon :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I imagine there is a lot of emotion and memory tied up in that room, and that when you're ready you'll finish painting. Take as much time as you need.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One thing is certain....sooner or later that room will get painted

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you on #4. That is a question that you can't give an "always" or "never" answer to.

    Never argue with a teenager. They think they're right, and no amount of reasoning is ever going to get them to believe otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have thought I learned that the first time around, wouldn't you have?

      Delete
  9. Bring on that grass-fed beef and asparagus! (Sorry, you lost me at yogurt and cherry tomatoes.) To answer your question, I'd probably opt for the coconut ... on account I could really gnash my molars on a hunk of that sweet raw meat... and hopefully rid myself of some stress at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You don't like yogurt OR cherry tomatoes?

      Delete
  10. Yumm- give me some of that grass fed beef right now! I love steak. I love coconut too! I like potatoes but have never had a blue potato. I would probably like it because I haven't met a potato yet I didn't like. LOl
    Wished we lived closer. I would totally come over and we would paint Darian's room together. You should make it a party. Let Darian pick out the color paint and the 3 of yall tackle it all it once. It doesn't have to be perfect- its only paint. Then have some snacks and some fun breaks in between.
    Big Big Hugs to you sweet friend. I cant imagine how hard it is to be missing Richard.
    Oh and Snakes do it for me! I hate snakes and they freak me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That would be fun to have you here helping me paint. I should just open the can and hand them a paint brush. But I think I am too much of a type A personality to do that. It DOES have to be perfect. LOL! You've given me an idea. The color has been picked for a year. A beautiful grey!!

      Delete
  11. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, yesterday. I enjoyed reading all of your answers, and could definitely identify with your "talk" with your grandson about the cords in the floor. It brought back so many memories of trying to "tell" our sons things at that age. It turned out experience was the best teacher of all :(
    It's good that you are able to move forward following the death of Richard, and I do hope things continue to get better and better for you. God bless!
    Kathy (from Reflections by Kathy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! And I am happy you visited today!

      Delete
  12. I like your hodgepods. I can't believe September is in also. Just too soon, but I do love Fall. I wonder if we will get one this year in So. Cal.? Its 100 degrees right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only 82 here in Kansas! Crazy how the weather goes, isn't it?

      Delete
  13. Enjoyed reading your answers. The room will get done when you're ready. I'm glad to hear you are finding it easIER to get through the days. It will never be EASY but time does lessen the grief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be right that time will lessen the grief! And yes, the room will get done when it gets done.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!