Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge


Hello friends! One more week and school starts. Most of the schools in our area are already in progress. This summer flew right away over night. And it took the hot days with it. This morning was 59*! And cloudy. And dreary!(I'm finishing this in the early evening. The sun came out and it was a beautiful but cool day today). We'll just wait until tomorrow....90's are returning.
Now off to answer the prompts that Joyce From This Side of the Pond has for this weeks Wednesday Hodgepodge.


 1. Way back when (the Hodgepodge bicentennial to be precise) several of you submitted questions as part of a giveaway I was hosting. I went back to that list for inspiration today and found a question  submitted by Marla, who blogs over at Marla's Musings. Thanks Marla!

She asks-At what age did you feel like a 'grown-up'? What keeps you young now? 


Oh What a good question. At what age did I feel like a grown up! I think when I picked up my first cigarette and puffed away, I thought "oh how grown up do I look now?" NOT! 
But the REAL reality of being grown up is when I had to figure out how I was going to pay the rent, the utilities, and buy groceries out of ONE paycheck. Remember?? That will grow you up really, really fast.  

2. When did you last buy a vehicle? Was this by design or because you had no other option? Was the car/truck purchased for your own personal use or was it bought for someone else to drive? On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being delightful and 1 being 'pass the Excedrin') how would you rate the experience?


My car is a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora. We got it in the summer of 2000! It has more than 120,000 miles on it. I didn't do the wheeling and dealing for this car so I can't rate the experience. I hate that part of buying something. Why can't they just put the price on the sticker they will accept and we pay that price. I am not very good at bargaining!


 3. Corn bread, corn chips, corn pudding, corn on the cob, cornflakes, corn chowder-your favorite of the corn-y foods listed? What needs to be served alongside your selection?


I love all of those corn-y foods. Well, maybe not corn pudding. I haven't had that, to my knowledge. Corn on the cob needs lots of butter with salt/pepper. And corn chowder, yummy yum yum! I don't really like cornflakes. I take that "love" back, I guess. I don't like any kind of cereal that gets soggy in milk. But a big slab of cornbread with my beans makes Paula a happy girl!


 4. What's something in your life that regularly requires you to 'put your thinking cap on'?


I have to put my thinking cap on for many things in my life. Meal planning is one of them. Lately, though, I have turned that over to Darian and Harley. They come up with such simple meals. That I like! Maybe I have been over-thinking the process all along.


 5. Share a favorite movie set in a school or classroom, or whose theme relates to school days in some way.


I'm not big into the movies so I have no movies here to share!


 6. Reading, writing, and 'rithmatic' are commonly referred to as the three R's. What are the three R's in your life right now?


My three R's right now are: Reality, relaxing, road kill! LOL! Those are some good R's. Have you noticed all the road-kill on the roads lately? Seems like I can't drive a block without seeing a dead skunk, opossum, raccoon, or squirrel. I am not sure what the reason for this is. Many of these animals coming into town to eat? Or just too many of these animals? I see a few deer too. But those are mostly outside of town. Reality! Reality is my life. And reality TV. I admit: My name is Paula and I am a reality TV addict! I am watching Big Brother and Marriage Boot Camp right now. Both dumb shows but I don't have to do much more than shake my head at how really dumb reality TV can be. Do you watch? And relaxing! That is what I am going to do for a few days as soon as school starts! Can't wait!




 7. What's something you've learned or tried recently you can say was as 'easy as ABC'?


I can't say anything has been as easy as ABC around here recently! I am anxious to go see what the other Hodgepodge-er's think!


 8. Insert your own random thought here.


Both of these kiddos, who live here, need new school clothes this year. Why do kids have to have these growth spurts? Harley is probably a full size bigger than she was last year. And she has surpassed (in size) my friend's daughter. We used to get her hand-me-downs. But now they don't fit. I just took two huge garbage bags (full of very nice clothes) to a friend for her girls. Good thing we have them to hand down too. Darian hasn't so much as out- grown, but he wore his jeans out with the mowing business this summer. So I'm off to buy a few new school clothes.

14 comments:

  1. Reading all this wonderful stuff from your life, I came away with a great longing for CORNBREAD! Go figure.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! A giant piece of cornbread dripping with lots of butter! Yum!

      Delete
  2. Corn on the cob with lots of butter and salt and pepper- Thats the ONLY way girlie!!!
    Did you guys have your picnic? How did it go?
    I am also just coming in from being outside on my patio. I got a new patio love seat cushion and pillows and tonight is the first night to sit on them. Its been too blasted hot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No picnic yet for us. The weather has been a tad miserable! Maybe Friday! We are crossing our fingers

      Delete
  3. Super entertaining post, Paula!
    You're right. I'd quite forgotten how it felt, the first time I was able to step out in public and smoke w/o choking and turning red. (Thank you Nancy S. for all those long 'lessons' sitting atop the trash can in the ladies room at West Texas Utilities - lol). There's nothing like the feeling you're an honest-to-goodness siren (in waiting).

    ... and so true about car shopping. (Ugh.) Why doesn't everyone just be DONE with the b.s. and lay his/her cards out on the table. I hope my '05 Camry lasts the rest of my natural life, because I'd rather have a root canal than deal w/ car salespeople ever again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Myra! Glad I could entertain you. That is my mission. LOL!! Nope I never will wheel and deal for a car again either. I'll have to send my son. Or a brother!

      Delete
  4. Hum. I think I felt "grown up" when I got my 1st full time job. - I bought one vehicle, my 1979 Mustang. I worked at the dealership. Had it made just like I wanted. Knew I only had to pay $100 over cost. - I've lost my taste for corn, except in cornbread. Love it baked and hot water bread that is fried. - My thinking cap comes out for budgeting my money each week! - I've seen lots of school related movies over the years, but I'm no good at remembering the names of them! - Hum. R's respect, remembering, relaxing - I learned recently that I could update my operating system myself successfully! - Random thought: I have gotten to where I rely on Spell check WAY too much!!!
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A full time job does make you become a grown up, doesn't it. Our car was custom for us as well. Thanks for answering all the prompts here Barbara. I enjoyed your answers!! Yes, we do depend upon spellcheck at bit much! I am thankful for it!!

      Delete
  5. We do see occasionally road kill here. One particular road within 50 feet of each other were possum I think; hope they weren't related. Kids have a way of doing that, growing :) It got so bad shopping with son his last few years of school I just gave him money, told him what was not expected and sent him on his own (he did pretty good). I think I felt grown up when I had a baby to take care of and realized I was "it" if they were going to get anything that they needed :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, mam, having a baby to take care of grew me up fast too!

      Delete
  6. Interesting the "grown-up" answers. I still don't feel "grown-up".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's simple. I "felt" grownup when I was smoking. And I wasn't growing up until I had to pay my own bills.

      Delete
  7. Check out your local thrift stores. They have some great clothes. Also if you have a Plato's closet nearby the kids will love it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thrift shops here are Goodwill and Salvation Army and they don't have much in teen things.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!