Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge

Last week we took a break from the Wednesday Hodgepodge while our host, Joyce at From This Side of the Pond moved. This week the hodgepodge is back and here are the prompts:



 1. When was the last time you relocated? Did you move yourself or leave it to the professionals? Are you happy staying put or is there a move in your future? Best thing about moving to a new city or town? Least favorite and/or hardest thing about moving house?

We have lived in this house for 27 years. That is a long, long time to live in the same house. If I were to move I need a good purge to get rid of 27 years of accumulation. I have loved living in this house but I am ready to let go of it. I would like to move into a house with a smaller yard. I would like less floor space too. So I have been on the lookout. It is not something I will do quickly. The house I find has to be the perfect small home for me to live in the rest of my life. And of course I have to sell this one for the perfect price. I think I will stay in the same town. But maybe not. I might move to a smaller town too. Time will tell!


 2. When were you last 'moved to tears'? Explain.


This is easy! I was last moved to tears just yesterday. I was scrolling through my phone and came upon this snip of a video. I wish I had made more than one video of hearing his voice. I love to play this over and over. (He had had a hefty dose of Morphine just before this recording) It will forever be precious to me. And to all of you who are reading....don't forget, along with pictures, to record audio/videos of your loved ones. They will be priceless to you when this person is gone from our earth.




(To those who might be reading and not know this is my husband. He died on July 21, 2014).





 3. Do you have rules about eating in the car...any forbidden foods? What's the last thing you consumed in your car? Your go-to car snack when traveling long distance?


There are no rules for eating in the car in this house. There are no forbidden foods. The last food I ate in the car was French fries from McDonald's after grabbing hamburgers for lunch. Who can wait until you get home with that smell wafting through the car?

4. Share a favorite song relating to cars and/or driving.

I have a few songs that remind me of being in the car with my mom. And lots of music that reminds me of traveling with my kids. But this song, right now, is one of my favorites of recent years that relates to a car. Love George Strait!!



 





5. What's your most frequently visited drive-thru...Starbucks? the bank? the pharmacy? some other window?

I drive through Taco Bell more than anywhere else in town. A taco salad and Nachos Grande! Yum!


 6. "He who hesitates is lost"...would you agree? When it comes to making decisions do you generally act quickly or do you more often than not fall into the 'lost' category?


I do NOT make decisions quickly. I have to think things over. In fact, sometimes, I take so long thinking about something that it never gets done. Like painting Darian's bedroom. I need to just go pick up a gallon of paint and quit talking about it. The poor kid's bedroom has been spackled and ready for a year now!


7. When was the last time you got lost? Was it stressful or an unexpected happy adventure?

It has been quite a number of years since I was last lost. We had taken a small road trip with our 'adopted' daughter, Heather and her husband Marvin. This was before any of us had cell phones. For some reason, I can't even remember now, we took 2 cars. Maybe we met them there. I don't know. Our road trip took us to Abilene, Kansas. We ate at The Brookville Hotel. (If you ever come to Kansas this is an eating establishment that should be on your itinerary. Home style cooking,


The original in Brookville, Kansas


The new restaurant in Abilene, Kansas
 
served family style. Best eating around) Anyhow when we left the restaurant Richard got in the car with Marvin and I drove our car with Heather. We were going to follow Marvin home. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't know directions. Not North from South. Not East from West. And I'm not very good at following road signs. (after this incident, I became much better). The guys took off and I soon lost sight of Marvin's car. But we kept talking and driving. And talking and driving. Until pretty soon I was confident that we were VERY lost. And that is not a feeling I ever want to repeat. Now.. .I would just pick up my cell phone, call Marvin, and get back on track. But we had to find a way off the interstate. Find a town with someone who could direct us home. It was beyond stressful! I think if you have never been truly lost you cannot identify that horribly, helpless feeling I had that night, on a dark interstate, having no idea where I was. Whew! It was stressful just now, reliving it!!
 


8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I am so excited. I am planning a picnic. I even took a chance and told the kids about it. (You know how sometimes what you think sounds fun isn't what a teen thinks is fun?) They both are excited too. So on Tuesday we are going to pack Grandma Beale's old picnic basket full of goodies and head down to the park. Harley and I are going to take along a book. Darian wants to take his fishing gear! I'll let you know how it goes. Sounds like a good way to finish off summer, doesn't it?

24 comments:

  1. I love it with the idea of a picnic to "end" summer before the kids go back to school! When the kids were younger, sometimes we would have a breakfast picnic; I would bring cereal, milk, etc. Picnics are always so much fun!

    It is good to start thinking of what you want to do for a house if you want to downsize. I honestly think the older we get (I'm turning 58 this year), it is good to let go of stuff and get into something smaller and easier to manage. I think it frees up our minds and definitely our lives.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had mentioned something to them sooner. I really didn't think they would want to go on a picnic with their old granny but they do!! We should have fun.

      Delete
  2. I love a Taco Bell salad too! I feel it's the best thing to get when on the go. BUT... it's messy to eat in a car!! So, I usually bring it home and eat it at the kitchen table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never eat mine in the car either. Too messy!!

      Delete
  3. I love that George Strait song! I hope you have a great day picnicking : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. How precious to have these videos to pull out and remember someone so dear. Thanks for the good advice too. Enjoy your picnic with the boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had recorded him more often. And I would do anything to have my mom's voice! Thanks Elizabeth

      Delete
  5. That's such good advice about capturing our loved ones' on audio/video. A few years ago I was literally in tears when it occurred to me I couldn't recall my father's voice. (He's been gone since '81.) With today's cell phone technology there's really no excuse, is there?

    The last time I was really lost, we were in rural Alabama. Late night, Tom convinced me to take an unfamiliar road -- a shortcut! -- back to my son's house ... and it wasn't long before I swore I could hear banjo music (lol). Of course, there was no cell phone connectivity; so we couldn't alert anyone. Those back woods are seriously scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww that is so sad Myra. My dad died when I was almost 8 so I haven't remembered his voice ever! I wish I had thought to record Richard's voice more often. I am so glad to have this little snippet. And to have him telling me that he loves me is priceless!! Being lost IS scary!

      Delete
  6. I hope the weather is on your side for the picnic. It sounds like fun. I'm glad the kids are on board with it. The video of Richard is so sweet. Oh my goodness! What a sweet memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gram! I am glad that I have a snippet of his voice. It will sustain me when I need it to!

      Delete
  7. The other day I was at an In-N-Out drive thru, and I wondered if one day we'll get nostalgic for drive thrus. Of course, that supposes that something will supplant them. I expect something will, eventually. But will we then get nostalgic for waiting in a car line for food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never eat out if it wasn't for drive thrus. I am not a big fan of going in and sitting down and waiting for my food. I always order out to take home

      Delete
  8. A picnic does sound like the perfect end of summer vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I eat all the time in the car, in particular when I go to Starbucks. They have a drive through so I can get Murray his Puppuccino.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am the queen of drive thru's and eating in the car!! I'm always on the go but there are a few things I wont get if I'm driving. Its hard to eat tacos in the car so I get burritos or quesadillas.
    That snippet of Richard telling you he loves you is just too precious Paula! I know you are so happy to have that. I miss my granpas voice. I had a message from him on my first cell phone I got and I cried when it broke and they couldn't retrieve my messages.
    Take pictures and selfies at the picnic! It will be such fun making memories.
    Have a great day sweet friend! Oh and everyday is a good day for King George!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have made me cry too. If I were to lose this video I would be devastated. That is why I uploaded it to You Tube, have it on phone, and on my computer.

      Delete
  11. Your videos and photos must be so treasured. Moving house will be hard with all your memories but most of those will be taken with you in your heart. I hope you have a great picnic and the weather is kind to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! You are so right! The memories will go with me.

      Delete
  12. Enjoy your picnic Paula...it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!