Monday, August 3, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook-August 3 Edition

For Today...
 
Today is August 3, 2015. Yes, I said August! Can you believe it?? I do not know how to slow down time. If I could do that, and manage to bottle it, I think I could make a few bucks. Wouldn't you like to pull out a smidgen of "Paula's Slow Time" and apply it to your day? I know I would buy it by the case!


Outside my window...

It is dark. But the sky is clear. The stars are very close. There is no breezes. And it is still close to 90*. A perfect, normal summer night! The night before I post this for Monday morning.

 
 


I am thinking...
 
I am thinking about this upcoming month. School starts again on August 26th for us. Paige goes back on August 14th. I need to get a few items to finish the back to school supply shopping. But, for the most part, they have what they need. Now just to write the check for their fees and we are in good shape. I am actually looking forward to school starting and our routine becoming less erratic. The summer has been hectic for this old taxi driver.


I am thankful...
 
I am thankful for living in a country that allows me to be free. Free in my thinking. Free in what I say. Free in what I do. We need to be more thankful for what we have. And quit wanting what we don't have! I am working on just that.


I am listening to...

I am listening to Dateline ID. There are so many terrible things that happen in this world, isn't there? We have so much to be thankful for. The fact is there are others who are much worse off than we are.
 
 


I am creating...

I am having so much fun, so far, with decorating my Happy Planner. Just makes me happy. Maybe I'll show you a few pages soon!


I am going...

I am going to develop a schedule for us to start getting ready for going back to school. Harley will have to start going to bed earlier. She will have to be drug, kicking and screaming, out of bed once school starts. She loved to sleep in. Like to maybe 10 a.m. or 11 a.m. every morning. Darian, thank goodness gets up early without a fuss. He can barely stay up past 9 p.m. He is always ready to go to bed. Aren't teenagers and their sleeping styles funny?


I am loving...

I am loving this last few days before summer officially ends. We call summer over when school starts. And school starts here on August 26th. We need to plan a picnic in the park. How hard do you think that will be with two teens. We'll see!!


I am reading...

I am still reading The Girls From Ames.
 


I am hoping...

I am hoping to find a really, really good book for my next read. You know the kind. Where you force yourself to stay awake and read, just one more chapter. The kind where you can't stop thinking about it after you have put it down. The kind where you don't want the book to ever end. That is the kind I am looking for. Been awhile since I read a book that fit all that criteria.  


I am learning...

There is so much I am learning. When you lose your life partner, the one who took care of EVERYTHING for you, then you have to learn how to do things. Like check the oil in the car. Change the battery on the lawn mower. Scrape the paint off the back door. Clean out the dryer ducts. Change the furnace filters. Have I ever told you how spoiled and 'taken care' of I was? Well, I was. So spoiled. I miss you Richard!


In my garden...

Not much to talk about here. The geraniums are about all done in with the heat. I haven't had a single home-grown tomato yet. No cucumbers either. Guess I need to take a trip to our local vegetable store. None growing out in my garden. Next year, I promise!
 


In my kitchen...

Monday...Spaghetti! Just Darian and me at home tonight!

Tuesday...Chicken Fried Rice! How many weeks can something be on the menu before it gets cooked. This is the challenge

Wednesday...Honey Garlic Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Rice

Thursday...Hamburgers and French Fries

Friday...Old Fashioned Goulash

Saturday...Chicken Broccoli Supreme

Sunday...Baked Potato and Salad Bar
 


I am saying....

Here's what I'm saying! I'm saying that sometimes you just have to stick your head into the sand and ignore the things that are going on around you. Sometimes you just don't need to get involved. Sometimes it's just better to worry about yourself. That's what I'm saying!
 


A favorite quote for today...


 















 
A peek into one of my days...

This week my taxi driving days should be a bit easier. Darian is going to debate camp in the mornings, all week. He will ride with his friend. His friend will bring him home. I might have to take him to work in the afternoons. His boss says if they are nearby they will pick him up. Harley is spending a few days with Paige. I think she will be home by Wednesday. I know she is wanting to get in a few more days at the pool before school starts. So I might have to do a bit of taxiing. But it won't be as much as it has been all summer. I do need to make a trip to the grocery store. Probably Wednesday. And finish getting the yard mowed and trimmed. Maybe Monday. See how I fly by the seat of my pants. That's what you get to do when you don't work anymore. Oh, and I have to make a return trip to Tractor Supply store. I had to buy a new battery for the lawn mower. They charged me a $10.00 deposit until I return the old battery to them. What??? Never heard of such a thing. Oh well. Will do! $10.00 is a lot of money to me.


One of my favorite things...

One of my favorite things is fresh pineapple. Richard used to tease me that the reason I liked going on cruises so much was because there was always a lot of fresh pineapple on board. I am going to pick up a fresh pineapple this week. Yum. Or even better than that I should whip me up a batch of these:

 

Disneyland Dole Whips
Author: 
Recipe type: Dessert
Prep time: 
Total time: 
Serves: 3
 
Ingredients
  • 1 (16 oz) bag of frozen pineapple chunks (I used Dole)
  • 4 cups vanilla ice cream
  • 1 teaspoon lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 12 ounces pineapple juice
Instructions
  1. Puree frozen pineapple in a blender. It works best if it is about halfway thawed. To that, add the ice cream, lime juice, lemon juice, and half (6oz) of the pineapple juice. Blend together until it is well mixed.
  2. Freeze the mixture for about 2 hours to set up.
  3. Scoop into glasses or bowls and pour the remaining pineapple juice over each serving.
  4. We found it made about 3 servings, but you can easily double or cut the recipe in half.
Have you ever been to Disney and had one of these? OMG, all I can say is they are like a little piece of heaven in your mouth. So good! So refreshing! I am going to make them for sure!!












 
From the board room...

The only thing I have been doing lately on Pinterest is looking at planners and things for planners. You can visit my Planners board if you would like. Planners
 


Post Script

Do you use Goodreads? I can get lost there. And spend so much time seeing what everyone is reading. Reading reviews. Posting books to my to be read shelves. If you have an account I would love to add you to my friends list.



I will be linking with The Simple Woman's Blog. Go join Peggy and the gang for A Simple Woman's Monday!!
 




****************************

30 comments:

  1. A lot going on here. I can relate to checking the oil. I have no dryer, but my clothes lines kept falling down, so I was going to take care of that but my BIL did it without being asked. I find that Gratitude is one of the most important things to practise in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would trade you in a heartbeat my dryer for your clothesline! Well, probably until we had a couple of feet of snow on the ground. Then I would miss it. Gratitude is something so important to practice. I often forget how important that is.

      Delete
  2. August came in like a lion for us; school starts the 19th, and band is already in full swing for both girls. Soon I'll be going through more than a tank of gas a week, ferrying children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have anyone in band here. They both tried it for awhile and then gave it up. The only activity we have going on right now is Debate. Darian loves both debate and forensics.

      Delete
  3. Never heard of Good reads. I am reading The girl on the train. Its SOOO good. Have you read that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have read it. You will have to go check out Goodreads. It will be another place for you to waste time online! LOL

      Delete
  4. I did my back to school shopping this past weekend, I didn't have too much to get, thankfully! Please post pictures of your planner!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm posting pictures tomorrow Allison!

      Delete
  5. Thank you, I'll take a 6-pack of Paula's slow-down!
    Many of our schools started back today ... that just seems so wrong! (lol) I can only imagine the shift in the kids' body chemistry.

    You know I don't eat fruit, but that Dole whip actually sounds pretty good!

    CS Lewis' quote is something I think I'll print and add to my bulletin wall. Pretty comforting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With that six-pack of slow-down we might need a six pack of energy drinks as well! You don't eat fruit?? Why not?? Or is that too personal. These Dole Whips are to lie for my friend! Yes, love the quote too!

      Delete
    2. No, not too personal at all. Not sure why, but that's one food group that I've never enjoyed; in fact, there's a book titled (I think) "Eating Right for Your Type" (blood type). Come to find out, mine (O-negative) is naturally predisposed to red meat ... which I could eat to the exclusion of everything else!

      Delete
    3. That is interesting Myra. I am a red-meat eater too!!

      Delete
  6. Hi Paula! Thanks for coming to my blog and letting me know hat I was missed. I am trying to get in the swing, but I still need meds. I will try to catch up on your blog this week, but I wanted to read your daybook entry. You are the one who got me reading a long time before I started posting my own. Oh my goodness, that pineapple dessert looks fabulous! I love pineapple. So glad you are enjoying your planner. I know you took some time deciding which one wojld work for you. Debate camp sounds like fun! The furnace filter topic brought back early widow memories! Buy the right dimensions and pay attention to the arrows on the filters! As for the dryer ducts, Call me quirky, but I like that chore. :-) Three bottles of Paula's Slow Time, please: one for now, one for Christmas break, and one for Spring Break. Talk to you soon as I try to catch up on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gram! Good to see you out and about! I want to come over and read your Daybook! I found that out about paying attention to the arrows on the furnace filter. Had a horrible time getting it out after 6 months. The furnace guys gave me a lesson when I had to call them! Why oh Why didn't I pay attention to Richard when he wanted me to learn these things!!

      Delete
  7. Paula, I am currently reading "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. Run, don't walk, run to the library and get this book. It is pee your pants funny....literally....I had to change my drawers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I am going to add it to my list. I need pee in your pants funny sometimes.

      Delete
  8. I finished Good Night Beautiful last week (can't remember the author) but it was very good and hard to put down. It started a bit slow but then got going and then was hard to put down. I always remember trying to get the kids back into a school schedule a few weeks before it would start again; it was hard for them to want to get up in the mornings, LOL. Honestly, I think teens would do better if school started later for them (like noon, LOL) since the majority of them like to sleep :)

    I haven't had that Disney treat, but it looks delicious! Might have to make it here too!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think of the Dole Whip! I agree about getting them back on schedule. Maybe a noon start would be a good idea. But at my age I am too old to change my ways. Looking into the book you recommended!!

      Delete
  9. Apparently there's a food truck or something that does those pineapple whips that comes to a local farmers market. I have yet to be there on the right weekend, but I'll have to try it if I manage to find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh. It is a good thing there is not a food truck in y neighborhood with Dole Whips. I'd not only go broke, but would weigh 400 pounds! They are delicious.

      Delete
  10. Wow, Paula, what a busy blog you posted today! Good ideas and fun to read. I can't imagine keeping up with the planner but it looks like lots of fun -- especially for people like me who love paper and stickers and notebooks. Pineapple is tops on my shopping list too. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. I will let you know if I keep up with this! I am not very good at finishing what I start sometimes.

      Delete
  11. As always, love these posts. Funny should mention the Disney whips--I bought some fresh pineapple the other day to put in fruit smoothies and thought of them myself. We got one of those "super Ninja" sets--I've been making smoothies like crazy in the nutri-bullets. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darian was just asking me about one of those 'smoothie' makers yesterday. I guess I should look into it! Maybe jump on the smoothie train. I am happy to see you Lisa!

      Delete
  12. Good morning, lovely to meet you on the internet! I'm popping over from the daybook linky. I haven't done mine yet...later today, maybe. You reminded me to tell my Mr. C. just how very much I appreciate everything he does for me around the house. I am sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what my life would be like without my husband. Oh, and I, too, have a pineapple in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, tell him now how much you appreciate him. My Mr. knew I appreciated him. He knew how much I would miss him! And I do!

      Delete
  13. Hello! I'm on Goodreads, I'm lazy about posting anything, but I love reading reviews and things... I should do more there, lol. I am going to try that "honey garlic chicken thighs" recipe - thanks for the link ;)
    Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice seeing you Anita. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  14. Hi my friend!!! I would love to have a few dozen bottles of Paula's Slow Time! That would be terrific! I would LOVE to have you as my taxi driver, that would be so much fun! We had about 3 hot days ( hot for here) in a row, and now we are back to rain, I think I am growing gills and moss. But..my geraniums love this weather! So far, if this rain keeps up though, we will be growing rice! I love what you are saying, and it makes good sense to me, man I need to write this down. When you send me the bottles of Paula's Slow Time, please send me a copy of your new book, "Listen to Paula"! :) You know, I really admire Darian for enjoying debating, in school, I HATED it, it was like watching paint dry. Now, I don't mind it so much, but having to actually do it for grades made it so much more annoying. I am going to have to check out your planner board, I was spying on several of your other ones the other day! I hope you have a wonderful week! BIG HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We had rain here today as well. But only lasted long enough for the sun to come out and drive the humidity up. LOL! I don't know if me writing a book would be worth anything. According to my granddaughter I am very opinionated and not everyone wants to hear my opinion!! I could never have competed in debate either. I was too shy. It has been very good for him. This will be his 3rd year. Big hugs to you as well my friend!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!