Monday, August 24, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook-August 24th Edition

For Today...


It's Monday, August 24, 2015. One week left in the month. Then we pass into the fall months of the year. I like fall! I like the changing color of the trees. I like fall plants. I like the cooler temperatures.  What do you like about fall? I will link with Peggy at The Simple Woman's Blog. It is an "August Link-up". Let's be sure to see what the other ladies are up to this week.








Outside my window...


The sun is shining through the window, onto my back,as I sit here at my desk, typing. The air is cool. Only 68*. Unbelievably, temps are getting into the upper 50's at night the past couple of nights. The weather forecast for this week shows temps only into the mid 80's. All sunshine. Until Thursday. Predicting thunderstorms that day.








I am thinking...

I am thinking about this past week and all the things that went right and all the things that went wrong. Isn't that a bit how our lives are? We have good days and we have bad days. In the end all the days make us who we are. I am not going to take this moment to focus on the bad things. But to focus on the good things. I will go back and deal with the bad things later. Maybe.


A couple more pictures of our picnic. We played Mad Gab laying on a blanket in the shade of a big, old cottonwood tree. Have you ever played Mad Gab? This game is a hoot. We laughed and laughed. See the phrase on the card: House Sweet This Hound! You say that phrase and your opponents try to guess what it is. (How sweet the sound)! So funny at times. And laughter is good for the soul. At least it is for this old lady's soul.








I am thankful...

I am thankful we had a beautiful day on Friday for a picnic. I am thankful for the beautiful day Sunday. Whenever I get up in the mornings and think about turning the furnace on "just to take the chill off the house" then you know the weather is Kansas is changing. My budget will be thankful for the lower electric bills.








I am wearing...

I am wearing a soft, blue tee shirt with tan shorts. Not that cool tonight in the house. So the shorts feel good. (I am writing this on Sunday night and will finish on Monday). 








I am creating...

My goal this week is to create some space in Darian's closet and drawers. He has so many tee shirts. Some can be pitched because they became so 'yucky' from his summer job. Some he has outgrown. Same with a big pile of jeans. And then I will be able to see what he needs for the winter ahead. Might be the last time I get to shop for his clothes. I am turning him over to the United States Marine Corps after graduation. They can dress him! Hip, hip ,horray. But, of course, we will miss him. I am also creating our weekly menu. It's back to school week here. And I am pondering what to do for a fall mantle project.








I am going...

I am going to start thinking about what I want to accomplish this fall. I have some outside paint touch ups. I need to get my back door scraped and painted. I am ready to once again tackle Darian's bedroom. I need to finish it for him before he leaves home. He is such a great kid that he hasn't at all minded having it 'un-done' this whole past year while his granny grieved. And speaking of grieving, it has been 13 months now. Darian and I were talking last night and he became very pensive and thoughtful while I was talking about Papa. I have worried about Darian. He doesn't show his emotions. He admitted to me that he has bottled them up. That he doesn't want to believe that Papa is gone and NEVER coming back. Broke my heart. But I think it will be good for him. We are going to talk more in coming days. I will take it slowly and let him decide how much he wants to share. He's been so strong. And so brave. I keep telling him that his Papa would be so proud of him.








I am wondering...

I am wondering what I will do today. Usually I need Monday's to recover from the family over the weekend. All the hub-bub. The noises. The activity. But this weekend, even with Justin and Paige here, was rather quiet. I need to start some laundry. And clean the kitchen. Wipe down the cabinets. How on earth do cabinets get so dirty? Beyond me!

 








I am reading...

Still working my way through The Girls From Ames. Getting closer to the end. It has been an interesting read. Not fascinating. But interesting. Made me think a lot about friendships from my own life. I am going to write a blog post about it in the future. Do you think about the friends you have had over a life time? Where are they? What happened that you didn't stay in touch? Who touched you the deepest? Who do you miss the most? Who is the ones that are still there when you need them?


 








I am praying...

I have always loved The Lord's Prayer. Don't you. I am not a super religious person. I have that proverbial 'potty mouth' at times. I have been known to sin! LOL! I don't attend church all that much. But I do trust in God.  When I am anxious I repeat The Lord's Prayer to myself. This was my go-to prayer whenever we were flying. Richard used to tease me about it. But that's okay. It's gotten me through some rough times.



There are so many ways to say the Lord's Prayer. This is the one I learned. This is how I say it. Is this the same way you say the Lord's Prayer? What is your version?








 








I am learning...

I am reviewing all of James 1. Verses 1-27. I know it pretty well. Starting September 14 we will be memorizing Isaiah 12. It is a shorter verse. Only 6 verses. We will work on it until October 25th. Then the holiday break. So the last memorization of 2015 will be Isaiah 12. Want to join? I memorize with The Do Not Depart Group. I use Scripture Typer. There are many ways to memorize. They are a helpful group.



 








I am stressing about...


Why oh why do I need to stress. I stress about everything. Are the kids okay? Has the beginnings of their lives messed them up? Will they seek out their parents, one day, and fall back into that trap? Will they be able to deal with a good strong psyche? Will we have enough money to live on? What if something major happens that I need to fix. How will we manage? Will my car hold out? Can I help the kids become good enough drivers to get their licenses? Can I afford more insurance? Who can help me with all of this worrying? I say my prayers and ask for God to help me. But I just won't leave my problems with him. I hope he is listening.  


 








In my kitchen...

Monday...Breakfast for dinner

Tuesday...Pork Chops with Stuffing

Wednesday...Kids will eat at church

Thursday...Harley cooks Hamburger Helper!

Friday...Spaghetti and garlic bread

Saturday...Hamburgers on the grill

Sunday...Roast Beef and fixings


 








I am celebrating....

I am celebrating the return to school! Darian's senior year. Harley is a sophomore. Paige has already returned and has finished her first week.








A favorite quote for today...




This is such a true statement. I love Elisabeth Kubler-Ross. She has so much to say on the subject of death. I studied some of her books when I was a nursing student. Such a wise woman!
























A peek into one of my weeks...

This is back to school week at our house. On Monday Darian has debate practice at the school from 4-8 p.m. So I will be driving him and picking him up. About a 30 mile round trip. Wednesday will be their first mid-week church youth group at the new time. Dinner at 7:30 with teen time from 8-9 p.m. We will see how that goes. Then Thursday is the big day!! School starts!! Haven't yet heard from the bus driver as to what time they will be picked up but I imagine it will be close to the same time from last year. 6:57 a.m. Darian will either stay after school that day for debate or go work out with the Marine babies (my name for the group of guys that have enlisted or will be enlisting in the next year). We'll wrap up the week on Friday. And wait to hear if Justin and Paige are coming back again for next weekend. I am looking forward to some alone time! Some me time! Some 'do what I want' time. Do you look forward to that?

 








One of my favorite things...

I have a new (to me anyway) favorite way to cook chicken. I can't believe I have never been into whole chickens up until now. On Sunday I cooked a whole chicken in the crock pot... 6 hours on high. (First I marinated it all night in the refrigerator in a whole bottle of Teriyaki Ginger marinade.) I took it out of the crock pot and put it into a hot oven for about 10 minutes; crisped the skin. Oh my gosh. This chicken was amazing! Can't wait to make another one. Mashed potatoes, gravy, steamed carrots, corn and Brussels sprouts finished out the meal. (The corn and Brussels sprouts were leftovers that needed to leave the fridge)





On The Corner of my desk this week...

I'm planning with Willie and Mickey this week!


 


**********************************************************************************

24 comments:

  1. I love the fall months, there is so much beauty to be found in Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That game is hysterical. And, those worries are so enormous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it!! And yes, they are enormous. I should put them to rest, don't you think?

      Delete
  3. I am a worrier. Cant help it. I am a worry queen and I have very deep wrinkles in my forehead from the years of worry.
    I have never played that game but it sounds fun!
    I cant wait for the fall. I am all about my boots and its too hot to wear them right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harley and Paige just said that this past weekend. They can't wait to wear their boots. Me, I live in shorts year-round. Shorts and boots look silly, don't you think? I don't like being the worry queen at our house. But I can't seem to let go of it. I just sent you an email. We received the package!!!!

      Delete
  4. Ah worries. It'd be nice not to have them. I hope for some cooler weather soon, but at the moment we're looking at another warm up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to warm up again next week. But doesn't look like we will have anymore of the stifling weather!

      Delete
  5. Fall is pretty much a myth in Phoenix, but that doesn't stop me from longing to return to my childhood mountaintop home where the night air would turn incredibly crisp. Pulling on soft flannel pj's and sipping hot cocoa was the Best!

    Yes, your version of The Lord's Prayer is the same as what I learned. (and yes, I recite It to myself every single time the plane in which I'm seated begins to gather speed for take-off)! Are you familiar with the Prayer for Protection? Of late, that's my most-loved prayer/mantra, what-have-you.

    PS - Love this picture of the 3 of you at your picnic. Harley is certainly stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Myra! I don't think I would like living where there are not four seasons. Well maybe winter. When I am walking and driving on ice then you won't be jealous of me. I am happy to know another Lord's Prayer flyer. I will Google the Prayer for Protection. Thank you for thinking Harley is stunning. It is said that she resembles her granny LOL!!

      Delete
  6. the trees wearing their fancy colors - the crisp scents in the air - the wind picking up - that energy I get with the cooler weather - the geese flying overhead as they go south... I totally love fall - my favorite time of year. But it seems, as the years go by, we get less and less of a true autumn - the summer heat lingers on too long! But I'll take what I can get! And now that I'm wearing scarves - both knitted and store bought fabric ones - I look forward to being able to put them on again!!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All wonderful reasons to love fall Linda!!

      Delete
  7. I can't believe that it's been hotter here than where you are! We've had 10 consecutive days of 80+ and high humidity (that's rare!)

    I can't wait for cooler temps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Mad Gab game sounds fun :) I'm a worrier too, though I know better and shouldn't be. God does hear our prayers and is listening. I think sometimes he would like to loudly tell us "I got it handled, just trust in me." I always liked the first day when the kids went back to school after summer vacation. Enjoyed that quiet house.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Now I can just imagine God screaming that at us!! I will enjoy the quiet house. And yes, Mad Gab is a blast!

      Delete
  9. My goodness....you started so many conversations you started this morning. We need to sit down with a cup of coffee and talk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely blend of daily reality and reflections on life. :) i notice the dew is heavy this morning and the air is chilly here, too. Fall cometh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is coming. Cool weather will be nice for awhile. But not winter. I don't like winter. It is so long.

      Delete
  11. I can't believe how fast Fall has approached us either. Just a tad too fast, but like you, I love Fall. I have a hard time picking between Spring and Fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love summer. It was my favorite. I loved being outside and in the pool. Now it is just too hot to go outside in the summer. I love spring too! It is just such a time of new beginnings!

      Delete
  12. I am ready, but not ready for Fall.... your menu looks yummy! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!