Monday, August 17, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook-August 17th Edition

Here we are: Starting the third week of August. School starts next Wednesday. Join me today at A Simple Woman's Blog in posting my daybook entry.
 
 
For Today...

Today is Monday, August 17, 2015. Half-way through the month already. School to start next week.


Outside my window...

Weather in Kansas is often crazy. There is a saying that "if you don't like the weather in Kansas you just need to wait a minute...it will change." If fact I think that saying is true for many places besides Kansas. It used to be that August in Kansas was brutal. Not so much anymore. It is more like a lead in to fall weather. Today is overcast! Maybe rain later. And the temp is only 75*. That is amazing when I think of the many, many very hot August days of my past.


I am thinking...

I am thinking of what I need to do today. I have filled the dishwasher and will start it soon. I need to take a shower. I need to start a load of laundry. I have to drive Darian to debate practice this afternoon. Harley and I are going to stop at the little boutique in Buhler, Adrian's, to look at Vera Bradley book bags. We have been saving and might have enough to buy one for her this year. I'll let you know! 


I am thankful...

I am thankful, as always, for the family! Justin returned from his trip to Austin, Texas. I told him to bring me a cowboy as a souvenir. He said that Austin really wasn't about cowboys because it was a hippie community! So I said, "then just bring home Willie Nelson." Well he did! On a coffee cup. So Willie and I can have coffee together every morning. What can be better than that?


I am hoping...

I am hoping the beginning of school will go smoothly for the kids. Paige has already started. Her first day was on Friday. She had a mishap of being in the wrong class and going to the wrong lunch period but got it all straightened out in her head now. She was embarrassed. But it will give her something to remember her sophomore year by. She said that after she figured out she was in the wrong place she hid out in the bathroom and texted her best friend, who came and rescued her. How funny! Good thing they have cell phones now to summon help.


I am creating...

I am creating my Happy Planner week! My color theme this week is pink and green. I am also working on my weekly menu. I have to figure out who is going to be home for dinner this week and plan accordingly. Darian has debate practices on Monday and Thursday's from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. and on Wednesday they are having their "Back To School Paint Party" at church, which includes eating Pizza. They are given spanking-brand new tee shirt and paint each other. Stay tuned for pictures!!


I am going...

I am going to clean up some of my computer files. Doesn't that feel like a never ending job. I click and save and then I have to file and delete. I love how easy it is to clean in the computer. Wish I could click and delete in the laundry room closet......


I am wondering...

I have been wondering about what things I need to do to get my house ready to sell. It is not something I am going to do right away. But in the next year I might! Maybe next summer. There is so much that needs to be cleaned out! All the sites I read say: GET RID OF THE Clutter. So that will be my challenge in the months ahead. It shouldn't be that hard. Except in the garage maybe. I might need to seek help there. I have no idea what to keep and what to get rid of when it comes to all the tools Richard had. I'm pretty sure I'll get lots of advice though.


I am reading...

I just have to keep repeating here. Still reading The Girls of Ames. Hasn't been holding my attention very well. But I have an entire blog post forming in my head for when I review this book. Stay tuned.
 


 


I am learning...

When the kids came home from church yesterday I learned their Wednesday night church times were going to change. From 6:30 to 8:30 (the times they go now) to 7:30 to 9:00. No one really likes the new time. They are needing to divide up the middle school kids from the high school kids. Apparently not enough room to divide them by proximity, so they are changing times. And 7:30 will be their meal time. I don't know how that will work with our schedules. We will have to see. Darian has been wanting to visit another church. It is closer to our house. Harley is balking at the moment. But, then, Harley always balks when it comes to change. She is kind of like her granny!


In my garden...

Soon will be the end of the gardening season. My geraniums (which are my only plants) are almost spent. While at the store this weekend they were already displaying mums. Might be time to change! Mums in August. Just doesn't seem right, does it?
 


In my kitchen...
 
(Last week worked out so well with the kids planning that I am going to give them another run at it. Their picks are simple. I like that for the waning days of summer.
 
 
Monday...Leftovers
 
Tuesday...French Toast and sausage
 
Wednesday...Kids eating at church
 
Thursday...Harley's Hamburger Helper
 
Friday...Grilled cheese and tomato soup
 
Saturday...Taco Bar
 
Sunday...Sesame Ginger Chicken, scalloped potatoes, corn


I am listening to....

I am listening to the Tornado sirens blowing in the background. They are tested every Monday during the noon hour. They are working fine today!! Also have The Chew on TV.


A favorite quote for today...









Isn't this so true. Time does solve most things!! I'm working on solving what time isn't! How about you?











 
A peek into one of my days...

This week we have several things on the agenda. Darian with debate on Monday and Thursday afternoon. We are going on a picnic Tuesday if it doesn't rain. We are also going to see my friend, Rozann, on Tuesday. She has some clothes for Harley. On Wednesday there is the Back to School Party at church. And then the weekend is here again. I am thinking we will plan a family game night for Saturday. Been awhile since we played Tenzi or dominoes.


One of my favorite things...

One of my favorite things, at this time of the year, is peaches. I just bought a half-bushel. I will need to get them worked pretty soon. For peaches get ripe really fast. Darian has been enjoying, leaning over the sink, letting the juice run down his chin, eating a whole peach. I see a Peach Cobbler in our future.

 

not my peaches....they belong to Google!

 
 















From the board room...


From my Pinterest board Desserts and Goodies this Peach Cobbler Recipe. This is one board that I don't have filled with recipes. We are not a big 'dessert' family. But we do like to splurge once in awhile. And this week will be the week.
 


Post Script

This week I am going to send you over to visit with Joanne at Cup on The Bus. I do not remember how I met Joanne, but she is another grandma raising grandkids. She has two granddaughters living with her. She writes about her family, her garden, the cats and if you dig into the archives there is so much history. Be sure to click on the words: Inquiring Minds at the top of the page so you can find out why her blog is Called Cup on the Bus. Love the story. Tell Joanne hello and that I sent you over to visit.
 




****************************


16 comments:

  1. How nice of you to mention me. I think you are a more forbearing grandma than I; my youngest granddaughter has reached that hyperventilating stage her older sister was in when I acquired them three years ago. I am pleased with the maturity of the 16 year old and can only think, well, one more time and I'm done. Only five more years.
    Mums should be for September, October, but my flowers are looking done and it may be time for the mums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I don't know if I am really more forbearing. I keep telling myself that I only have three more years until I'm done. I don't know if I will miss them or enjoy my alone time! Time will tell.

      Delete
  2. I like how the kids come up with their choices for dinner; that's half the battle for me, trying to figure out what to make and keep it interesting and changed up a bit. Good idea when you are ready to ask the advice of a man for tool items; I was clueless about those when we were decluttering, what some were and what would be a fair price to sell them for at the garage sale since hubby could not take every single tool his dad had since he often had the same tools himself. Sounds like a fun week ahead for the kids last week before school starts.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too Betty. Sometimes the hardest part of meals is the planning. They like to help with that and it helps me. Don't tell them though or they won't like it as much.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe it's hotter here than where you are! It's very humid and in the upper 80s. Unusual for my part of Maine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hard for me to believe too! But we'll get back up into the 90's I'm sure.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a busy week. You guys start school early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get out in the middle of May. That is why we start earlier!

      Delete
  5. That's so neat about Justin bringing you "Willie's mug" mug! I'm a wee bit jealous, yes. :)
    Did Harley find her book bag? Here, I always assumed(!) Vera Bradley's stuff was more for ladies my age ... but I consulted eBay and darn if they're not really cute!

    Poor Paige! I had a similar incident happen to me in h.s. where I showed up ready to take place in a swim meet where I wasn't actually entered. So many years later, that memory still makes my face turn red!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darian's debate practice was canceled due to a plumbing emergency at the coaches house so we didn't make it to shop. Maybe Thursday. Paige had a much better day today! I cannot imagine how embarrassed you were.

      Delete
  6. Enjoy your mornings with Willie. What is Tenzie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tenzie is a dice game. The rules are simple - everyone starts out with 10 dice and the goal is to roll your dice as fast as you can until all of them show the same number. Every time you roll, you are allowed to set aside any dice that match your desired number. When all ten of the dice show the same number, you shout "Tenzi!," throw your hands in the air, and gloat while the other players gnash their teeth. We have had lots of fun with it!

      Delete
  7. Having coffee with Willie every morning really doesn't get any better!! I love him so much. I have a tshirt that says have a Willie Nice Day!!
    Vera Bradley have so many fun patterns. What colors does Harley like? I like the pinks and oranges. The 7:30 to 9 seems awfully late for the school kids, especially if they have homework. I wouldn't be a fan of that at all.
    I lived with my grandma off an on growing up and it was the most awesome times of my life. You're a great grandma Paula!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, nothing better than having coffee with Willie everyday!! Harley's favorite colors are the pinks, oranges, and greys!! I don't know how great of a grandma I am. I do what I am having to do!!

      Delete
  8. Paula, will you email me please? I cant find your email address anywhere on your blog. My personal email is hollihd@mindspring.com
    I have a question to ask you......

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!